BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Website or E-mail Address??

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David BurkartWebsite or E-mail Address??
by on Dec 26, 2010 at 3:03:05 pm

Making my first reel -- which info should I include in the ID tag, my website (which has my e-mail address listed) or just my e-mail address?

I want to include one or the other (not both) to flow with the tune I've put to it...also just to keep it simplified / not too busy

"A song is an excuse to go to a chorus, and a chorus is an excuse to go to a breakdown."

Return to posts index

Jonathan ZieglerRe: Website or E-mail Address??
by on Dec 26, 2010 at 5:23:45 pm

I'm of the opinion that a website is for information which will lead to a contact which is what contact pages are for. Use email to stay in touch, but the latest info should be on your site. Also, to minimize spam, I prefer to use contact forms from my website (a good mail form should eliminate spam before it's sent).

My 2c. ;)

Jonathan Ziegler

Return to posts index

Craig SeemanRe: Website or E-mail Address??
by on Dec 26, 2010 at 5:41:17 pm

What's your "call to action?" Do you want them to view more material or contact you? The more complex you make it for them to contact you, the less likely you'll complete the deal.

All this has to be in the context of the entire "package" of the reel as well and under what circumstances are you delivering it. Basically a reel has to part of an integrated marketing strategy.

I generally tailor the demo to the specific client I'm meeting with. My contact info is on the printed surface of the DVD, the menu, at the end of the video. Each allows for immediate access at the spontaneous moment of decision. Some people are more comfortable on the phone and others with email. A web address allows for further investigation but it NEVER replaces contact information.

The spontaneous moment of decision. If it's on their desk, seeing the contact info on the surface means that don't need to put the DVD into a player. If it's in the player, then having it on the menu means they don't have shuttle through the video. If they've just finished viewing the video they can see it on the end tag (and you'd better hold it long enough for them to hit pause but if it does pop back to the head they'll see it on the menu). In short, make it EASY for them to contact you whenever the moment hits them.

...and the business card... always included with the DVD because it'll fit in their pocket when the DVD won't. They may leave the DVD on the desk but the business card has a better chance of wondering in to their pocket so when they're trying to remember the contact for the DVD they just left on the desk, they have it.

[David Burkart] "I want to include one or the other (not both) to flow with the tune I've put to it...also just to keep it simplified / not too busy"

While the graphic look may be important it should never supersede ease of contact.
Tune is the sound of your phone ringing.
Busy is the state of your business booking jobs (or getting employed).

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Website or E-mail Address??
by on Dec 27, 2010 at 2:05:18 am

I don't see a reason not to include both your website and email address in the tag.

Though I will say we've not had a "Demo Reel" for about 5 years now and I rarely receive demo reels from freelancers anymore. We have our samples posted online and on as do most of the freelancers we work with.

So most folks send me resumes with links to their work these days.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Patrick OrtmanRe: Website or E-mail Address??
by on Dec 30, 2010 at 5:29:10 am

I had a potential client call us up before Christmas, and said he had a heckuva time getting our phone number. He found us off Vimeo. Just a datapoint, and your mileage may vary. But I've updated our phone number on our website, and I may possibly have us put the phone number on our reel. Maybe.

Web and Video Design

Return to posts index

Richard HarringtonRe: Website or E-mail Address??
by on Dec 31, 2010 at 6:48:45 pm

Website is richer.... and fuller experience

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved