BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Finished t.v. pilot now I need representation

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David PolitzerFinished t.v. pilot now I need representation
by on Jan 19, 2011 at 6:27:39 pm

I finished a t.v. pilot/proof of concept a few months ago and have been going down many streets since. Ultimately I'm looking for representation--This is a show that would be perfect on Nickelodeon, Disney, Discovery Kids, etc..and possibly food network.
--I've spoken to a few entertainment lawyers and all have said that they deal with movies.
--I've spoken with a few production companies who've said that I need representation.
--I've tried to reach out to many agents but have not heard back
--I've spoken to a t.v. guru who freelances and finds content for networks--he liked my show but since the content deals with kids he is going to refer it out to someone who's more closely plugged into the children genre.
--I've entered it into a couple of film festivals (through Withoutabox) but they are still a few months out
--FYI all has been registered with screen writer's guild

This is a highly marketable show and I need ideas/help to get it out there.
I have no problem "hiring" an agent as long as they're very reputable with proven track record.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated....

David Politzer

DevCo Productions
Next generation of children's programming
Las Vegas, NV
415-577-4828
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Use-Your-Noodle/125020867554504

Return to posts index

Scott CarnegieRe: Finished t.v. pilot now I need representation
by on Jan 19, 2011 at 8:56:20 pm

Why not pitch it direct to these networks? In Canada a newbie would team up with an established production company that already has a track record with a particular broadcaster, you will be gven a contract, have a lawyer look it over and work with the company on it. I don't see why you need an agent to shop around a completed program.

http://www.MediaCircus.TV
Media Production Services
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Return to posts index

David PolitzerRe: Finished t.v. pilot now I need representation
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 6:18:05 pm

I'm originally from Toronto and would love to pitch it to YTV...you mentioned partnering with a known production company--the few that I've called only want to deal if I have representation..thus the vicious circle

David Politzer

DevCo Productions
Las Vegas, NV
415-577-4828

Return to posts index

Scott CarnegieRe: Finished t.v. pilot now I need representation
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 5:55:52 pm

Strange. I had a show treatment that I thought would be good for CTV, I contacted the production company that produced "Corner Gas", they had me sign a non-disclosure and then they accepted my treatment but they passed on the project. Never asked about representation or anything like that. Comedy Network will take pitches directly but you will still need to partner up to ge the thing produced.

http://www.MediaCircus.TV
Media Production Services
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo JørgensenRe: Finished t.v. pilot now I need representation
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 2:08:22 am

Hey David,

As Scott says, go direct.

Alternatively, why not get a sponsor on board or a PR/Advertising agency? So if a Broadcaster won't bite, maybe go straight for an Youtube audience part funded/part in partnership on advertising with Google.

It would be a shame if Amanda the lead grew up and became a 22 year old woman before you made it to air...

However, I would also suggest that you get a brand expert on board - not sure that your current branding on Facebook is as optimal as it can be, that is obviously down to the individual's taste.

But none of your videos have a intro graphic or an ending with your contact details? And where is the website? + the recipe? OK, Banana in peanut butter is not that difficult to make - but the Mad Professor's cook-book for the 5-12 year old might even get the boys in the kitchen + get you a slot on Amazon and iPad...

For now, start populating the FaceBook page and get some one else than the Brubaker girls to review it + and do get them to use longer sentences :-)

There is soo much that you can do to earn money, that does not require you to take the long way around.

Good Luck

All the Best
Mads
London, UK

Please do visit our faceBook page here: http://www.facebook.com/MacMillionProductions

Mac Million Ltd. - Digital Media Production
Blog: http://macmillionltd.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2011 at 6:47:32 pm

Mads, thanks for taking the time to look at the facebook page.
When I originally put some content on facebook my only intention was for those who worked on the project...I never meant it as a branding device. I always envisioned a proper website of which I've yet to do.
I have made professional DVDs with packaging that I'm sending out as leads come across.
My whole intention with the project was to go for the homerun..being part of a series on a known t.v. network. Yes I could do a website and try to get sponsors...certainly the idea/content is marketable in that way but I want to concentrate on the homerun first..followed by international markets and of course your good suggestions.
I would love to go direct but that would require partnering with a production company and even they ask for representation...perhaps I need to keep contacting viable production companies until they're willing to talk to ME.
In the meantime I will populate the facebook...obviously if the address is in my email signature people will check it out.

David Politzer

DevCo Productions
Las Vegas, NV
415-577-4828

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Finished t.v. pilot now I need representation
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 3:14:34 pm

You'll find pitching to a reputable agency to be harder than pitching to networks. They won't take meetings in general unless an insider recomends it. Sounds counter productive, I know, but they are busy folks and would rather hagle math than gamble on if there will be any math.
Today, it's easy enough to get in front of the folks who need to see it. Cold calling works year 'round and pitch fests like the LATV Festival and NAPTE are set up for this very thing... getting you, the pitcher, in front of the catchers of your choice. Is it free? No, but then, neither was the initiative to create a sizzle reel and follow a dream to this point. While that's the fun part and selling is not, follow through is what is required at this point.
Good luck man. Tenacity is key. Don't give up.
Run when ya can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must, but never give up.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2011 at 7:09:28 pm

Hey Grin,
I just went to the NAPTE website and there's a conference next week in Miami. How often do these go on and should I get my ass there next week?
If I do, I have no idea what the process is--do I make individual appts or have to go by each booth of interest and pitch?
All guidance welcome...

David Politzer

DevCo Productions
Las Vegas, NV
415-577-4828

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2011 at 7:25:29 pm

Short answer... yes. Get your ass there. The more lines you have in the river, the more you will catch. But then, that depends on your budget. It may be best to sign up for the next LATV Festival. It's a multi day seminar and they'll train you in the process. IN a nutshell, you'll be handed a booklet of catchers. You spend an evening doing your homework and selct 5 that you want to pitch to. You'll be given 3 15 minute appointments for verbal pitches. What I like is the bullpen. This is where the meek don't survive. It's not a line. It's an overflow of freaks like you scavaging for an empty slot that pops up. The mosta ggressive get the meeting and I've gotten as many as 8 in a day. Don;t hesitate to speak up when a network you are not interested has an opening slot while you are in the bullpen. Consider it practice. They'll be honest with you about the strengths and weaknesses in your pitch and yu cna utilize that in the next pitch. PLus, with 10 nos for every yes, it's always a small success in achieving that next no.
Go grease yer gears at NATPE Miami, man. Keep an authentic grin on your face. Practice your pitch in the mirror and then with someone who hates you. Practicing in front of someone who loves you will do ya no good. They'll just tell you how awesome you are. You already know that. You need some brutal nut kickings right now. They're good for ya.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 21, 2011 at 6:27:57 am

I booked the trip to Miami for the full 3 days..what the hell.
So I'm not completely clear on the process there...is the pitch made on the exhibit/vendor floor? Essentially waiting in line to speak to whomever is behind the booth?
How long should the elevator pitch be? I'm thinking 30-45 seconds unless they want to hear more?
As far as the pitch...I used to do stand-up and more recently a family therapist so I'm pretty good in front of a crowd or one-on-one.
I noticed there's yoga by the poolside at 8am...schmoozing starts early.
Thanks,
David

David Politzer

DevCo Productions
Las Vegas, NV
415-577-4828

Return to posts index

by on Jan 22, 2011 at 8:19:36 pm

Last one I attended was at The House of Blues on Sunset Strip. Think of it as speed dating. There is literally a clock ticking. 15 moniute wondows if they are interested. If ya aint got em in 30 seconds, ya aint gonna get em. Your tag line is your hook. Don't hesitate to help them with the visual "Picture Deadliest Catch mixed with Cake Boss". In the old days, comparing your show to another was a big no no. In today's nonscripted world it's almost expected and suggested.
Do not get frustrated. Learn each time. I pitched my first series in '91. I have a mountain of passes, have wall-papered a room with rejection letters, and have had more shows stolen than purchased. My alternative is to put on a funny hat and a name tag.
no thanks.
Success has nothing to do with a good day. It has everything to do with what you do with all the bad days.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 26, 2011 at 7:34:14 pm

Finishing up at NATPE...it was quite the experience and I'm sure not one that I made use of fully. I've been told that past years have been easier especially when it came to locating buyers. This year the majority of buyers were walking entities at a rather large sprawled out hotel. No booths...a few of the biggies had suites, but essentially they the buyers walked amongst us. The buyers even flipped their neck tag/badge so they wouldn't get stopped in the halls for a pitch.
There was another cooking show on the vendor floor (they went all out with a booth) and were looking for buyers--it was called Jr. Kids Cuisine found at jrcuisine.com....it was almost worth coming just for that. It's not entertaining and although they market it for kids 7-14 I can't see anyone over 10 watching it. The show that they're doing is exactly why I don't think a kids cooking show for kids works and why I believe in my project as it fuses family entertainment with learning---a hybrid. I know..hybrids are typically harder to sell but it can be done.
I was able to meet with a few production companies, Disney and Nickelodeon. We shall see...what I really found out was that my pitch sucks ass...if I give a reference of "It's like a 12year old rachel ray meets Alton Brown's Good Eats meets iCarly." Well if the buyer doesn't know what Good Eats is the analogy is blown...need to find a good pitch that works across the board.
Guy from a production company told me that he wants me to do a synopsis of 12 shows so he can show his development team what's in it for the viewer to tune in every week. He wants to see the building of the characters and concepts. Obviously a needed exercise.
Something else that I learned is that YES I can pitch right to production companies, and that will be my direction going forward.
Also, the Canadian productions liked the fact that I'm Canadian as it has excellent tax implications.
Think I'm off to see a panel discussion now--Trifecta! Connecting
Content Creators WithDistributors & Brands

David Politzer

DevCo Productions
Las Vegas, NV
415-577-4828

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]