BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Stolen Electronics?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Paisley
Stolen Electronics?
on Apr 12, 2011 at 11:21:36 pm

I originally posted this in the Event Videography forum, and I was encouraged to post this here also...

I am new to CC, and if this is in the wrong forum, please redirect me. I tried to look, but couldn't find a better one. I put it here, because I am getting into event videography.

I came across someone selling a used HD video camera and a 100GB Firestore for a VERY reasonable price, considering the current asking prices that I have seen on eBay, Amazon, craigslist and the like. The price is so good, that I wonder if the merchandise is hot! Is there a way to check this out prior to purchase, so that I don't land myself into hot water later, when I try to get service or insurance?

Thanks in advance to all who respond!

Matt Paisley

Matt Paisley

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Stolen Electronics?
on Apr 13, 2011 at 5:57:45 pm

The rule of thumb is, "if it sounds too good...". Well, you know the rest.

The odds of getting caught are slim, but acquiring "hot " merchandize is, at the very least, bad karma. And, now that it's on the Net for the world to see, it's potentially NG for you in many other ways. Resist the temptation.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Apr 15, 2011 at 7:24:01 am

When I was approached with a "too good to be true" offer on two HVX200's, I told the seller that I suspected that the items were stolen and wanted to run the serial numbers on an insurance database. The seller volunteered the numbers and even supplied a document from his company insurance carrier that everything was legal.

The sale happened and I resold the cameras within a week. Had he balked even once, I would have passed on the deal and would have also pushed for a police investigation.

When I had my car business, I had a large sign over the door that said "Take your stolen Sh*t elsewhere. I will turn you in". I took pictures of anyone who strolled in the door with used parts. Only once did I have someone turn and walk out.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 26, 2011 at 4:31:33 pm

Steve,

Ever wish recently that you were still in the car biz or some other biz than this one?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on May 6, 2011 at 12:20:29 pm

This is a great question. I Googled to try to find a good answer and came up empty. Has anyone had better luck answering this question?

A modest suggestion for the incredible brainiacs who run the Creative Cow: if an online service for registering serial numbers does not yet exist, why not create one? I'm sure there would be lots of problems (e.g. someone forgetting to un-register an item when he sells it), but this is definitely a "central location" for video professionals.

Bob C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]