BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Disclaimer for quotes

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dylan HargreavesDisclaimer for quotes
by on Jun 28, 2011 at 12:54:21 pm

Does anyone have an example of a good disclaimer to put at the bottom of a quote?

Something along the lines of 'information herein offered without warranty, if your requirements change the price of the quote may increase, but not decrease...' etc etc.

Some of the ones I've read basically imply that we as a company could literally charge whatever we wanted no matter what the quote says, which strikes me as a potential client-scarer.

Would be great if there was a standard statement for our industry cos I really don't want to have to pay a lawyer to draft one for us!

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Disclaimer for quotes
by on Jun 28, 2011 at 6:01:26 pm

Give me your email and I'll send you what we've been using. The page is put at the end of an estimate labeled as "The Really Big Fine Print." Use the format: "you(at)" to (hopefully) keep your email address from being directly harvested by the bots.

That said, the bottom line is we do whatever we can to do long-term, repeat work for people we trust and avoid grinders or fire them early in the process when their grinder characteristics start showing. I know that these days most people are hungry enough for work that they're less picky about who they will take on and I hope we can keep avoiding that. It's no fun working with people you can't trust or don't like.

Return to posts index

Dylan HargreavesRe: Disclaimer for quotes
by on Jun 28, 2011 at 7:45:39 pm

Hi Nick,

Thanks so much -that's really useful!

We enjoy a good relationship with most of our clients and it's mostly been pretty successful in the 4 years we've been going. However, I have had to educate one or two recently about how changing their minds and adding things to the production once work has commenced doesn't mean said things are done for free.

A nice bit of fine print on the quote to refer them to should help avoid any... unpleasantness. ;-)

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Malcolm MatuskyRe: Disclaimer for quotes
by on Jul 3, 2011 at 12:44:36 am

A quote is similar to an estimate, it's an approximation of cost to a client for work performed. Usually you do not know all the specifics of the job and if the client want's a more accurate valuation they will prepare a "bid" and it will have a description in great detail of the proposed job. Changes during the course of a job may affect cost, it is your discretion to charge more or not, this is usually where arguments occur with clients, this is the area your need to be clear with in your agreements.

If you quote a job, you do not have to do it, when you bid you generally do. Bidding is a much more formal (legal) process and is standard for large jobs.

For small jobs the contracting process is less formal, and problems can occur when you see the job differently than the client. As the job progresses, make sure to keep a "paper trail" of all communications with client, verbal changes are not OK, especially when you need more money to do more work, shooting or editing or complex graphics, etc.

Return to posts index

Werner BrandtRe: Disclaimer for quotes
by on Mar 25, 2015 at 4:37:18 am

Hello Nick,

Can you please send me a copy of the quote you are using. I am also interested in the disclaimer language.

Return to posts index

Scott CarnegieRe: Disclaimer for quotes
by on Jul 4, 2011 at 8:40:58 pm

This is what I use...

This quote is for estimation purposes and is not a guarantee of cost for services. Quote is based on current information from client about the project requirements. Actual cost may change once project elements are finalized or negotiated. Client will be notified of any changes in cost prior to them being incurred.

Media Production Services
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved