BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Really insightful analysis of the recording biz by... Courtney Love!?!?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark SuszkoReally insightful analysis of the recording biz by... Courtney Love!?!?
by on Mar 6, 2011 at 6:28:25 pm

Improbable yet very educated and persuasive essay on how the biz doesn't work. Kind of long, but I thought worth the reading.

http://www.salon.com/technology/feature/2000/06/14/love

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Really insightful analysis of the recording biz by... Courtney Love!?!?
by on Mar 7, 2011 at 4:04:00 am

Yes, this article is old, but actually, I think that's good, since we can see that some of the points she made about seizing the mans of production away from the Plantation Owner record companies thru emerging digital technology have now come to fruition. It is also happening in book publishing and in video production, where the creators are selling at a lower per-unit price and regardless of quantity, they are making a profit because they own most or all of their work instead of a fraction, have reduced expenses and waste, are more responsive to customers and fans, and have fewer ten-percenters to split the income with. There's a recent article about a young lady who's made her first million by self-publishing digitally thru Amazon and skipping the entire publishing house apparatus. In music and in video, this is the way forward, self-publishing, self-distributing.

Return to posts index

Shawn BannRe: Really insightful analysis of the recording biz by... Courtney Love!?!?
by on Mar 7, 2011 at 7:19:09 pm

Interesting article. Feels like a commentary on an outdated model.

I thought this was interesting...

http://www.billboard.com/news/cake-scores-lowest-selling-no-1-album-in-1004...

Return to posts index

jamie thorneRe: Really insightful analysis of the recording biz by... Courtney Love!?!?
by on Mar 7, 2011 at 7:38:00 pm

In regards to the young woman who is being held up as an example of the bright future of self publishing I think it's worth reading what she has to say about it on her blog.

http://amandahocking.blogspot.com/2011/03/some-things-that-need-to-be-said....

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Really insightful analysis of the recording biz by... Courtney Love!?!?
by on Mar 7, 2011 at 7:52:52 pm

She's very self-deprecating, isn't she? She did the hard work, and it paid off eventually. Good for her. If she'd have stayed with purely traditional publishing systems, and traditional marketing apparatus, would any of us even have heard of her? Doubtful.

Nevertheless, we ARE seeing a change in how things can be done, and I think it points the way forward. In video, right now self-distribution is mostly the turf of very niche markets. But this is growing all the time.

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: Really insightful analysis of the recording biz by... Courtney Love!?!?
by on Mar 7, 2011 at 10:11:36 pm

What the hell is content? Nobody buys content. Real people pay money for music because it means something to them. A great song is not just something to take up space on a Web site next to stock market quotes and baseball scores. -- Courtney Love

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]