BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Demo Reel versus Website

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Harrington
Demo Reel versus Website
on Dec 20, 2010 at 11:57:06 pm

I am serious thinking about chucking demo reels and just sending to online site only (as well as having Vimeo and YouTube channels).

Anyone hard pressed by clients for optical discs these days?

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Demo Reel versus Website
on Dec 21, 2010 at 12:03:29 am

Have not sent out a demo reel in probably 5 years now.......

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Dec 21, 2010 at 12:04:14 am

Can't remember when I sent a reel or disc out last, been years. Most people calling have already seen my sites and just want more info. No one yet has been turned off by sending them a link. However I have most stuff ready to zip and email when a corporate client is completely locked down and has no access to streaming video. When I'm at a lunch meeting I pull out the Droid and play web demos there - interestingly enough it's a soft sell that we do "web videos".

Steve

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Dec 21, 2010 at 1:05:06 am

We either make a demo specifically for a prospect or send them a disc off the shelf. This comes down to knowing your audience. Some folks on corporate networks have trouble with online video or likewise need a disc to show others. Case by case basis.
Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Dec 21, 2010 at 1:59:40 am

We don't get requests for actual physical reels TOO often, but it does happen. In fact I just FedEx'ed one out today. The request came from the feedback form on our website, so I know for a fact that the requestor (a producer in another state who has a new client in our area) has already visited our site. They either want to see more, or to have a physical copy they can pass around, or whatever.

So yes... while we primarily rely on the web we also provide physical reels when asked. I think one of the advantages we have to our reels (we primarily produce broadcast commercials) is that we have different menu-accessible areas on our reels that show different genres... retail, financial institutions, health care, automotive, political, etc. We could put all that on our website, but then the site gets a bit big and overwhelming, I think. I'd rather keep the site a bit more simple giving viewers a "taste"... and if they want to see more (or see something more specific), they can give us a shout.

Like Mike we have also on occasion made custom reels for prospects, zeroing in on more specific spots that are either similar to their businesses or perhaps with a similar concept to what they are trying.

That's a long answer to simply say, "We use both."

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Dec 21, 2010 at 2:47:52 am

I don't think I have put a reel in the mail in over a decade.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 21, 2010 at 7:38:01 am

I've been directing people to my site for 3 years now.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Dec 21, 2010 at 3:25:26 pm

To quote a client from a recent conversation:

"The cloud doesn't always work"

I was recently sitting at a computer in a hospital conference room - no Flash player and an old version of Windows Media Player, nor DVD playback. And network access was slow.

The real world can be much different than the world we media pros live in.

Know thy audience - offer options depending upon the client.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Doug Collins
on Dec 21, 2010 at 3:56:04 pm

A different twist to the question....as managers/owners of production companies, which would you prefer when looking to hire new employees? A dvd reel or website?

Doug

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Dec 21, 2010 at 4:17:39 pm

As an employer, I prefer getting a physical reel in.

At the bare minimum, it shows me that a prospective employee is serious about wanting a job... simply because it takes a little time, effort, and trouble to actually get a physical reel in my hands. It only takes a mouse click to send me a website link.

That, plus I just prefer watching DVDs on a real television set, seen more as they are "meant to be seen," rather than little embedded videos.

It's been quite a while since we had a job opening or made any solicitation for reels, but I still get bunches of DVDs across my desk every week, and I do watch each and every one of them. Ok... I might not watch them the day they come in, and I might not watch all of each of them (some may only get fifteen seconds), but they do all make it into the machine.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Dec 21, 2010 at 5:34:32 pm

[Todd Terry] "That, plus I just prefer watching DVDs on a real television set, seen more as they are "meant to be seen," rather than little embedded videos."

That begs the question, DVD or Blu-Ray?

I can embed a full 1080p video. I haven't yet made a blu-ray disc.

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Dec 21, 2010 at 5:41:15 pm

[Jeremy Doyle] "[Todd Terry] "That, plus I just prefer watching DVDs on a real television set, seen more as they are "meant to be seen," rather than little embedded videos."

That begs the question, DVD or Blu-Ray?

I can embed a full 1080p video. I haven't yet made a blu-ray disc."

Just about everyone has a DVD player. Not everyone has Blu-ray.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Dec 21, 2010 at 5:44:20 pm

Well in the world of today I think for the most part that still means standard-def DVDs... whether native standard-def or downconverted.

I have yet to have someone give me a reel on Blu-ray, although I'm sure it's coming.

Likewise, we have not yet had someone request (or us send) a general reel out on Blu-ray... although if someone requests one, we'd be happy to oblige.

I think that's obviously still both a hardware and a media issue. I'd say most people still don't have a standalone Blu-ray player, and most computers still in service don't have Blu-ray drives... although that's changing fast. And then there's the media cost... a blank printable-surface DVD is what now?... a dime? A quarter? They're so cheap I don't even know. The first blank Blu-ray discs I bought probably not much more than a year ago were pushing 25 bucks apiece. I think the last ones we bought were in the $3-4 range, but that's still not the throwaway cost of a DVD, especially if you are doing lots of them.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Dec 21, 2010 at 7:43:09 pm

More to the point is, the best quality samples of my work would be on the web, not on a DVD. So I could give you a link which is one click to the HD samples or I can go to the effort of making a DVD and sending it out to you so you can probably put it in a DVD player that has to up convert to a TV with a native HD resolution.

Honestly, other than deliverables, I haven't worked much with SD since 2005. If I was showcasing my demo reel, why would I want it to be seen in anything less than the best quality?

Now for me, my demo reel would be used for getting a job, not soliciting work, where I could see a DVD being very useful. There is a big difference between the 2.

If I work in media and I'm petitioning for a job from a media company, I would want the best quality samples.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 21, 2010 at 7:46:46 pm

I send what is requested. Lately it has been "a link to a site with samples of your work."

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Dec 21, 2010 at 9:46:43 pm

If I'm looking to hire, I want a link, NOT a DVD.

I've got too many discs piled up already, and besides, then I'll have to get up and walk over to the credenza, load it in, awwww forget it... I'm already looking at the link of that OTHER person I
wanted to hire!

While there have been some valid suggestions as to why DVD's may still be useful, in my world, by and large they're DEAD.

Mark

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Dec 22, 2010 at 5:59:20 am

To be clear.... we have multiple ways for clients to see. Including several online methods. I've recently been moving most of our stuff to Vimeo due to its more favorable IP rights. I do this as its player works on iPhone and Droid at this point for on the go viewing.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Dec 22, 2010 at 11:45:28 pm

[Todd Terry] "...plus I just prefer watching DVDs on a real television set, seen more as they are "meant to be seen," rather than little embedded videos."

You mean like this one...

Kim Huston - Editor

Or perhaps the uncompressed full-weight 1080p version at http://reels.creativecow.net/film/11503, which if your pipe is deep and wide enough can give you higher than DVD performance. For mortals without 10gig-e pipes, they must wait for the download.

The way the web is going, Blu-ray quality is not far off. In some areas it's already a reality.

The web really is whatever people choose to make it.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Dec 23, 2010 at 1:24:42 am

Point made, Ron... and when I can click on a link and instantly watch full-blown 1080 HD video on an external separate real broadcast or production monitor (not the computer monitor), then I'm sure I'll be a convert. I know those set-ups do and can exist, but it's not the norm for most workstations.

I guess I'm in the peculiar position of being in a business where I sit at a computer all day and look at video... yet I loathe watching video on a computer monitor. Similarly... I hate seeing visible cabling of any kind... boy did I ever pick the wrong business ("There's just no pleeeasing you, is there Mr. Powers?").

One thing I hate about sending out DVDs (whether demos or client approvals or whatever), is knowing that 9 times out of 10 the recipients are probably going to pop it into the DVD drive on their computers... aaarrrgghh. Sometimes I'll tell people, "Play this in a set-top DVD player and watch it on a real TV, to get the best results." That's one reason we encourage clients (at least the ones that are in town) to come in to our place to view and approve their final productions... although of course we often get the "Can't you just email it to me?" Fortunately most enjoy coming in and getting the royal treatment.

It's all just a personal preference, and while I'm pretty adamant about it I'll readily admit that my aversion to computer video is probably in the vast majority.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Dec 23, 2010 at 6:01:43 pm

[Todd Terry] "Point made, Ron... and when I can click on a link and instantly watch full-blown 1080 HD video on an external separate real broadcast or production monitor (not the computer monitor), then I'm sure I'll be a convert."

Why did I know you'd say this? ;o)

Your computer monitor must suck. Me, I use a combination of both HP Dreamcolor monitors and Apple Cinema Displays.

But watching DVDs on broadcast monitors seems sorta like going rabbit hunting with an elephant gun, in my humble opinion.

I don't know about your TV set, but most of the non-production people I know and visit on occasion have set-ups that don't come anywhere near what my computer set-up is.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Dec 23, 2010 at 7:52:26 am

I have 1000 reels to go through right now - and lemme tell ya, I prefer links. In fact, because we submit cuts to clients as links, in many ways providing an asked-for link is the first test to get an interview.
And while I'm at it, I prefer links to actual work in my genre, not full fledged websites that require I navigate through somebody's photo albums, witty thoughts on cheeses of the world, and their cat's blog. Lastly, sites with reels embedded in Flash don't work on iOS devices. Considering how many network execs I know that use the heck out of iPads and iPhones for their work, providing a Flash based reel can seriously hurt a person's chances of getting hired. The reel shows off your work, but how you present it says quite a bit as well.

Give me something simple, clean, and quicktime based and I'm a happy camper.

Return to posts index

Cory Petkovsek
on Dec 30, 2010 at 8:25:16 am

My demo reel is on my website. When I'm at one-on-one meetings, I pull out a little pocket device that has all my videos on it. Have not sent out a disc.

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]