BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Another example of industry de-value

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott SheriffAnother example of industry de-value
by on Mar 20, 2011 at 7:59:31 pm

I stumbled onto this on CL. It's an advert for an 'internship'. I think it is another example of how the production business is being devalued.
IMO this is an unpaid staff position, not an internship.
I'm redacting the company info because I have no interest in helping promote this type of thing.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Videography Internship (Vail, CO)
Date: 2011-03-19, 5:19PM MDT
Reply to:(redacted)

(redacted) is looking for qualified, driven individuals to join our Business Development Team for summer 2011 in a variety of departments.

Interns at (redacted) gain valuable work experience in a fast-paced environment where you will research, implement, and receive professional guidance for your project(s). You will learn through hands-on experience, all while living in the exciting Vail Valley where you will also find time to embrace the beauty and activities offered of the Rocky Mountains. Housing and ski passes (winter only) are provided to all interns at (redacted). A minimum 3 month commitment is required.

Position Qualifications:
• Seeking an extremely responsible individual. Selected candidate will be traveling to different ski destinations to film, but will be held accountable for daily, weekly, and long-term projects.
• Current Junior, Senior, or recent Graduate seeking a degree in Video Production, Media Production, or similar major with a strong level of interest in video communication specifically for marketing purposes.
• Marketing, advertising, documentary, and creative video work experience helpful.
• Must be fluent in Adobe Premiere Pro. Although not required, skills in Adobe After Effects are extremely helpful.
• Ability to communicate effectively with managers, clients, and to manage time effectively.
• Ability to produce video from raw footage to final edits while keeping the business’s marketing strategies and goals in mind. Must be fluent and comfortable in everything from pre to post production.
• Can apply your creative touch from shot selection to editing style to produce promotional videos that invoke interest.
• Must have a work hard play hard mentality. Must be a self motivator and teacher. You will learn however much you choose to push yourself.
• Love for thinking out of the box and wanting to create the most fascinating Viral Marketing Campaign through your work.
• Passion to learn and grow in this concept company as a team player.

Position Description:
• Work with marketing department to create video marketing pieces that feature Resort destinations. Involves producing video from raw footage to final edits, while keeping the Company’s marketing strategies and goals in mind.
• Shoot and produce short social media pieces. Push videos through social media.
• Focus on marketing of Company’s videos through viral marketing.
• Build Company image library through photography assignments,
• Work with sales team to create promotional pieces as directed.
• Company branding and communication.

Qualified candidates must be enrolled in college or recent graduates, have excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong work-ethic, and knowledge of the vacation rental industry and (redacted).
Find out more at: (redacted)

Apply to be a member of our Business Development Team
Please email cover letter and resume to: (redacted). In the subject line please indicate the season and position you are applying for. Also include why you are applying, why you feel that you are the ideal candidate and how you can use your education and experiences to contribute during your time here.

* Compensation: Housing Provided

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

While this entire posting seems to be looking for slave labor and shamelessly calling it an internship, here are a couple of things that stand out to me:

Selected candidate will be traveling to different ski destinations to film, but will be held accountable for daily, weekly, and long-term projects.

Must be fluent in Adobe Premiere Pro.

Ability to produce video from raw footage to final edits while keeping the business’s marketing strategies and goals in mind. Must be fluent and comfortable in everything from pre to post production.

Qualified candidates must be enrolled in college or recent graduates

Compensation: Housing Provided

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Another example of industry de-value
by on Mar 21, 2011 at 3:47:24 am

Doesn't mention any pay that I saw. They dangle the ski pass as a perc, but apparently it's required anyway. My guess is vacation condo rentals, and one of the unrented condos is the bunkhouse everybody will crash in and work from, hostel-style. You'd likely be shooting promo footage and testimonials of happy renters on the slopes, apre's-ski fandangoes, and scenic b-roll. The other possibility is that it's for a ski/boarding outfit, which makes less sense to me. Because you want really well-experienced people that specialize in shooting extreme sports action, in order to make the product look its best, and ski/board companies can afford quality shooters.

For the right kind of ski/boarding bum, it might work out okay as a one-time 3-month adventure, where you get your kicks in between shooting assignments, but I doubt the candidate will be money ahead at the end of it.

I don't think that "trade-out" deals in lieu of pay are always a bad deal. I mean, if someone wants to trade me a month's room and board in Hawaii in exchange for some shooting and editing work, I'd definitely be interested... But you have to go in eyes wide open, and don't sell yourself on parts of the deal that aren't actually there, or are not what they seem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]