BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Facebook as a "Resume" to hire an employee

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luis O Maymi
Facebook as a "Resume" to hire an employee
on Jul 1, 2011 at 9:30:11 pm

Hello COW Community

This is not exactly video related, but I would like to hear what you think about this.
I recently wrote an article for my blog, "Facebook Resume; Hiring someone for a Job" and I was wondering if you think to be unethical to use Facebook as a "Resume" to hire an employee?. I personally believe that business should consider this because they should hire the best people that can make their business grow (Facebook will sure give a lot of information about a person). I wrote about things that should be consider when evaluating the person Facebook profile, such as the pictures. What do you all think?

The meaning of a movie are the characters, the life of the movie is the music, but the magic is in the editing.
http://www.xeneuxe.com/lomaymi

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: Facebook as a "Resume" to hire an employee
on Jul 1, 2011 at 10:30:05 pm

[Luis O Maymi] "This is not exactly video related, but I would like to hear what you think about this.
I recently wrote an article for my blog, "Facebook Resume; Hiring someone for a Job" and I was wondering if you think to be unethical to use Facebook as a "Resume" to hire an employee?. I personally believe that business should consider this because they should hire the best people that can make their business grow (Facebook will sure give a lot of information about a person). I wrote about things that should be consider when evaluating the person Facebook profile, such as the pictures. What do you all think?"

I see your point, but I think using FB is loaded with potential problems.
1. You don't always know the context of the pictures, lots of them don't have any explanation. Some could be humor, sarcasm, whatever. Most probably are, what they are, but still.
2. People that are hip to what you want to do, could 'salt' their FB or other social media pages with heavily embellished facts, or flat out lies.
3. The word has gotten around about employers trolling FB pages for info on employees. Lots of folks have tighten up their preferences to keep most of the info hidden from anyone but friends. Others have sanitized their pages. Or both.
4. You might be opening yourself up for a lawsuit. Since people post a lot of religious and political opinions, plus other personal info you can't ask in an interview, they could claim that you used something on their FB page to discriminate against them.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jul 2, 2011 at 1:57:33 pm

Based upon my FB I am highly qualified to care for animals and to prepare Thanksgiving dinner. Not very helpful. I suppose if there were lots of photos of debauchery that might disqualify someone but most FB pages are about friends and family. Not job performance.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jul 2, 2011 at 3:10:28 pm

The majority of my facebook friends are family (I have uncles/aunts/cousins across several countries), so most of my pages are boringly parochial. I'm quite happy for anyone to have a look, but I'm not sure there's much that would give you an indication of what I'd be like to work with on there.

There are some forums on the web that I get passionately involved in, so my posts on them display my attitudes/tastes in some areas (science, green issues, politics, art and music), but they're special interest sites, not facebook.

I don't think it's unethical to look at someone's facebook page, but I'd be wary of drawing too much in the way of conclusions from what you find there. Maybe you can distinguish between people who try to "big" themselves up on facebook (making themselves look more interesting/controversial/fun than they really are) and those who are more privacy orientated (underplaying the things that would make them stand out), but I don't think I can unless I already know them.

Return to posts index

Luis O Maymi
on Jul 2, 2011 at 4:14:43 pm

I'm writing another article of other things to consider beside Facebook, such as Linkedin profiles, Klout score and forum participation. Like you I passionately participate in forum discussions (mostly Videomaker and starting to like the COW). For me participating in forum discussions is the best quality you can find in a potential employee because, most likely, that person is going to be more helpful than others. Of course, there are people that only ask and never participate in forums, so participation is what should be consider.

The meaning of a movie are the characters, the life of the movie is the music, but the magic is in the editing.
http://www.xeneuxe.com/lomaymi

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jul 3, 2011 at 5:23:01 pm

With the exception of 2, every job I've ever had had been via relationships. I meet someone, we talk, we find out how we can work together and voila! Business!

I don't trust resumes. I had a resume class from one of my jobs (they laid off a bunch of us and gave us some classes to get new jobs). The basic message was how to deceive an employer and boost yourself up. I'm not naive enough to think this doesn't happen a lot, but I find trial by fire to be most helpful. Also, going with my gut on people has proven most advantageous.

We also had a graphic designer whose resume was great and she interviewed great and all was amazing. She could do basic touchups in Photoshop. After she was voted off the island, we found her "work" on several other website tutorials. We got duped, but we soon implemented basic Photoshop, illustrator, and photo/video tests. We rarely do resumes - instead we rely on demonstrated skills and our guts. As for Facebook, it was never designed to be a part of a job hiring and, furthermore, isn't structured for factual data - its all opinions they are entitled to. We have used LinkedIn when offered as it is structured for things like job history. Also, it's helpful for sales jobs. I don't really care to know what employees do in their free time and I won't make their personal lives my business.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Scott Carnegie
on Jul 4, 2011 at 9:20:21 pm

If I can considering working with someone, freelance or on a crew, I scope their FB page everytime.

http://www.MediaCircus.TV
Media Production Services
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 6, 2011 at 1:54:16 pm

The only way I can see it making sense to use Facebook as some kind of psuedo-resume is to create a dedicated page only for the business, with no links or commenting ability or anything like that, no unrelated stuff on it at all, basically a "ship in a bottle": some pictures of the work, some video files, maybe a few paragraphs about a specific detail of the work.

But I think that's a lot of work to do for very poor results; a custom web page desgned as your online portfolio makes more sense to me.

I would think hard about what your public facebook profile reveals to potential clients or bosses. My own answer to this problem is that my facebook is basically closed off to all but a tight circle of family and a few close friends. Even then, I don't put up pics or vids that one of that circle might distribute, which would in any way embarass me. You're never going to see pics of me drunk and disorderly, or using recreational drugs, or being promiscuous. Because A, I don't roll that way, and B, I would never be stupid enough to put that stuff on the internet.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jul 6, 2011 at 4:07:40 pm

I don't know if I really agree with using Facebook to really judge anyone either. Not that an employer would see it because I have privacy settings amped up, but as a guy in his 20s, not everything that I post on Facebook is appropriate, nor are the comments and posts that my 20-something friends post. That's personal banter between friends. I would feel violated if I was being judged for something like that. Because despite what may or may not be on my Facebook page, I am the utmost professional at work, I work hard, and I do everything in my power to make myself a value to my company.

Luckily we also have a pretty loose environment at the office as well, but even so, I have not friended anyone from work on Facebook (and will not). Or anyone in my family! The way my privacy settings are set up, judging me on the conversations on my FB account would be like standing outside my door when I'm hanging out with my friends and eavesdropping.

Now, like Mark said, if you're dumb enough to have, say, a picture of yourself shirtless outside a bar, holding a joint, with blood on your knuckles; with a caption that says "typical tuesday night with the gang" then yeah, I wouldn't hire that guy either.

I suppose it's hard if you're a business owner and you want to hire the most appropriate, functional employees. And having all this access to their personal information is a nice tool to possibly judge some character, but I maintain that people can act differently around their friends than they do at work. Not that I'm doing anything particularly bad in my personal life, but it's much different than work, to say the least.

But if you put that info out there, then it's all fair game for people to look at it, I guess.

Return to posts index

Scott Carnegie
on Jul 7, 2011 at 2:18:57 pm

My personal FB is closed off except to my small friends list and I keep the content pretty PG. If FB was around when I was 19 it would probably be a different story lol

http://www.MediaCircus.TV
Media Production Services
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jul 13, 2011 at 4:28:41 am

Yes the world is full of digital information, but think back to the early 2000's before Facebook. How did we find out if a potential hire is a creep or not? We get references, we interview the person, we have others interview the final candidates, and you make every effort to not hire an axe murderer. And seriously, would an axe murderer really have evidence of this activity on his Facebook page?

:)

Return to posts index

Richard Allen
on Jul 9, 2011 at 5:09:23 am

I actually closed my FB page because I was finding out stuff I didn't want to know about people.

I think this is totally up to your company make (type, size, the position your looking for) but I believe private should be private and it starts with us all respecting that. On the other had there's a reponsibility for the individual to make sure there is such a thing as a private life. These days I have a hard time finding people who know how to keep there personal life private. I see business and private lives becoming one and I'm not liking it.

Though it's made some of you all a small fortune, I think reality TV has a lot to do with it (along with myspace, youtube and Facebook, not to mention the dumbest waste of company time-Twitter). Everybody wants everybody to see "Me".

I know I sound like an old fogie, but let people play on Facebook. Just tell'em not to bring that crap to work the next day.

My 2ยข

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]