BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Subtitling Studio

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Sacca
Subtitling Studio
on Dec 1, 2010 at 1:02:54 pm

Hi folks.

This is my first post so be gentle....

I've been asked to set up a studio for adding subtitles to video footage which will arrive in a variety of formats from Digibeta masters to FCP/Avid files. I'm an audio engineer at heart so don't really have an idea of what the best equipment I'll need, any help would be great!

Thanks

Dave

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Subtitling Studio
on Dec 1, 2010 at 5:25:12 pm

The closed-captioning forum is a great palce to post this question.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 2, 2010 at 9:25:53 pm

Make it easy on yourself and contact CaptionMax. Great folks, great prices. Send everything to them and mark it up a little bit so you get something out of it.

You will spend all of about 20 minutes on this and you're free to go off and do another job while those folks take care of you.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

David Sacca
on Dec 2, 2010 at 9:50:04 pm

Hi Walter

Thanks for the advice, the problem is we're based in the UK and dealing with Digibeta NTSC/Pal, beta sp ntsc, dv cam. The company we're pitching the service to is only down the road so we're boasting the reduced cost of p&p.

The aim really is to finance a wider service using this subtitling service as a starter, eventually we want to provide full video editing services to local businesses. There's a big demand for it out here but I'm trying to piece together the bare necessities for the studio which will accommodate an expansion later in the game into other services.

So far I've got the requirements as:

Mac
Monitors
Software (avid/fcp)
Some form of video i/o
Some form of tape deck
Some form of clock ref

The 'some form' of are what I really want some advice on, the only real suggestion I have so far is to buy the blackmagic multibridge as the video i/o but I'm open to looking at alternatives.

Also if there's anything else that anyone knows I need I'd be grateful if they could let me know.

Thanks very much!

Dave

Return to posts index

Rick Goldman
on Dec 2, 2010 at 10:46:59 pm

Dave,

Do you have the video equipment and just need subtitling software or do you need everything? Do you need to provide translations?

Return to posts index

David Sacca
on Dec 2, 2010 at 11:28:15 pm

Hi Rick

At the moment I've got no equipment whatsoever so I'm completely starting from scratch. The subtitles will be delivered with the footage, they just need placing at timecode which will also be supplied.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Rick Goldman
on Dec 3, 2010 at 12:08:51 am

Dave,
Why don't you give me a call at 818-660-5553, when you have a chance. I think it would be easier to get an idea of what you'll be needing.

Cheers back.

Rick

Return to posts index

David Sacca
on Dec 3, 2010 at 12:14:25 am

Hi Rick, sorry but I'm based in the UK. Can't really budget for calls to the states.

Return to posts index

Rick Goldman
on Dec 3, 2010 at 1:25:01 am

Dave,

You might want to contact Bartho Kriek
at http://www.subtitlingworldwide.com/index.html

He's a good guy (much closer to your time zone) who will give you good advice.

Best,

Rick

Return to posts index

David Sacca
on Dec 3, 2010 at 1:31:02 am

Thanks Rick, I really appreciate your help. I'll get in touch with Bartho. I don't suppose you're on skype by any chance?

Return to posts index

Terry Mikkelsen
on Dec 3, 2010 at 1:30:53 am

Wow! You are asking for advice which should cost you hundreds of dollars. Someone is willing to help you out and you won't spend a few bucks on a phone call?

How do you intend to get all of this equipment that you need? Are you going to start another post asking for free equipment? Hopefully your donated equipment will come with free shipping too.

Tech-T Productions
http://www.technical-t.com

Return to posts index

David Sacca
on Dec 3, 2010 at 2:14:42 am

Why should it cost hundreds of dollars? All I've done is ask a question. If someone can help me then fantastic, I'm very grateful. If there's any advice I can pass on to others I will do without a second thought, or without money crossing my mind. If I had the money to call then I would do gladly but unfortunately I don't and the company I'm working for as of yet don't have the money either as we're only just starting up. The reason I'm asking is because I'm putting together a proposal which will secure some investment if it's done properly. I'm sure you can appreciate the strains of setting up your own business.

I'd appreciate that if you don't have any advice to offer then you don't criticize me when you obviously don't understand my situation. Leaving ridiculous comments is unfair and a complete waste of your time which is obviously very expensive.

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Dec 10, 2010 at 1:50:01 pm

[David Sacca] "Why should it cost hundreds of dollars?"

Because you're going to spend several hundred thousands and "several" could be "two", "three" or "five".

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]