BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Books about producing/managing film or ad

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dovydas Vilkelis
Books about producing/managing film or ad
on Mar 16, 2011 at 3:31:23 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for creative books about producing/managing film or ad. Found plenty of it on amazon and don't know which of them are good, which are not. I'm interested in implementation of ideas, planning works, gathering and managing team, production distributing, looking for support and so on. Maybe there is some kind of almanac of it :) Thank's a lot.

__

DTG Video
Video production
http://www.dtg.lt

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Books about producing/managing film or ad
on Mar 17, 2011 at 11:34:00 am

I really like The Guerilla Film Makers Handbook. Not necessarily best for some specific things, but great all round information. (The original edition was really aimed at low budget film making, but the more recent updates are much more general).

Return to posts index

Dovydas Vilkelis
on Mar 17, 2011 at 2:45:04 pm

Looks good. Is it serious enough? Also there is a lot of edition, is newest the best?

__

DTG Video
Video production
http://www.dtg.lt

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 17, 2011 at 5:57:52 pm

Producing is one of those things that gets misconstrued all the time. For example, check out this hilariously deluded post (not mine!) this one: http://reno.craigslist.org/tfr/2260805478.html So many things wrong! Like let's start with copyright. You want me to "finish your movie," then the whole agreement is a work for hire. That is, you work for me! I mean come on, this guy's notion that producer is a blank check needs adjusting.

Like any management position, producing requires knowing how to be a leader and knowing when to let the staff/team do their jobs.

In a perfect ad environment where every entity has lots of money, the best arrangement is Client --> Agency --> Producer, and the producer hires the necessary staff to get the job done (writers, cast, DP, editor, and so on).

Those days, from my point of view anyway, seem over. This forum is full of examples of Clients contacting editors (for example) who then have to act as Producer and Agent.

A good Producer will get involved with the creative aspects (especially story) and also technical aspects (especially costs), but also a good Producer really needs to know the Law pertaining to the business. The insurance problems alone will make your head spin. You want a headache? Research errors and omissions insurance. Look up in your local municipality where and when you need a shooting permit.

Licensing agreements and shoot schedules...oh what joy! Location agreements, simply a blast! Although I do like speaking loudly on my cell phone in coffee shops using terms like "MOU," as in "Let's write up an MOU."

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Mar 17, 2011 at 8:54:21 pm

[Richard Herd] "In a perfect ad environment where every entity has lots of money, the best arrangement is Client --> Agency --> Producer, and the producer hires the necessary staff to get the job done (writers, cast, DP, editor, and so on)."

In my "perfect world" (at least the way it used to be) it goes Client --> Agency (for concept, primary writing, art direction) --> Producer (who may contribute to the writing process, but at the very least helps mold the final writing), and the producer hires the necessary staff to get the job done (Director, DP, crew, post facility/editor and casting director who proposes cast which is approved by the client and the agency). Then they all show up for the shoot where the client constantly whispers in the ear of the agency's account person(s), he/she talks to the writer(s) and art director(s) who like to think that the Producer works for them. When it works the spot(s) come out well and everybody takes credit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]