BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

BluRay & XD Cam Prices You Charge

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy PinckertBluRay & XD Cam Prices You Charge
by on Nov 12, 2010 at 10:13:42 pm

I have a couple questions:

What do you charge for a Blu-ray DVD author (just first play) plus 3 copies? We normally just give Quicktime HD files, but we have a client who is requesting BluRay as a backup.

What about price for XD Cam offload and price of media?

The video is about 4 minutes long and is 1080 HD.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: BluRay & XD Cam Prices You Charge
by on Nov 13, 2010 at 2:49:33 am

Some companies charge for these services, others roll the price into their rates. We do a combination. But a specific price has to be based upon your own business.

If you are rendering, and not multitasking on that computer, then the machine is not available for you to use for billable work. So that has some value. Is this value something you bill for? Or is the price you charged for the production adequate to cover rendering and / or authoring. You will have to make the call.

Mike Cohen

Medical Education / Multimedia Producer

Return to posts index

Jeremy PinckertRe: BluRay & XD Cam Prices You Charge
by on Nov 15, 2010 at 1:43:06 pm

I'm pretty much looking for an ala carte price to compare to. Our client just threw in the "oh yeah, we want this on Blu Ray" request after the project has been approved, and the XD Cam request as well. We contracted to deliver Quicktime HD data file.

So, I'm looking for a fair price for what most people charge for a Blu Ray DVD author, price of the actual disc, etc.

XD would be nice too.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: BluRay & XD Cam Prices You Charge
by on Nov 15, 2010 at 1:55:19 pm

You'll find that most folks on here don't share pricing information as pricing is different all over the country and all over the world. If you want to know what a fair rate is in your area, you simply call another production company and ask what their rate would be to do what your client asked.

When I figure services around here, I generally start with our standard hourly rate and work it from there.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jeremy PinckertRe: BluRay & XD Cam Prices You Charge
by on Nov 15, 2010 at 2:21:59 pm

Thanks Walter, understood on sharing the pricing, we're in a smaller market so we don't share pricing info either between ourselves, competitive thing go figure. I will call Chicago market.

Return to posts index

Brent DunnRe: BluRay & XD Cam Prices You Charge
by on Nov 17, 2010 at 5:53:19 pm

It depends on if you are making just a backup file stored onto a BluRay, or do they expect you to AUTHOR a playable BluRay.

On a Mac my BluRay could take up to 30 hrs. to author, thus tying up my computer. It's faster now with CS5 64 Bit. Plus you have to calculate time spent if you have to make menu's etc.

Standard practice for something like this being thrown in is to charge an hourly rate, letting them know your projected time.

I

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1, V1U
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite