BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Post Production & Project Creep

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Herd
Post Production & Project Creep
on May 29, 2011 at 5:26:57 pm

The service agreement reads total running time = 5 minutes.
Now, the client wants 8 minutes.

I said, that's a 60% increase, therefore, it'll take more time and money, for an edited spot. But I can loop the footage by cut and paste at no additional charge.

There's more details, but this is the gist. The real question is, how do I successfully upsale the project?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Post Production & Project Creep
on May 29, 2011 at 5:56:04 pm

When my agreements include a running time, a significant change in the agreement requires a Change Order in which both I and the client negotiate.

If adding to the running time is simple then the additional price reflects that and if it's complex it reflects that. I do require a Change Order to reflect the change which opens the door to negotiate the price of the change which can range from next to nothing to a lot more.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 29, 2011 at 11:11:44 pm

Return to posts index

Patrick Ortman
on May 31, 2011 at 6:33:23 pm

NIIIIIICE, Mark.

"Hey Smails! My dingy's bigger than your whole boat!"

----------------------------
PatrickOrtman, Inc.
Los Angeles Digital Agency and Video Production Company

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on May 29, 2011 at 10:02:26 pm

You just stick to your hourly rate and let them pay as many of your bills as they like.

Return to posts index

Ed Cilley
on Jun 2, 2011 at 2:03:12 pm

Also called "scope creep". The original scope of the project has shifted into a project needing more man-hours to complete and your client should be understanding of this.

If you are billing by the hour like Grinner suggests, then you don't worry about the extra time the client is asking for. If you have bid on a flat rate, the you need to go back to the negotiating table with new numbers.

Return to posts index

Chad Tingle
on Jun 3, 2011 at 5:57:29 pm

I agree with Craig, I think you have to evaluate how much more work it will take to add the extra three minutes and charge accordingly. You shouldn't have to compromise your time because of their short sightedness

Chad Tingle
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 11, 2011 at 1:51:17 pm

[Richard Herd] "The service agreement reads total running time = 5 minutes.
Now, the client wants 8 minutes.

I said, that's a 60% increase, therefore, it'll take more time and money, for an edited spot. But I can loop the footage by cut and paste at no additional charge.

There's more details, but this is the gist. The real question is, how do I successfully upsale the project?"

Original Contract with the Client goes something like this:

"Based on the current specifications and information provided, we estimate this project will take X hours.

If the project changes during production, client will be billed at $X for each additional hour / day."

Something along those lines in a contract / agreement simplify everything. The client changed the parameters or was late in getting you information or just simply caused the edit to run longer than the original agreement. They will now be billed according to the original contract.

All of my contracts have a stipulation like that near the end so there are no surprises for either side.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]