BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Motion Graphic Design Census

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fernando Mol
Motion Graphic Design Census
on Jan 18, 2011 at 3:55:32 am

Got this on twitter, thought to share:

"As artists in this industry, we want to share what information we have so that we can all gain some leverage in negotiating for ourselves."

http://motiongraphicdesigncensus.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/2010_MGDC_R...

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Motion Graphic Design Census
on Jan 18, 2011 at 5:08:58 pm

Interesting.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 18, 2011 at 10:51:29 pm

Compositors seem to make a lot more than motion graphic artists, yet they both use AE as the main tool. I would suggest based on my limited experience with both disciplines, that motion graphics is often more challenging than straight compositing, in an artistic and design sense. I say that only because a lot of compositing is just "fixing" stuff, keying, rig removal, masking, addign digital set extensions, etc.

Of course there is a huge amount of overlap in these two jobs, but why then do you think the pay scale is so widely different?

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Jan 18, 2011 at 11:06:11 pm

Maybe because you need more experience to do a composite (good eye for color correction, know how to fit mixed sources, rescuing bad footage, etc.) so you hardly have newbies competition there.

And in the motion graphic side, a student can learn a couple of tricks form a tutorial and start to be a cheap alternative to do motion graphics. That somehow affect the market.

It's my guess, anyway.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jan 19, 2011 at 2:41:11 am

Also compositors might be working more on high end projects with larger budgets and graphic designers play in a wider range of budgets. Great census however....wonder if one was done for video/film editors.

Love this stuff.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]