BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

End of year purchases wish list

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Davidson
End of year purchases wish list
on Nov 24, 2010 at 8:00:20 am

It's getting that time of year again. The time where if you have any surplus in the business account you need to buy some toys. With that in mind, what's on your wish list from Santa this year?

I'm thinking perhaps an FSI color correction monitor, an Arri light kit, or even some aluminum business cards. What interesting things will you be considering this year?

Cheers,
John

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: End of year purchases wish list
on Nov 24, 2010 at 2:53:14 pm

Too numerous to mention but some of the things we're picking up are:

ProTools HD Native 5.1 mixing workstation along with microphones and headphones for the VO Booth. Finally adding audio mixing to our list of services.

8 foot 16:9 projection screen for the new screening room.

FSI 2460W and 2470W monitors.

Upgrading all our Adobe packages to CS5.

Upgraded our CatDV to the Enterprise level. It comes with Captain Kirk's chair....

More toys too but that's the bulk of it.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Nov 24, 2010 at 3:09:18 pm

Wanted to pull the trigger for awhile but haven't yet on a wide angle matte box with follow focus. I just wish I had some assurance that the brand name system around $6k was $3-4k better than the cheaper ones. Time for serious research will probably make the choice easier. Finding the time is probably the primary reason this keeps getting put off.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Nov 24, 2010 at 3:36:34 pm

Have been wanting a couple more good primes to add to the 35mm set... would jump at a decent 100mm if I stumbled on the right Cooke or Letiz superspeed.

I was REALLY hoping that Redrock had already released their new electronic microFollowFocus by now... if they had I would have owned one already, but it's still in development (if you're not familiar, check it out.... waaaaay cool).

Maybe another HMI head and might make the jump into LED lighting.

Maybe a new matte box (I have a good matte box but a swing-away is sorely needed).

Probably a new field monitor.

Like Walter, probably some CS5 upgrades (although we have been sad to learn that not all of our suites can be upgraded to CS5... grrrr).

That's probably about it. We've actually had a very good year but my partner (who is the bean counter) always looks askance at me when I talk about new toys.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Nov 24, 2010 at 6:26:19 pm

[Todd Terry] "but my partner (who is the bean counter) always looks askance at me when I talk about new toys."

T2, boy, does THAT sound familiar, only it's my wife who routinely regards new tools as new toys. I keep trying to explain that if I owned a machine shop and needed a new drill press she wouldn't be rolling her eyes... but then again, she probably would.

And yes, the bump up to the Intel chip set is in the fine print on the CS-5 upgrade. The manufacturers are only happy when we're buying new stuff.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 25, 2010 at 12:03:09 am

What is this word, "surplus" you guys are using?

I ALWAYS have wish lists; they make us write them on what seems a quarterly basis, but most of them seem to disappear down a rabbit hole...

Anyhow, if I could, I have plans for using the new Panasonic 50 series HD/Sd switcher, along with 2 of the HD PTZ remote cams and controller. Also their 400 switcher.

And one of the new multihoming video streaming over 4G phone FTP systems, to quickly relay field news footage back to the shop for edit and uplink, from locations that are hours away by car.

A bluray recording and dubbing station as well.

As far as what I *think* we're getting... some new Rosco gel packs and gaffer tape rolls. A beamsplitter for my giant 42" prompter. And hopefully no pink slips.

The Dollar General store near my home has card-based camcorders for sale tomorrow for $20. I'll get one just to goof around with, a "disposable" camcorder for the kids to play with, to hang off the bow of my boat, etc. and maybe a second one so I can pair them up and shoot 3-d home movies.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 25, 2010 at 1:27:24 pm

My Canon T2i DSLR is on the way. I can't wait.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Nov 26, 2010 at 6:20:45 pm

Bob with a DSLR is freakin coolness waitin' to happen.
My list includes a Martin 12 string
a flat black Ibanez
and a wiz bang Roland synth

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Nov 30, 2010 at 12:35:59 am

Good stuff. Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Patrick Ortman
on Dec 2, 2010 at 10:51:50 pm

Nice!

Mine's just got here in time to use on the last projects of the year- a new SSD MacPro with 16GB RAM and a new SSD RAID card to make our editing/render lives a lot less painful in FCP and Adobe.

Maybe not as fancy as Walter's list ;-)

P

---------------------
http://www.patrickortman.com
Web and Video Design

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]