BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Fair price?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bruno silvaFair price?
by on Jan 17, 2011 at 3:51:33 am

Hi, just a quick question about my new venture as a videographer. I recently purchased a Canon 7D and was hired to shoot some indoor soccer games, which has been fun. I have been charging $80 per game for 7 games which are about an hour long.

I just received a call from someone who wants me to shoot 8 of his flag football games. Should I boost the price up a bit? Not sure if $80 per game is a good deal. I will also be making DVDs of each game.

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: Fair price?
by on Jan 17, 2011 at 6:53:08 am

My guess is you haven't made any of the DVDs yet. Make them, see how long it takes, then you'll have your answer as to whether $80 per game recording and DVD creation time is worth it to you. You're having fun so you can't lose.

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

bruno silvaRe: Fair price?
by on Jan 17, 2011 at 2:33:09 pm

I figure the DVD won't take too long. I'll just clean up the video a bit and won't create a menu or anything too fancy.
My concern is that their budget may not have too much money for a videographer but at the same time if my quote is too low I'll have trouble setting higher prices in the future. Most of my work is coming from word of mouth.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Fair price?
by on Jan 17, 2011 at 8:21:05 pm

Bruno, you're in danger of losing money and getting a reputation as someone who works for below the going rate. Until you really time how long the whole process takes you end-to-end, you really don't know if this is even minimum wage you are charging.

One of the most important things you need to do as a business person is figure out YOUR day rate. The rate below which it does not pay you to accept the job. Sure, you can do low-paying work. But below a certain threshold, I think it is better to do the work for free, as if it was a hobby or charity, than to do it so cheaply you can't get any respect.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 17, 2011 at 8:31:12 pm

Thanks for your reply. I initially charged $80 for the soccer games because the job came from a friend so I met him halfway where he can afford it. Now people see me filming and inquire about hiring me to shoot their games as well.

A problem I often face is people don't know how much work is required on my part to film and put something together so when I give them a price they think its too high. Now, someone left me a voicemail inquiring about my services and I want to give him a fair price but I'm not sure what that might be.

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschRe: Fair price?
by on Jan 17, 2011 at 8:46:20 pm

First try a Goggle search and see if you can find a site that lists rates for shooting events...many times they do.

As for making the DVDs you can simplify the process by adding a DVD recorder to your tools. Simply output from the timeline to a DVD recorder assuming you have a Video output card. If not you'll have to do the encode/author route.

$80 to me sounds pretty much the same as free. So yes, you are allowed to raise the price of entry.

BTW, no trouble recording long segments with the 7D?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

by on Jan 17, 2011 at 10:00:13 pm

Thanks for the advice. The DVDs will require a little editing but I don't mind authoring/encoding them. As for the 7D, I just stop and start recording during times when the game stops, like when the ball is out of bounds. Haven't had any issues other than some noise but I'm learning how to get a better picture.

I will now google some rates, thanks again.

Return to posts index

Craig SeemanRe: Fair price?
by on Jan 17, 2011 at 10:13:44 pm

bruno, if the games you've shot so far are $80 and they're one hour long you could go with $80/hr for the inquiries. That'll help when you get asked to shoot games that take much longer like baseball or softball as well as full four quarters of football.

As others allude to, you'd need a day or, at least, a half day rate. You have to factor that it takes time to get to the game, setup, break down, go back to home base. For example, if you can't shoot back to back games in two different locations you have factor that you can't book the rest of the day even if the game you're shooting is only an hour in this case.

Obviously if we're talking about flag football these are low budget but don't forget the players can probably each chip in $10-$20 and cover a few hours of your time.

As Rich alludes to, you're obviously have limited duration records. I can imagine with football or baseball you can stop after each play or at bat. With Soccer, Hockey and maybe Basketball that would be a problem. The other related issue is camera overheating.

All this is shooting though. Keep in mind even if all you're doing is importing, clean up, burn to DVD, that takes time and you should charge for that as well.

Return to posts index

Craig SeemanRe: Fair price?
by on Jan 17, 2011 at 10:20:36 pm

BTW since no one mentioned where you might go with this as a business, if you get really good at this you could look into High School sports high light reals. If a kid is a top tier talent and pursuing an athletic scholarship for college, parents have been known to spend healthy 4 digit amount to hire someone to cover the games and create a demo to present to recruiters.

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Fair price?
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 3:30:09 pm

Bruno, this becomes a loaded question as some old schoolers will scream half day rates and actually get miffed as if you took money out of their pocket by low-balling. Obsurd, I know. This is not unlike creating unions and minimum wage then pretending to wonder why labor runs across the border. It's because they are less lazy.
Bottom line, bid what you think you can get. To answer your question, yes, by all means you should try to raise your rate for the new client. Should you pass if they decline on the higher price? Brother, that's only up to you and has nothing to do with folks who charge 4 figures a day for their services. Often, a young person with initiative gains much more than a check for their services... 100 percent of the time, if that young person allows it.
Now, is their exploitation in this cold cruel world? Well yeah but a small league isn't out to screw anyone. They simply havn't a budget for a big production and truely would rather have little Stevie's Dad shoot it on his HD camera he got at Best Buy if they can't get a videographer to do it for 80 bucks. That's not negotiation, that's reality.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2011 at 3:52:01 pm

Thanks for your reply and perspective. We ended up agreeing on a price, lower than I would have liked but I really want the job because I know it can lead to more work which will lead to experience and additional income.

You're right that these guys want a videographer but will settle for a dad's video camera so I need to be flexible for now and just get work.

Return to posts index

Neil HurwitzRe: Fair price?
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 7:28:37 pm

I assume that this is somewhat of a hobby for you,
so 80 bucks for a simple point and shoot is not so bad
If it takes you a total of 3-4 hours per project your making yourself
20.00 to 30.00 an hour. More than double that of flipping hamburgers.
I assume your handing over just one DVD, you should charge at least
10 bucks a copy thereafter. All the soccer moms jumping up and down
yelling "good job" after Buffy or Biff scores a goal should be an easy sell. Forget about what others say, they have no interest in doing this type of stuff and they FORGET that everyone now has a "Flip"
camera. You are not going to earn an Oscar or Emmy or be able to earn a living doing this but you might meet some really cool moms.

Neil Hurwitz

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Fair price?
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 10:55:04 pm

I didn't take it as it was a hobby for him. I take it as becoming a vidographer is a goal for him.

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: Fair price?
by on Jan 25, 2011 at 12:23:30 am

If becoming a videographer is a goal, you need a portfolio. Might as well get paid to make it.

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

by on Jan 25, 2011 at 4:44:05 pm

Yes I want to become a videographer. At the moment I have three clients, two of which are sports shooting and the other is a band. I am a full time assistant editor but lack experience behind the camera.

I'm looking to build a website/portfolio in the upcoming months so I need to get as much work as possible. I usually shoot weeknights and weekends. I really enjoy it so I'm not even charging the band, and I have complete creative control with them. Hopefully it will lead to more work with other musicians.

This community is great, big help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]