BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Reality Television Workflow

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hunter Hempen
Reality Television Workflow
on Mar 28, 2011 at 5:16:00 am

Does anybody know of any good, previous articles, posts, threads pertaining to the workflow and resources used in the making of reality TV these days? Any details referring to the process of "string-outs" and equipment commonly used would be great.

Thanks many,

Hunter

-----
Too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?
-Gaff
-----

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Reality Television Workflow
on Mar 29, 2011 at 12:47:02 am

Hire people who have done it before. Workflows as large as these generally aren't posted or written about. Mainly because it all depends on the topic, the format you are shooting, what system you are editing with, the topic you are approaching. Too many factors.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Mar 29, 2011 at 2:50:33 am

I agree with Shane. I was once asked if I would be interested to shoot a reality show pilot. I answered with a whole host of questions, indicating that the producer had not given the idea much thought, assuming you could just follow someone around with a camera and have your show.

Most reality shows follow the same formula, but any formula is pretty well thought-out and detailed in its execution.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Mar 29, 2011 at 5:09:05 pm

Because no script is involved, I just lay all keepable footage on a timeline with no regard to it's running time. I then go through that subtractively as needed to meet my required running time. Once I've told the story, I hit with a pass for b-roll and music, then from the top with sweetening, effects, animation, ect. I always do the polishing last so I don't waist time on content that may wind up on the cutting room floor.
I capture everything. All of it. Much of the time with nonscripted content a shot that isn't a shot at all works best to stitch things together. It may be a swish pan between two shots or a shakycam moment otherwise passed up when logging or capturing.

Return to posts index

Hunter Hempen
on Apr 4, 2011 at 7:06:28 pm

In terms of equipment, do you know which HD cam they tend to use the most? I'm assuming for portability it could be some kind of Panasonic, but I'm just curious.

What are the standards as of 2011?

-----
Too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?
-Gaff
-----

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 4, 2011 at 7:33:33 pm

[Hunter Hempen] "In terms of equipment, do you know which HD cam they tend to use the most?"

HDV....XDCAM. The ones that are NOT tapeless, and have cheap media. Because they shoot a LOT. DVCPRO HD tape as well.

[Hunter Hempen] "What are the standards as of 2011?"

HA HA HA HA HA HA! Standards. You crack me up. Standards!

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 4, 2011 at 7:43:24 pm

[Shane Ross] "HA HA HA HA HA HA! Standards. You crack me up. Standards!"

What he said!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]