BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Transcoding rates

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bruno silva
Transcoding rates
on Jun 26, 2011 at 7:13:36 pm

I recently started freelancing as an Editor and a web designed has requested that I transcode a WMV file to an FLV file for a client's website. What do you guys usually charge, or suggest I charge, for something like this?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
Re: Transcoding rates
on Jun 27, 2011 at 9:28:26 am

Why would that be oustide of your normal time rate ...?

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Jun 27, 2011 at 12:52:51 pm

[Mike Smith] "Why would that be oustide of your normal time rate ...?"

Well, I've asked myself the same question Bruno is asking, because you are just sitting there letting the computer do the work. The client should pay for your knowledge and expertise, but perhaps on a per-file basis rather than your usual hourly rate?

Don't post houses do this with tapes? It's just a flat rate to transfer something to tape? Why not the same for transcoding. A flat price per file. Or a flat price per XX minutes of video that has to be transcoded.

Rob Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

bruno silva
on Jun 27, 2011 at 4:44:35 pm

I didnt want to charge an hourly rate. I did some research and post houses charges around $25 so I'll work with that number.

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Jun 27, 2011 at 5:21:32 pm

That sounds good. I think it's worth considering the length of the videos that need transcode, too. For instance, an 27 minute HDCam tape is $35. Maybe I would charge $35 for every file that a client wanted transcoded, and/or if the file is longer than 27 minute I'd charge $35 for every 27-minutes of video they want transcoded. Or just flat out $35 for every 27 minutes of video they want transcoded.

I'm sure you get the picture.

Rob Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

bruno silva
on Jun 27, 2011 at 7:33:00 pm

Thanks, very helpful.

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Jun 29, 2011 at 3:48:11 pm

I charge $25 per half hour. I also have my software on my laptop so it doesn't tie up my workstation.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 1, 2011 at 12:27:56 am

[bruno silva] "I recently started freelancing as an Editor and a web designed has requested that I transcode a WMV file to an FLV file for a client's website. What do you guys usually charge, or suggest I charge, for something like this?
Thanks"

It depends on how long it is.
If it is short and part of an hourly edit session, I do it at the editing rate.
Something that is long, or stand alone type work that I can let run while I'm doing something else (end of day/overnight) I charge less than the edit rate.
Actual rate depends on your geographic area.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]