BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Obtaining international work

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Morin
Obtaining international work
on Jun 14, 2011 at 4:40:00 pm

I'm looking for some insight on the legal procedure of getting production work in another country. In my particular case, living in Buffalo, NY I see work available in Toronto all the time but want to organize myself before chasing it.
Any Advice?

Thanks in advance!

Andy Morin

Return to posts index

Max Kaiser
Re: Obtaining international work
on Jun 14, 2011 at 7:32:47 pm

Working up in Bellingham, WA, next to Vancouver, I'd love to find this out as well...

Max

Max Kaiser
Director
Hand Crank Films
http://www.handcrankfilms.com

Various Intel
FCP 7
OS 10.5
RED/XDCAM/7D

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Jun 15, 2011 at 2:30:30 pm

I’ve heard that it is actually quite hard to get work in Canada. When a Canadian entity hires you for a project, the government asks why it is that they need to bring in a foreigner to work for them, and they have to prove that you can provide a service that no other Canadian can do. That sounds tricky to pull off…

Now that may be for an actual position and not for occasional per diem work or contract work, but I’m not sure.

Chuck

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 16, 2011 at 2:47:49 pm

[Chuck Pullen] "I’ve heard that it is actually quite hard to get work in Canada. When a Canadian entity hires you for a project, the government asks why it is that they need to bring in a foreigner to work for them, and they have to prove that you can provide a service that no other Canadian can do. That sounds tricky to pull off… Now that may be for an actual position and not for occasional per diem work or contract work, but I’m not sure."

That's been my experience, too, for contract work. We had a big travel & logistics company handling all the paperwork.

I think the easiest way to get work in Canada is to become Canadian.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jun 16, 2011 at 9:40:21 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I think the easiest way to get work in Canada is to become Canadian."

AFAIK, the only requirement is throwing in "eh" at the end of every sentence.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Jun 16, 2011 at 10:54:34 pm

The legal aspects can also be tied to distribution. If it's for international release or is for a US based company like A&E it can be a little easier. I did a week long shoot for A&E last year in the states but the production company came from Canada. I got paid through a US based payroll firm. Don't know if this would apply to your situation though

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Max Kaiser
on Jun 16, 2011 at 11:02:04 pm

Yes, Mick, I was wondering about that. We're looking at being hired by company, as an incorporated company - not an individual. Does that make a difference? The show would be a Canadian show, but maybe it has international legs, not sure...

Max

Max Kaiser
Director
Hand Crank Films
http://www.handcrankfilms.com

Various Intel
FCP 7
OS 10.5
RED/XDCAM/7D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved