BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

CRM Software

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Margie SmithCRM Software
by on Jan 10, 2011 at 3:36:45 pm

I have been a lurker on this forum for awhile.
It has been very interesting and informative to eavesdrop on these conversations.
Finally I'm crawling out of the woodwork.

Can anyone recommend CRM software that they like?
I think Quickbase is great but since we have only 2 "salespeople" here it is really overkill and too much of an expense.

Noticed older postings on this subject but wondering if there were more recent developments out there.

Margie Smith

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: CRM Software
by on Jan 10, 2011 at 9:50:14 pm

Hi Margie, I've been an IT consultant for 10 years (recently transitioned to video/film). Unfortunately, most CRM software is complex and difficult to use. If you must use one, I usually recommend ACT.

However, I recommend you start with your needs, then find a software that meets those. This is one area that you do not want to get more than you need in case of growth. Most CRM software is designed for disciplined salespeople as part of a sales team.

CRM is useless without everyone committed to disciplined usage of it: inputting all contact info of all clients and leads, every contact touch, and all marketing numbers from all campaigns.

If you only have "salespeople" (your quotes) then they probably aren't disciplined sales people who are going to record every touch. I'm not that disciplined. I record the date of the last touch only.

I recently setup a client who just wanted to share certain contacts, and a way to identify which contact belonged to whom. I had set their email up on google apps. I found a plugin that allowed them to share the contacts of their choice and a custom field allows them to identify the owner of the contact.

Start with a list of your requirements, then pick a solution based on it and what existing platform you have. Maybe an excel spreadsheet on a shared network drive will meet those needs (works for my leads list). Maybe a shared folder in outlook or on an email server is it.

Suggested needs:

- Share contacts specified by a folder/category/tag
- ID owner of contact
- One click to start an email from contact list
- Basic contact fields: name, title, company, bus addr, email, co phone, direct phone, mobile, fax, birthday, notes

You probably don't need more than that, and smarter use of software you already use will probably meet your needs adequately. Review the feature list of your email client, your email server, and excel. Later your contacts can be imported to CRM software if you grow to that point.

Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved