BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Television call letters....

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd SchmidtTelevision call letters....
by on Apr 19, 2011 at 7:23:28 pm

Hi all,

Not sure this is where to post this on the forums but I'm trying to find out the legality of using made up television call letters or slogans for film.

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Television call letters....
by on Apr 20, 2011 at 3:18:47 am

Nah... you asked about the "legality" of it, but also said they would be "made up" call letters...

I can't conceivably think of any reason that would be actionable in any way for using fake call letters. Call letters are assigned to individuals or companies... if no real entity has (or has applied for) a certain designation, then there is no owner/designee to complain or bring an action. It's no different than making up a fake name of a store or business to use in a film.

As for the FCC, I'm not sure they have a position on it (I doubt it, since fake call letters have been used in films numerous times). But even if they didn't like it, they'd have no actionable claim.

As for a made up slogan?... that's a no-brainer. Perfectly legal, not even a gray area.

Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Television call letters....
by on Apr 20, 2011 at 3:41:41 am

there are none. As long as they are clear, you are good to go.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved