BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

marketing my vfx company

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Bowmanmarketing my vfx company
by on Jun 3, 2011 at 2:37:37 am

My business partner and I launched our company about a year ago and have primarily worked on fx and graphics for independent film. Now we would like to move more toward the commercial industry.

Does anyone know who the best people to contact are to establish connections? Is it ad agencies, production companies, producers, directors, or all of the above? Bottom line, who makes the decisions on what post-house is hired for the job.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David Bowman
Visual Effects Supervisor
The Effects Forge, LLC

Return to posts index

Chad TingleRe: marketing my vfx company
by on Jun 3, 2011 at 5:37:12 pm

I'd say all of the above.Directors and Producers generally have a huge say but in todays world where you have agencies that have their own in producers. Not all agencies have an in house producer but a lot of them do. I hope this helps

Chad Tingle

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: marketing my vfx company
by on Jun 3, 2011 at 7:45:54 pm

It depends on what you are wanting to do, what kind of work...

If you are wanting to do VFX work for commercials, then it's production companies and post houses that you should target.

If you are wanting to do start-to-finish commercial production (from shooting to completion), then it's definitely the ad agencies that you hit.

If you are wanting to do just the post side of things (not shooting but everything after principal photography), then individual producers and directors are probably the right people.

In general, ad agencies are probably the best most all-encompassing target. Our small company does mostly commercial production (probably more than 90% of our work), and the vast bulk of our clients are ad agencies. In a few cases we work directly for the advertiser themselves (the end client), but those fall into two groups, very small or very large... the very small mom-and-pop clients who don't use an ad agency, and the very large clients that don't use outside agencies either because they are big enough to have internal departments that handle all the things an agency normally does (as well as getting agency rates from media outlets).

Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.

Return to posts index

Patrick OrtmanRe: marketing my vfx company
by on Jun 5, 2011 at 6:45:40 pm

Good stuff in this thread- I'd like to expand it: assuming you have these audiences-

1) Ad agencies
2) Prodcos
3) Directors/Producers

How would one target the decision makers?

Obviously, you have to have a great reel and probably a promo kit of some kind.

AdWeek and AdAge have listings of agencies.

Anyone have any ideas on other ways to reach these people?

I'm thinking, some fearless phone work, an intro letter, a promo kit with reel, and followup. But even if that's a good way to go, how does one winnow down the agencies and prodcos from the thousands of listings available? Geography? I'm not so sure- some of our big clients are east coast agencies, and we're in Hollywood.

Just looking for what's working for others. Thanks!

PatrickOrtman, Inc.
Los Angeles Digital Agency and Video Production Company

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved