BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Old School Meeting and Getting Involved

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Ortman
Old School Meeting and Getting Involved
on Apr 12, 2011 at 11:11:34 pm

Hello fellow cave dwellers (or not),

I know for me, it's easy to get involved in a project and spend months and months immersed in it, from planning, to shoot, to post. The problem with doing this is you tend to not meet new client prospects or really anyone besides the pizza delivery guy when you're living in a cave.

I've read a lot about how it's important to actually get out and meet people, become part of the business community, and so forth. I've tried to go to a few events now and then, too. For me, so far, it hasn't paid off. Either business-wise or by making me feel a part of my community. What has paid off has been our website, reel, etc.

Now, I'd really like to find a way to make the old school "meet in the flesh" thing work. Hey, it gets lonely in a cave after all. And I talk good :-). I'd like to get some thoughts from those of you here who have used this oldschool approach successfully- if any of you have. Or do you get most of your clients and contacts and... dare I say it... friends and partners through the web?

Thanks!

----------------------------
PatrickOrtman, Inc.
Los Angeles Digital Agency and Video Production Company

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Old School Meeting and Getting Involved
on Apr 13, 2011 at 3:27:49 pm

I want to suggest something to you to try. Look up in your town if some group hosts a "Pecha-Kucha" night, and make a presentation on some of your work, or some aspect of how you do it, there in the party-like atmosphere.

http://www.pecha-kucha.org/night/chicago/

Return to posts index

Patrick Ortman
on Apr 13, 2011 at 7:03:07 pm

Awesome idea. But apparently the LA chapter's "on a break".

----------------------------
PatrickOrtman, Inc.
Los Angeles Digital Agency and Video Production Company

Return to posts index

Rebecca Gillaspie
on Apr 16, 2011 at 9:25:47 pm

I often freelance out of the house between gigs. Cabin fever can get to you. So I use those times to network and educate myself on various programs and read about technology. Force yourself to make a few business lunch appointments. Reach out to people with similar interests. I've made great friends and connections through this very forum.

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do." - Bob Dylan

Rebecca Gillaspie
Producer/Editor
rgillaspie@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Apr 18, 2011 at 2:20:16 am

MCA-I is active in San Diego (http://www.mca-i.org) not sure about LA. Worked great for me when I was starting out.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]