BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Creative Cow fire insurance ?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
Creative Cow fire insurance ?
on Jun 7, 2011 at 12:52:08 am

Hi -
so, when Apple releases FCP-X, and you get 500,000 hits on the FCP forum that first day, and flames start to shoot out of your servers as they crash, are you prepared with the appropriate insurance ?

Just askin'

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
Re: Creative Cow fire insurance ?
on Jun 7, 2011 at 1:43:26 am

[Bob Zelin] "so, when Apple releases FCP-X, and you get 500,000 hits on the FCP forum that first day, and flames start to shoot out of your servers as they crash, are you prepared with the appropriate insurance ?"

I had to chuckle reading this, Bob. Yes, we are insured, by Lloyd's of London to be exact. But it would take a lot more than 500,000 FCPX users logging in to take the COW to its knees. Over the years we have built a huge load-balanced server farm that is capable of serving up some mighty healthy bandwidth. It can handle the huge user base of the COW's forums, and simultaneously serve up full 1080p reels and shorts to many thousands of users concurrently without breaking a sweat. So I think we can keep the fire extinguishers in the wall mounts for now. ;o)

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jun 7, 2011 at 6:05:35 pm

Don't forget - none of those 500,000 will read the manual or any documentation, so each one will simultaneously post "I don't see OMF exports" or "It's just like iMovie" or "why won't it work with my G3 Cube" - in multiple forums 'just in case'. We're not talking 500,000, we're talking upwards of 5 million posts - all at once.

I'd keep a bottle of spray seltzer near the server, just in case.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 7, 2011 at 6:55:58 pm

[John Davidson] "I'd keep a bottle of spray seltzer near the server, just in case."

Actually, we're keeping a huge dumptruck on hand, to collect all the money. We're going to name our next baby Apple. Just like Gwyneth and Chris!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]