BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Payment terms for editing network tv show

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max KaiserPayment terms for editing network tv show
by on Jul 16, 2011 at 5:33:22 pm

Hi there,

We're being asked to edit a network tv show (for a small network, mind you, not a biggie) and the payment terms are sort of tough on us. They are 25% down, and then the remainder when the show is paid for by the network which is a few months after we finish the work.

I seem to remember someone saying that this was common, and I just wanted to check with others that do this more often that this is as "normal" as anything can be in this business!

Any tips on how you handle the contract, etc. would be welcome.

Thanks,
Max

Max Kaiser
Director
Hand Crank Films
http://www.handcrankfilms.com

Various Intel
FCP 7
OS 10.5
RED/XDCAM/7D

Return to posts index

Andrew RendellRe: Payment terms for editing network tv show
by on Jul 16, 2011 at 6:17:48 pm

I'm usually 30 days, sometimes staged payments on an agreed timetable, occasionally longer (45 or 60 days). The only time I agreed to wait "until the client pays us" I ended up not getting paid at all, so there's no way that I'll accept that again. Fortunately I've never been asked to do so.

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Payment terms for editing network tv show
by on Jul 17, 2011 at 2:45:32 am

MONTHS after you deliver? Sorry, WEEKS. And two to three at most.

This isn't the way things are typically done. You get a fee up front for pre-production and production, then another when you start post, then a final payment when you deliver the show. The fee for when you start post is to pay for the editors and the equipment...salaries. Pay to happen weekly or bi-weekly. PERIOD.

Sounds sketchy to me. 25% up front, then 75% when all is done. No way. More like 10% for pre production, 30% for production, 40% for post (or 40% for pre and production, and 40% for post), then a final 20% upon delivery. In my 15 years in post I haven't been on a show that is 25% then 75%. And I never went beyond two weeks without pay. Well, except that one time, when i was scammed out of two months pay. But never again. Two weeks the longest between pay...or no deal.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Richard CooperRe: Payment terms for editing network tv show
by on Jul 17, 2011 at 3:44:34 am

Yeah, we negotiated a per episode rate. W we would get 40% each time we started an episode and 60% each time we delivered and episode (payment due before we shipped to network) and we were working on a
2 episodes at any given point with staggered start and finish times. When we finished one we got that 60% plus the 40% to start the next one so there was 100% payment every time except the first and last episode....

Worked out really well.

I would not agree to waiting so long to get paid unless you really trust these folks.... and even then it is a risk....

Good luck!

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

Scott SheriffRe: Payment terms for editing network tv show
by on Jul 17, 2011 at 10:28:36 pm

[Max Kaiser] "We're being asked to edit a network tv show (for a small network, mind you, not a biggie) and the payment terms are sort of tough on us. They are 25% down, and then the remainder when the show is paid for by the network which is a few months after we finish the work."

That is a ridiculous amount of time to wait. Don't do it.
Ask them what their terms are to buy commercial time. I'll bet they expect most, if not all of their money upfront and won't run spots and let the clients pay months down the road.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Mark RaudonisRe: Payment terms for editing network tv show
by on Jul 18, 2011 at 4:00:50 am

Run, don't walk away from this offer.

If you DO take it , please don't come back here with a sob story about how you were taken advantage of by this network. This is a sucker, low ball offer that will make you want to quit the business if you take it. Please do yourself and your colleagues a favor by telling them where they can stick their questionable business practices.

The only circumstances that can justify this kind of payment schrdule is if you're a profit participant in the project... Which I doubt you are.

Good luck.

Mark

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Payment terms for editing network tv show
by on Jul 18, 2011 at 2:00:55 pm

They are asking you to be a bank, giving out no-interest loans on your own money. Counter-offer with payment in thirds, first third up front to star work, the middle third at the first rough-cut stage, and the final third upon delivery.

Rule number two about negotiating: they have to believe you are willing to walk away from a bad deal.

...Are you?

Return to posts index

Art GarfieldRe: Payment terms for editing network tv show
by on Aug 3, 2011 at 10:01:12 pm

Now thats real talk!...lol....I have a question..is there a site that tells u what networks are paying for new shows independantly produced...?

Return to posts index

Max KaiserRe: Payment terms for editing network tv show
by on Aug 3, 2011 at 10:06:54 pm

YES! That would a be a great find!

Also, thanks for all the responses. The client is actually pretty cool, and was quick to work with me to make things work out better for us. Really, I wasn't too concerned about them, just sort of into finding out what the norm is.

Thanks again,
Max

Max Kaiser
Director
Hand Crank Films
http://www.handcrankfilms.com

Various Intel
FCP 7
OS 10.5
RED/XDCAM/7D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>