BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Raw footage but different situation then past here..please read

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven CambriaRaw footage but different situation then past here..please read
by on Nov 5, 2010 at 5:43:23 pm

Hi All...Forgive me if this is the same topic that was discussed before, but I believe it to be different.

Situation. I shot a short with acquaintances that all share an equal level. We are all actors who came together to shoot skits and post them on Youtube/funny or die. At a recent skit, I was a character with another actor and a fellow actor was "behind the camera" directing. We shot the film and I asked for the raw footage and he refuses to give it to me. Now, Nothing was signed and no rights were released by me to them in any way shape of form

The "director" claims that no one would ever have access to raw material, and I completely disagree. As far as I am concerned in this situation, we all have equal rights to the material..ALL the material.

I realize that I am fighting a losing battle since no matter what, he can still hold the footage, but I just wanted some professional advice. (I know the first piece of advice is to always get things in writing ;-) )

What do you all think? Can someone offer my any insight or assistance? If worse comes to worse (and it probably will) I will have the websites remove my image and likeness as it is being used with out my consent.

WIth the ability to post things on line, and the ease of use of cameras et al I feel that this is a very timely project as more and more people will be getting together to shoot things.

Thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo JørgensenRe: Raw footage but different situation then past here..please read
by on Nov 5, 2010 at 6:24:18 pm

Hey Steven,

I would negotiate access if I was you, based on allowing the "Director" a say in how you use it.

Alternatively, I would tell the director "that him holding on to the rushes is not in the spirit of the project" and ask for the video to be removed from public use and for him to undertake not to use it any further - that should get you back to negotiating access.

All the Best
Mads
London, UK

Please don't to visit our new faceBook page here: http://www.facebook.com/MacMillionProductions

Mac Million Ltd. - HD Production & Editing
Blog: http://macmillionltd.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Raw footage but different situation then past here..please read
by on Nov 5, 2010 at 7:39:53 pm

He mas the ownwrship rights to the tapes, absent a written agreement to t e contrary. There's nothing he can do commercially with the footage of you, however, without your permission. Standoff.

Return to posts index

Steven CambriaRe: Raw footage but different situation then past here..please read
by on Nov 6, 2010 at 4:55:27 am

Thank you both so much for your input. I appreciate it. I will probably try to get some sort of copy and then tell him that I give no permission for him to use my likeness. As I am in the union here, I could also report it to them as well if need be.

Thank you .

Steve

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo JørgensenRe: Raw footage but different situation then past here..please read
by on Nov 7, 2010 at 5:46:58 pm

Hey Steven,

[Steven Cambria] " I will probably try to get some sort of copy and then tell him that I give no permission for him to use my likeness"

Just to clarify; I think that you were meant to say that "you'll get a copy and usage of the rushes in return for the director to be allowed to use a mutually agreed cut of the film" - this I think will work best for both parties...

All the Best
Mads
London, UK

Please don't to visit our new faceBook page here: http://www.facebook.com/MacMillionProductions

Mac Million Ltd. - HD Production & Editing
Blog: http://macmillionltd.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

Alan LloydRe: Raw footage but different situation then past here..please read
by on Nov 8, 2010 at 12:26:50 am

As Mark S. says above, it's a standoff.

For my part, I'd seriously question working with this person again. Not a "team player" from what I read in your post.

Return to posts index

Chris BlairRe: Raw footage but different situation then past here..please read
by on Nov 8, 2010 at 2:04:35 am

If your description of the intent of the group is accurate, then the guy you're battling with is indeed a supreme douchebag!

Why on earth would he not want you to have the footage? Are you sure he doesn't mean that he doesn't want to hand out the raw footage master as opposed to making you a dub or providing digital copies of the raw takes? What I mean is...perhaps he's just trying to protect he raw footage itself rather than give it out to folks?? Sort of like how movie studios used to lock away the raw footage reels to protect them and edit from duplicates.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com
Read our blog http://www.videomi.com/blog

Return to posts index

Steven CambriaRe: Raw footage but different situation then past here..please read
by on Nov 8, 2010 at 4:04:46 am

f your description of the intent of the group is accurate, then the guy you're battling with is indeed a supreme douchebag!

*******My description is very accurate, and yes...he is an extreme douchebag.

Why on earth would he not want you to have the footage? Are you sure he doesn't mean that he doesn't want to hand out the raw footage master as opposed to making you a dub or providing digital copies of the raw takes? What I mean is...perhaps he's just trying to protect he raw footage itself rather than give it out to folks?? Sort of like how movie studios used to lock away the raw footage reels to protect them and edit from duplicates.

I am sure...he does not want me to have a copy of the raw footage in any way, shape, or form. There is no intention on his part to keep anything at all for future of anything....Just an ass.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 8, 2010 at 4:02:14 am

Believe me....I have already ended my relationship with him...aside from waiting to get my copy of the piece.

Return to posts index

Peter RalphRe: Raw footage but different situation then past here..please read
by on Nov 8, 2010 at 7:44:14 pm

Have you any idea why he is refusing?

Do you plan on re-editing the footage - Is that what he is nervous of?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]