BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Anyone know how to get stock footage from The History Channel?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg BallAnyone know how to get stock footage from The History Channel?
by on Jul 6, 2011 at 9:36:58 pm

I'm working on a project that something to do with Solar storms. I found this great footage on Youtube, but obviously I'd like to purchase some of the footage and the rights. Does anyone know how to get this footage, or who supplied this to the History Channel? I assume most of it is animation, and would be too costly to recreate. Thanks for your advice.

Here's the link:

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Anyone know how to get stock footage from The History Channel?
by on Jul 6, 2011 at 10:32:38 pm

The only way to get stock footage from HISTORY is to be working on a HISTORY show. They don't provide footage for outsiders..at this time. And if it was a custom animation for a show, it might be difficult to use it even IF you were doing a show for HISTORY.

And what they do, which is REALLY annoying, is send you a copy of the show. You use the footage from the finished show...they don't give you the originals. Which is REALLY odd seeing that they DEMAND that all the original footage be turned over to them.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Anyone know how to get stock footage from The History Channel?
by on Jul 7, 2011 at 2:47:14 am

In a former life as an AP for a relatively small-time PBS series, I was often tasked with submitting similar requests to various networks, etc. The standard operating procedure is to spend months on phonecalls and letters to every company involved with the production, then on the outside chance you successfully finagled permission from all of them, send in every dime you have ever earned in your life ... along with a contract stating that you will send in every dime you ever earn in the future. In other words, even if the History Channel would sell you their footage or animations (personally, I trust Shane's advice that is a dead end), don't expect it to cost anywhere near the relatively nominal costs of buying "stock" footage/animations or even having your own footage shot and animations built. You have to understand that having their content show up in your production detracts from the value of their production so it takes boat loads of cash to make that worthwhile for entities that just aren't in the business of selling their source footage or animations.

Return to posts index

Scott CarnegieRe: Anyone know how to get stock footage from The History Channel?
by on Jul 7, 2011 at 2:16:50 pm

See if there is anything on the NASA website, their footage is public domain.

http://www.MediaCircus.TV
Media Production Services
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]