BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

yet another demo reel question

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hunter Hempen
yet another demo reel question
on Apr 6, 2011 at 9:21:12 pm

I apologize in advance for a repeat question, as I'm sure you get a demo reel question at least once a week.

My question: Important clips come first?

I have done several projects for university's marketing department that involved some in-depth After Effects work, but the few AE clips are vastly outnumbered by the many standard definition projects I've edited in Premiere over the past two years. Will it look strange if I put all the attention-grabbing AE stuff up front, followed by simple edits?

Meh?

Thanks for your patience,
Hunta

-----
Too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?
-Gaff
-----

Return to posts index

Hunter Hempen
Re: yet another demo reel question
on Apr 6, 2011 at 10:59:00 pm

Ah damn. Answer this if you want, but I just noticed the Demo Reel forum. :P

My apologies.

-----
-Gaff
-----

Return to posts index

Cory Petkovsek
on Apr 7, 2011 at 9:42:34 am
Last Edited By Cory Petkovsek on Nov 5, 2014 at 11:35:18 am

You are assuming a hiring manager or client will watch your demo reel to the end (or at all) among 5-50 other reels. Instead assume they will watch 5-10 seconds, if that is good they might watch another 10-20 seconds, if that is good they might watch another 30. Arrange your content appropriately.
Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Apr 7, 2011 at 12:42:31 pm

I would lead with a few of the strongest but spread them out thru the whole reel too.
Keep the whole thing Short & Sweet!

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Scott Carnegie
on Apr 7, 2011 at 2:05:11 pm

Best stuff first. Here are my personal reels

http://scottsdemo.mediacircus.tv

http://www.MediaCircus.TV
Media Production Services
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 7, 2011 at 3:34:57 pm

An idea: Lead with the best high def stuff you have, then composite your SD stuff into an HD video wall effect of six or more PIP windows. Keep them large enough to appreciate and understand what's goong on.

This lets the clients see a lot more stuff at once, plus continues to show off your compositing/effects chops, and keeps the whole reel essentially HD and 16x9.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Apr 7, 2011 at 4:34:32 pm

A great call Mark.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 7, 2011 at 4:36:37 pm

I watch every demo reel that comes across my desk. Well, I might not watch them the second they come in, but I do eventually watch them.

That's not to say I watch every bit of each reel. It's not uncommon for me to pop a disc out after watching it for 15 seconds (but hey, at least it made it into the machine).

Put the very best thing you have right off the bat. You can save some of the other good stuff to sprinkle deeper in the reel, but if you don't grab them right from the start they likely will never see the "best is yet to come" parts. Never make them sit through your not-very-best-stuff in hopes of a payoff later in the reel.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Hunter Hempen
on Apr 7, 2011 at 8:27:02 pm

Alright, thanks again guys. I did the PIP and fitting everything to HD right off the bat, so that's good.

How about a second question if you're just finding this thread.

Song choices? I've read that a lot of people lay a simple beat/loop down through the entire 50 seconds, whilst some people use modern day hits. The latter puzzles me because isn't this copyright trouble?

Thanks again to the great Cow community.

-Hunta

-----
-Gaff
-----

Return to posts index

Hunter Hempen
on Apr 7, 2011 at 8:33:12 pm

That, and some of the reels I watch up on YouTube make me a bit suspicious. Frequently...and I mean "frequently", I come across editors/graphic artists who have big-time brand names in their clips. Such as Coca-Cola, Target, etc. Compared to the rest of their graphics, I don't understand why the Cola King would've picked up on these artists, because the shown clip just doesn't make any sense in relation to the company's theme.

I also read somewhere that if you're lacking content in the reel, "...go make up graphics for some company...". This blatant borrowing of company logos doesn't sound right.

But then again, that's why I'm asking you.

Thanks,
Hunta

-----
-Gaff
-----

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 7, 2011 at 10:34:09 pm

Rule one is don't show work that's not yours, or let people falsely assume which parts you really did. Deal breaker. If you have to make explanations for what's YOURS on screen, that's awkward but better than being branded a thief and liar.

My own Lesser rules: don't break copyright when you don't need to. Who wants to hire a guy who's judgement might get the production company dragged into lawsuits? Use only cleared music and images you own the rights to.

Making your own fake/ replacement brands is a great way to show your editing AND compositing chops.

Return to posts index

Cory Petkovsek
on Apr 9, 2011 at 8:08:13 am
Last Edited By Cory Petkovsek on Nov 5, 2014 at 11:35:09 am

You can label such "fake" ads as "spec" (Speculative ad) which will demonstrate your mad skillz of what you could have done for the company had they hired you.

Also some freelancers work for such large companies because they were hired by a production company who was hired by an ad agency who represents the big company.

Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Apr 17, 2011 at 9:53:09 pm

Throw templates ut the window. You are wanting to stand out, afterall. Focus on what you wanna do... not what you have done.
unless you are into doing what you've always done, anyway.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]