BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Copyright infringement settled

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Griffin
Copyright infringement settled
on Apr 13, 2011 at 12:28:29 pm

First of all, WHY would you select "Road to Nowhere" as the soundtrack for a campaign video? I'm NOT taking a political position, especially because I thought that Crist would make a far more reasonable Senator than Rubio, but the last time I remember something this tone deaf was the McCain campaign's use of Jackson Brown's "Running on Empty." Or maybe it's just a case of actual truth in advertising.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/90044514?Ex-Florida%20governor%20Ch...

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Copyright infringement settled
on Apr 13, 2011 at 3:22:59 pm

Well, it was being used in a negative context in an attack ad, Crist was saying his opponent was "on the road to nowhere".

But I get your complaint about people being tone-deaf to the lyrics and meaning of songs used out of context. I can't tell you how many politicians rallies and fourth of July fireworks shows mis-use Bruce's "Born In The USA", thinking it is an upbeat patriotic number. That one always makes my blood boil at the stupidity and obvious obliviousness of the people in charge.

Carnival Cruise Lines used Iggy Pop's "Lust For Life" without considering that it's about heroin use. Target used DEVO's "Beautiful World" in a spot that visually was the complete opposite of the song's ironic meaning.

Calvin Klein or some similar overpriced clothing company clips off a few seconds of Creedence Clearwater's "Fortunate Son" to run with slo-motion footage of happy kids in white cotton pants and shirts, flying American flags on a beach at Martha's freaking Vinyard.

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on Apr 23, 2011 at 5:57:14 am

If Bruce didn't want it to be thought of as an upbeat patriotic song, he shouldn't have written the music like that. I don't recall him complaining about the sales due to misinterpretation though.

Ditto "Every Breath You Take". Unless Sting had told me it was about surveillance, stalking, control, etc, I never would have guessed.

I never knew Lust for Life or Under The Bridge were about heroin addiction. Great songs though.

Fortunate Son is played in so many Vietnam War productions that young folk today think it's just about a cool time in some teens' lives way back when. Except for the bullets and stuff.

[Mark Suszko] "Target used DEVO's "Beautiful World" in a spot that visually was the complete opposite of the song's ironic meaning."
I think that shows how many people get irony/sarcasm.

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on Apr 24, 2011 at 3:47:01 am

I have another one: Mad World. The original was a boppy 80s disco hit. The one made for Donnie Darko was amazing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]