BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Have Some Tough Desions to make.....

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Burke
Have Some Tough Desions to make.....
on Jun 23, 2011 at 10:52:49 pm

Hey all I have some tough decisions to make since the Release of FCP X. This release will cripple my Freelance FCP7 work, I mean why pay me money, when FCP X is so easy to use now, and Post houses sure aren't going to use it.. And Most likely allot Of FCP Houses, Will be changing over to something else in the next 1-2 years or so, whether its Avid or Adobe.

Needless to say I feel that I somewhat wasted my time and money investing into FCS in general. I can still use 7 (for now) but how long until its retired form the post world 1,2,3,4 years from now?

What should I do? Im freaking out. I feel like I was just raped on a pinball machine buy APPLE, while Steve Jobs watched.

Whats my next step?

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
Re: Have Some Tough Desions to make.....
on Jun 24, 2011 at 2:18:52 am

anyone...Help?

Return to posts index

Neil Hurwitz
on Jun 24, 2011 at 3:35:10 am

Needless to say I feel that I somewhat wasted my time and money investing into FCS in general. I can still use 7 (for now) but how long until its retired form the post world 1,2,3,4 years from now?

What should I do? Im freaking out. I feel like I was just raped on a pinball machine buy APPLE, while Steve Jobs watched.

Whats my next step?

Freaking out??
OH COME ON, Give me a break.
Are you kidding?
You have to ask yourself,
Can I tell a compelling story manipulating picture and sound?
If you can, so what if apple changes the buttons and functions.
There are other platforms that you can use.
If you were an auto mechanic and all American cars went metric,
Would you quit? Or just buy some new wrenches?
Furthermore
I find it insulting to all women to equate Apple making some FCP changes to Rape. My friend, You need to get some perspective here.
As for your next step
Buy a Taxi. Of course every 5 or six years you might have to replace
it and if that is too much of a burden, Get a job at the post office.
In a technology dependent field I find all this bitching and moaning
about Apple to be ridiculous. I especially get a kick out of those
Old hands who wacked the CMX world moaning over the "New Cool Kids" that they are worried about doing the same to them. WAH WAH WAH

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Jun 24, 2011 at 5:44:41 am

Oh...I'm sorry. I spent 11 years Learning and master this Software, and apple threw it away 2 days ago. I have no problem relearning stuff from scratch I was actually looking forward to it, but FCPX doesnt do half the things that FCP7 does so I cant use it and I dont think 1 year is going to change the way the program works in a professional environment. Completely gone moving forward. Am I not aloud to be nervous? Im going into Avid Cause apple isn't interested in the Professional world anymore. But thanks for you Kind words and help. I feel much better now.

PS: FCP X has no deck control...its a joke. Sorry but its a toy not a TOOL

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 25, 2011 at 6:12:14 pm

greg writes -
Oh...I'm sorry. I spent 11 years Learning and master this Software, and apple threw it away 2 days ago

REPLY -
do you want us to cry for you? We have been learning new crap OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER our entire lives. This is the technology part of the entertainment industry, and it is constantly changing, and instead of HAVING A LIFE, we are stuck inside reading manuals, playing with new software, and suffering year after year on how to make the same living, with new tools. If you have come from a background of linear editing, where you were a CMX expert, then it dies, and you then go to AVID (or EMC) and then to FCP, and then to all the graphics programs, etc, etc, etc. YOU BET it's frustrating. Should this make you feel better - OF COURSE NOT - you should feel SICK - we all feel sick - and you know what - if you don't like feeling sick, then GET OUT OF THE BUSINESS, becuase whatever we learn next (FCP-X, Premier, etc.) will be useless 5 years from now, and we will have to do it all over again.
So stop your damn whining, and OPEN A MANUAL. It's Saturday - no pleasant life your you, my friend - you are in SHOW BUSINESS.

I am taking my frustrations out on you, because I am in the same boat as you, and I am getting sick of it, but I ain't giving up.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Phillip Hullquist
on Jun 24, 2011 at 6:30:38 am

You are overreacting a bit as to the state of the editing business. Just because the software is getting easier to use does not mean the industry is somehow destroyed. I remember back how some people were worried when Sony demoed an inexpensive HD camcorder (the Z1U) at NAB. Business did not just disappear once anyone could afford a quality video camera and the same won't happen with software. Good editors are valuable because they know how to take a collection of media and turn it into a work of art. Easy to use editing software has been available to consumers for many years and FCPX is just another one on the list.

To answer your original question though, I would suggest that you continue your work with FCP7 while starting to learn other systems as well. All of the editing techniques you have learned are not wasted as they will just transfer to whatever software is being used in the future. I have used many systems over the last 10 years and they are all quite similar in execution.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 24, 2011 at 2:08:44 pm

You can teach a monkey to push buttons. But you can't teach him how to create a story. I have had to learn and abandon around ten different linear and non-linear systems in my career so far since school. Yes, change is inconvenient. But this job beats digging ditches, any day. I know you feel better if you had the future all mapped out and planned, who wouldn't. For now, that plan might be to wait and see what develops, and keep on keeping on. It could involve starting to explore re-training for whatever your next system choice will be. Learning is never wasted, you retian the benefits long after.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 24, 2011 at 7:00:08 pm

[Phillip Hullquist] "You are overreacting a bit as to the state of the editing business. Just because the software is getting easier to use does not mean the industry is somehow destroyed."

This is your future. From the LA Craigs:

"We are seeking for a full time video editor to edit short segment video clips for our network of websites.

These are the requirements to apply and you must meet every single criteria:

- An expert in Final Cut Pro. We are looking to upgrade to FCP X...any knowledge of this would be very helpful.
- Be able to work in an extremely fast, high energy, fun environment.
- An expert in different video formats and the MAC OS X environment.
- Be able to edit on the fly, EXTREMELY fast when asked to turn around a job.
- Have general knowledge of celebrities.
- Work very organized and follow edit bay's organizational system.
- You must be creative. We don't want to spoon feed you when asking for a clip. You need to be able to understand on quick directions and turn the job around FAST.
- Our videos are very high energy and fast (average video is around 1 minute). Make sure you can cut a quick clip and not lose the audience.
- Have transportation to get to the office.
- Able to use teleprompter software.

In order to apply, please submit your resume and a link to your reel.

* Compensation: $15 per hour
"

I guess if you think you can get away with 15 bucks an hour in LA, what will this gig pay if it was in Nashville, or Denver?

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Ivan Radovanovic
on Jun 24, 2011 at 3:31:28 pm

It is amazing how much panic I saw over last couple of days.
Learning editing techniques is a serious thing.
Learning technical details about video / film is a serious thing
Learning any new NLE is a joke.
Honestly I don't think that any FCP editor need more than 7-10 days to learn PP (for example). For MC maybe a bit longer, but it's not that hard.
I say download trials and learn both - you'll be even more marketable than before.

So editors really should not panic.
Shop owners with many FCP seats can start panicking now :)

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Jun 24, 2011 at 4:07:38 pm

I’m going to second Greg on this one. All of you are basing your arguments on the fact that you believe that most of your clients care more about quality then economy. His point is that many of his clients are going to grab their i-phones and i-pads and start cutting their own crappy video because now they have the tools to do so. It doesn’t matter that they don’t have proper audio, lighting, scripting, because… It’s cheaper than hiring Greg!

We had this exact same discussion in the FCP-X posts earlier this week.

Chuck

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 24, 2011 at 7:20:48 pm

"We fix seven-dollar haircuts..."

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jun 25, 2011 at 6:02:07 pm

Most customers want a video and don't care how you get there. Check out the panic over Flip cams from a year ago. The sky is falling only if enough chickens run around saying it is.
Do your job...the best job you can.
Just because a new version of XYZ software is out doesn't mean you are suddenly out of business. We made good money for years after our online bays stopped being the latest technology because we focused on our specialities.
Relax.
Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Wayne Marx
on Jun 26, 2011 at 7:19:10 pm

Is this how you feel, Greg?

W.

Return to posts index

Wayne Marx
on Jun 26, 2011 at 7:19:12 pm

Ummmm, I think it may work better if I include the link:

W.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jun 26, 2011 at 9:04:32 pm

I got a call a couple of weeks ago to go into a production company to do a few days cutting using their in house kit, which is Avid. OK, fine, I said. So I went in and sat down and the kit in front of me was Express Pro HD, and guess what? It was fine, perfectly good for doing the job, even though that version of the software was discontinued three years ago...

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 27, 2011 at 3:00:39 pm

[Greg Burke] "

What should I do? Im freaking out. I feel like I was just raped on a pinball machine buy APPLE, while Steve Jobs watched."

If you're a freelancer you really should at least be familiar with Adobe and Avid products. Take some introductory training courses if you need or online training.

We're transitioning away and in the process testing Adobe Premiere Pro, Avid Media Composer and even Autodesk Smoke as they were kind enough to send us an evaluation copy.

In our limited testing so far I will say that your FCP skills will transition very nicely to Premiere Pro and from what I've been able to glean, CS6 will be even easier. We're just installing Avid MC now and Smoke is not here yet so I can't comment on those yet, but quite honestly both Adobe and Avid should be fairly easy transitions.

I have two video blogs on transitioning from FCP to Premiere up on my blog here on the Cow.

http://blogs.creativecow.net/blog/5130/transitioning-part-1-moving-an-fcp-p...

http://blogs.creativecow.net/blog/5131/transitioning-part-2-fcp-workflow-in...

I've already had a lot of folks tell me these videos put their minds at ease over the uproar caused by Final Cut Pro X. by the way, if you want a tutorial for that here's a great one by a kid who looks to be 12. I will have to try to hire this kid in a few years because he reminds me of myself at that age, only I was using 8mm film cameras....

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/m7p-t_5prIE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe>

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Jun 29, 2011 at 5:44:10 pm

Avid, Vegas or Premiere. Not that hard of a decision.

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Jun 30, 2011 at 10:20:32 am

I must admit (being a PC user through-out - edit*, Adobe and Avid) that I do not understand why the "Mac brigade" is surprised about about FCP's death and no backward compatibility - after all, through nineties they were known for treating their third party soft and hardware developers very badly by always introducing upgrades that would force a complete rewrite or just kill of products if "management" didn't like them.

Plus, Apple's future are in apps and content for the masses. There is no money in producing "also ran" packages, when you can sell the software as a premium app to the affluent consumer iphone & ipad market ;-)

However, there is plenty of tools out there that will allow you to convert FCP projects into Avid and/or Premiere Pro + if you hand over your FCP to Avid, they'll for now give you a competitive upgrade path too.

The only thing to hope for is that the competitors to FCP doesn't see this latest under-development as an opportunity to hike their prices back up - after all, as a buyer I do like competition between my suppliers. Where as a supplier, I like to sell it as high as possible - just normal market-forces at play

All the Best
Mads
London, UK

Please do visit our faceBook page here: http://www.facebook.com/MacMillionProductions

Mac Million Ltd. - Digital Media Production
Blog: http://macmillionltd.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

Owen Wexler
on Jul 1, 2011 at 4:27:32 pm

if you know FCP7 then you basically know Premiere Pro, that is how similar they are, just a few minor differences. There is even a FCP keyboard shortcuts preset so you don't have to learn new shortcuts. I learned it for an internship originally and picked it up very quickly, now I use it at my job and have used it on my last few freelance projects also.

Also, check out the book "An Editor's Guide To Premiere Pro" by Rich Harrington, it's a great book and will help with the transition; even after using Premiere Pro for close to a year I still learned things about it from that book that I didn't know before.

Cinematographer - Editor - Motion Graphics Artist - Colorist

http://www.owenbwexler.com

Return to posts index

Richard Allen
on Jul 9, 2011 at 6:52:33 am

Apple came in to the market after the AVID money (and got it) Now instead of competing with Adobe for professional market share, seems like there turning there attention over to the home user that wants to be the "I do this on the side" professional.

Tough break.

I bet after you get over the inital shock of being dumped by Apple, you'll realize your closer to your next editor than you think.
Keep using the version you have, you were going to have to upgrade anyway. So the next time somebody else will be getting your money. You get use to it.

Even through FCP or Premire are not my first choice, everyone, at one point or another has to come back to Adobe. If nothing else for Photoshop and After Effects sake. But if you know After Effects your not that far from Premire and Premier and FCP uses the same aproach systematicly.

If your livelihood is dependent on you staying current with the industry, I'd bet on Premire filling the void. If your in high demand and choose when and where, I'd find what ever makes me feel the most creative and stick with it. If you like FPC7 keep cutting with it nobody will ask or care as long as it looks great.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jul 10, 2011 at 6:20:37 am

Greg

Ever heard of the following:

Quad
1"
1/2" reel to reel
U-Matic
ED Beta
S-VHS
8mm
Digital 8
Batacam