BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

looking for advice on how to sell my project

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alberto ferrignolooking for advice on how to sell my project
by on Dec 4, 2010 at 10:56:46 pm

Dear Gentlemen: my name is Alberto Ferrigno, i live in Monterrey, Mexico, am the legal representative of a small video production company, we have prepared a series of videos that deal with matters of biology, especialy insects and spiders, the project consists of 50 videos 24-25 minutes each, everything was done in standard definition with MiniDV cameras, all the content in these videos is original and has not been published before, we own the copyrights, I have now decided to come to your forum to ask for advice on how to better market this project, i guess the obvious answer is to write to one of the big cable channels that specialize in these subjects but there may be other posibilites like doing it through a distribuitor, maybe there is a way to sell it through the internet, maybe another way i don´t even imagine there is, so if you have any comments they will be wellcome.

Thanks

Alberto Ferrigno

biallogyvideos@prodigy.net.mx

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: looking for advice on how to sell my project
by on Dec 5, 2010 at 12:29:34 pm

So you made something without a target plan in mind?

Are your 50 videos tied in a progressive, coherent theme like a TV episode or are they just a random selection of topics?

Is the content and narration formatted in a documentary/national geographic style or is it just a bunch of footage maybe put to some music?

Why did you choose to make 50 25 minute videos rather than a single or a few couple hour videos?

In short, who specifically would want to watch them and why? Then your next question is where do those people look for that content? There are many distribution channels for many types of content. Too many to capture them all.

You could pitch cable companies, but you need much more of a hook than what you gave us, "a series of videos that deal with matters of biology, especialy insects and spiders".

You might see interest at national geographic or discovery, except shooting on minidv cameras will likely disqualify you even if they liked your pitch.

What might be more effective is contacting biology, insect and arachnid departments at colleges and highschools around the world and seeing if they'd pony up for a copy.

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

alberto ferrignoRe: looking for advice on how to sell my project
by on Dec 5, 2010 at 4:23:46 pm

These documentaries were made in a documentary style, some programs deal with a specific kind of organism, there are programs about butterflies, others about praying mantises, others about caterpillars and so on, I choose 25 minutes because it seems to me it will be easier
to find a buyer than for a 50 minute documentary, I think these kind of material has a niche audience, it is just that the market is becoming more fragmented as time goes by and am looking for the best option, i appreciate your idea of contacting biology departments at collages, that`s the kind of information that i haven´t thought about it.

Thanks for yor post.

Alberto Ferrigno
Biiallogyvideos@prodigy.net.mx

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: looking for advice on how to sell my project
by on Dec 5, 2010 at 8:52:12 pm

You'll want to create a web show for this and sell your own sponsorships. Because you have so much content in SD instead of HD, television really isn't your market at this point. Once you build a following with yur web show, you can pitch is a series if you like. Probably no need at that point as you'll be selling your own sponsorships by then and can just keep feeding that rather than stepping backwards towards temporary broadcast/cable.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 6, 2010 at 1:36:13 am

Thanks for your idea, i will begin looking into it.

Alberto ferrigno.

biallogyvideos@prodigy.net.mx

Return to posts index

mike callaRe: looking for advice on how to sell my project
by on Dec 9, 2010 at 12:09:06 pm

you can contact television distribution companies such as Janson media (http://www.janson.com) ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE A FINISHED SERIES which you do. This is their job. They will find international buyers (tv stations and networks) for you... if they think they can sell it!

You might also want to think about editing a one hour "oneoff" version

It's a good time to start getting in contact with them because the beginning of the new year is when a lot of the distributors have their international shows!

http://www.natpe.org/natpe/ is in January
http://www.mipworld.com/en/mipdoc/ Mipworl and Mipdoc are in april
http://www.discop.com/ has three in the first half of the year
http://www.mipworld.com/mipcom/ mipcom is in october

Return to posts index

by on Dec 9, 2010 at 9:17:11 pm

Thanks a lot!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]