BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Opinions? 8mm to DVD

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Johnson
Opinions? 8mm to DVD
on Dec 21, 2010 at 6:36:35 pm

My next door neighbor has a ton of 8mm film that he wants to transfer to DVD. He sent me a link to a company to do this and I'd like your opinion. This company is frightening people. First of all, professionals already know this info. Second, ordinary people just want a transfer, they don't need to know about this technical info nor care about it. You only have hours if your film smells like vinegar!!!
Check it out and give me your opinion. http://www.film-to-video.com/index.html

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: Opinions? 8mm to DVD
on Dec 21, 2010 at 6:57:24 pm

That website is funny. "Because I have a computer science degree, we were the first to go digital!"

The writing style and really long pages seem to be inspired by MLM scheme websites and/or conspiracy theory websites.

Mini DV is about the best quality of video available today, so this guy must be doing something right! :)

Mik Cohen

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Dec 21, 2010 at 7:26:27 pm

He's also "very" big on the "unnecessary" use of "quote" marks that seem to be "thrown" in at wildly "inappropriate" times... something that "always" makes me simultaneously "laugh," "cry," and "shake" my head.

And is usually not the hallmark of someone who should be taken too overly seriously.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Johnson
on Dec 21, 2010 at 8:24:21 pm

I haven't seen these films. I can imagine half of them are of Great Grandmother's Shoes or the ceiling with a case of the photographer's shaky, palsy video. They just want to see what's on the film. Broadcast quality is not needed. They are just home movies... I said, "Let's just project them and shoot them with our broadcast cameras."
The fact that he frightens everyone...he should consider what we do with our clients...backup, backup, backup to different formats.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 22, 2010 at 4:13:15 pm

Walgreens will do this service for you, ask at the photo counter.
Or you can set him up with his own projector and multiplexer/ camera bought off ebay, or do the shoot the screen thing. Depends on his budget. I always had very good results just shooting off a foam core board screen, correcting for keystoning, with the projection shrunk down to about the size of your open hand, which evems out the 'hot spot' in the center and reduces vignetting. Though vignetting is all the rage in every video thesew days, even while we were taught in school it was a technical error to avoid, go figure...

Return to posts index

Padraic Culham
on Dec 22, 2010 at 9:35:21 pm

My favorite line from the website:

"Technically, it is impossible to make a "true" HD product -- like the movie, Avatar -- from Regular 8, Super 8, and 16mm movie film."

I wasn't aware that Avatar was "true" HD. I was under the assumption that it was 2K or 4K. Alas.

(Although the fact that he had to mention it implies he may have gotten some interesting inquiries: "I want to make my grandmother's 8mm footage look like Avatar. Can you do that with your digitals?")

Mac Pro 2x2.8 QuadCore; 6GB RAM; FCStudio2; Adobe Creative Suite 4 Production Premium

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Dec 22, 2010 at 9:41:22 pm

[Padraic Culham] "I wasn't aware that Avatar was "true" HD. I was under the assumption that it was 2K or 4K. Alas. "

Actually Avatar was shot in HD.

http://gadgets.softpedia.com/news/Avatar-Got-Shot-Using-Sony-HD-Cameras-685...

Return to posts index

Padraic Culham
on Dec 22, 2010 at 9:49:55 pm

Mr. Doyle, I stand corrected. Thank you.

I retract my snarky remark.

Mac Pro 2x2.8 QuadCore; 6GB RAM; FCStudio2; Adobe Creative Suite 4 Production Premium

Return to posts index

Dave Po
on Dec 23, 2010 at 3:37:35 pm

Best deal, service, and quality (in SD) I've had for transfers was from Dwayne's Photo (http://www.dwaynesphoto.com)

... for whatever it's worth.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Dec 24, 2010 at 12:05:18 am

After searching ebay for telecine, I found a bunch of products, so depending on how many reels need transfering, buying your own gadget might not be such a bad idea.

Also check out: http://www.pro8mm.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]