BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott CarnegieOuch
by on Jun 22, 2011 at 2:15:39 pm

A potential client contacted me a few weeks ago about making a marketing video for them. Someone had volunteered to do one for free and they didn't like the results so they looked for a professional.

After a few phone calls and e-mails (including them wanting references) I put together a proposal for them that included training their internal staff on how to make quality video blogs, something they were looking for.

I haven't heard from them for about a week so I asked yesterday if there was anymore discussion about the project. I was told that a friend of the businesses owner volunteered to to the marketing video for free, so they are going with him.

This has happened to me before, but for some reason this one really bothered me. Seriously? They got free production before but didn't like the results, so they are going with free again?

What I wanted to do was give htem a tounge lashing about how they are just making the same mistake again, but instead I just thanked them for letting me know.

Media Production Services
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Ouch
by on Jun 22, 2011 at 2:33:16 pm

I think it was "Red" Adair who said: "If you think hiring professionals is expensive, wait 'til you've hired amateurs".

Either these folks are too ignorant to know what they are losing, or they do know, but they don't care, it's "good enough" for them. That's their own punishment already. You want to feel better, you can go help their rivals.

Return to posts index

Joel ServetzRe: Ouch
by on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:10:55 am

In my opinion, "ouch" is the wrong way to look at this. In reality you dodged a bullet by not getting these idiots as "clients." Be happy and move on.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl

Return to posts index

Scott CarnegieRe: Ouch
by on Jun 23, 2011 at 2:10:33 pm

Good point lol. Usually I can spot a "grinder", in this case I didn't clue in until you pointed it out.

Media Production Services
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Return to posts index

Chuck PullenRe: Ouch
by on Jun 24, 2011 at 4:11:51 pm

Scott, don’t be surprised when they suggest the amateur call you for advice on their project since you were “so knowledgeable and helpful” I’ve had that happen before.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved