BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Discovery & National Geographic Producers Portal

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tami Lynn
Discovery & National Geographic Producers Portal
on Feb 24, 2011 at 7:54:24 pm

I have already a case against Discovery's Animal Planet using my Treatment and DVD information submitted on the Discovery's Producers Portal.
Now, I have another case against National Geographic's NatGeo Wild for using my Treatment and DVD information submitted on National Geographic's Producer Portal.
My attornys are interested to start a 'class action' suit against both networks. Any producers out there interested in a 'class action', and have a legitimate case against submitting to either Discovery or National Geographic, please contact me at 818-888-8264 or my cell 818-804-8264. Enough is Enough..lets join together and stop this unethical behavior.
Thank you,
Tami Lynn, Producer

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: Discovery & National Geographic Producers Portal
on Feb 25, 2011 at 2:21:39 pm

It's always sad to hear this, Tami. Sorry they did that to ya. I think many of us have had hit shows we never collected a check from. That said, is your legal team aware of the agreement you agreed to when registering to the portal and how their unsolicited submission forms read?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 26, 2011 at 11:11:52 pm

As Grinner notes, did you carefully read the agreement for the Portals before you submitted? Basically you are submitting it unsolicited. They "might" have something exactly like what you submitted already in consideration / pre-production / production, etc... And generally anything submitted unsolicited is deemed "owned" by the recipient when it's received.

This is why I only submit pitches through agencies and connections. Never unsolicited.

Good luck with your class action attempt, but I'm not sure you're going to get anywhere with that.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Register now for our Open House March 5

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Patrick Ortman
on Feb 27, 2011 at 7:43:18 pm

"And generally anything submitted unsolicited is deemed "owned" by the recipient when it's received."

I did not know this. Many years ago, when my band was trying to "make it", whenever we'd send a demo out unsolicited, we'd get it returned, unopened. The record labels (remember them?) were worried about being sued if an unsolicited package was accepted, apparently. I know, what does this have to do with the film production world, right? I just bring it up because it seems... a bit odd that a pitch package or whatever would be owned by CBS if I sent it or a query letter to them unsolicited, for instance.

I know the US Mail says something is owned by you if a company sends it without you ordering it, though. Is this what you're basing your comment on, Walter?

----------------------------
PatrickOrtman, Inc.
Los Angeles Digital Agency and Video Production Company

Return to posts index

Tami Lynn
on Feb 27, 2011 at 8:04:52 pm

Hello Patrick,
I spoke to the VP's of Development first before submitting my project to both Discovery and National Geographic. It was the VP's request for me to go on their Producers Portal. I totally understand about the 'release forms' that we all have to sign, but there is another side of this that has not be addressed by producers. The websites of both Discovery and National Geographic stipulate how wonderfully they have conveniently set up these Producers Portals to assist the Independent Producers to submit their Treatments, Ideas, DVD's etc. Their websites also mid lead producers to believe they function ethically. This is not true and by these false leading websites, I feel the 'release forms' come in question. I will know more after my meeting with my attorneys and will respond to COW ASAP. Tami Lynn

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 27, 2011 at 9:02:05 pm

[Patrick Ortman] "I know the US Mail says something is owned by you if a company sends it without you ordering it, though. Is this what you're basing your comment on, Walter?"

No I'm basing it on the boilerplate information that's generally provided by any network / production company either on their websites or via documentation provided and on previous experience.

Unsolicited materials are generally not welcome at networks, thus they basically tell you if you really want to submit something, go ahead, but we'll keep it.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Register now for our Open House March 5

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Patrick Ortman
on Feb 27, 2011 at 9:48:48 pm

My own small experience with entertainment industry legal boobs is they tend to write language that is fairly overreaching. I beat Big Entertainment Co. (they had spider man on their stationery! so cool!) a number of years ago, and I also won against Big Movie Company That Uses Earth As Their Logo. In both cases, the legal boobs in question were counting on us rolling over. We didn't. They lost.

I'm pretty sure there's entire departments of young legal eagles trying to "make their bones" by writing overreaching boilerplate or harassing small vendors. The more experienced people at both of those companies- even in the legal department- were actually pretty cool. Except for one guy, but he's in prison now.

Now, should you send a network (or record company, even) something unsolicited? Probably not. And are there a ton of great ideas out there similar to yours? Probably. But if your stuff's really been stolen, no matter how they became aware of it, I don't think you should let the boilerplate b.s. on a website dissuade you from suing the thieves in question.

----------------------------
PatrickOrtman, Inc.
Los Angeles Digital Agency and Video Production Company

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]