BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Are you lucky?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Doyle
Are you lucky?
on Nov 4, 2010 at 7:06:10 pm

I just ran across this video from the CEO & founder of GoDaddy.com about being lucky and successful.
I thought I'd share it here because of the subject matter And I found the video to be entertaining, but maybe a bit over the top. Kinda like the commercials.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Are you lucky?
on Nov 4, 2010 at 9:20:59 pm

I think his lawyer had better be lucky, when all the cease-and-desist orders come in for the plethora of copyrighted music he stole for this project.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Nov 4, 2010 at 10:00:46 pm

[Mark Suszko] "the plethora of copyrighted music he stole for this project."

You wouldn't think a big outfit like GoDaddy would blatantly steal music... but surely they wouldn't have spent the many tens of thousands of dollars (at least) that it would take to actually license those tracks. I found it odd that they credited the tracks at the end... maybe that makes them think it helps fall under "fair use" or something. Which it of course does not.

Also, they ripped off the "green band" movie rating slate, even including the MPAA logo. The terms they used, "PG" and "PG-13" of course apply only to motion pictures, are registered trademarks, and are vigilantly protected by the Motion Picture Association of America. I even know of one instance where the MPAA went after a small local community theatre, who put "G" or "PG" ratings on the posters for their amateur plays.

You have to wonder what some people are thinking.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Nov 5, 2010 at 3:42:26 pm

[Mark Suszko] "I think his lawyer had better be lucky, when all the cease-and-desist orders come in for the plethora of copyrighted music he stole for this project."

With and estimated 700-800 million dollar revenue a year, I'm pretty sure he isn't stealing much copyrighted music. And if he is than some lawyer is really dropping the ball because AC/DC has been used in his blogs since early 2008 and always credited in the credit roll.

Besides, why go through the effort of putting it all in a credit roll unless there's a reason to do a credit roll?

Anyways, that not the point of why I posted the video in the first place. I just thought that some of his points were good and applied on how to be successful in business.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Nov 5, 2010 at 3:53:26 pm

[Jeremy Doyle] "I'm pretty sure he isn't stealing much copyrighted music."

You sure wouldn't think so... but I can say with 100% assurance that the stole the movie-ratings "green band" slate. The MPAA never ever ever allows its usage for anything other than for rated motion pictures that people have paid for them to rate. And never for anything other than movies. They are also extremely protective of it and have issued more cease-and-desist orders against people for unauthorized use of movie-rating designations than you can count.

Just weird that someone would do that.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 5, 2010 at 7:56:08 pm

I like to look at these kind of business advice things generally, and I thank you for posting it, but I found this particular pack of aphorisms kind of 'meh'. A few of them were mildly contradictory, which reminded me of segments Trump used to have on his "Apprentice" show, little "pearls of wisdom" from The Donald. In Trump's case, many of the "tips" were directly contrary to each other, and seemed completely random and situational. The guy that edited the Godaddy stuff looks like he had some fun playing with compositing in post. That was a lot of work.

Also, didn't I just read something recently about godaddy being in negotiations to be bought out by some other entity?

now, for another business-related video, here's Mike Rowe, the "Dirty jobs" guy, talking about what he learned ona sheep farm, the dirty job being the um, "alteration" of lambs. (some slightly NSFW words and imagery used, might want to lower your speakers):

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/mike_rowe_celebrates_dirty_jobs.html

The link has been intermittent lately, if it doesn't work right away, search "Mike Rowe TED talk" and you'll find it was worth it.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Nov 6, 2010 at 1:20:38 am

Not exactly business advice but how to appear or feel lucky. I find that most of them are true. I identified with most of it and it pretty much described my business model. I'm not nearly as successful as he, but after seeing this I hope to be.

See, already applying some of his ideas....

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on Nov 6, 2010 at 11:06:31 am

I missed all that. Did he say something? All I could see was Leanne's lapel mic and hear AkkaDakka. Mesmerising, they were.

Return to posts index

wiremu harpuka
on Nov 8, 2010 at 10:32:42 am

I am lucky and successful because I did not waste more than 30 seconds watching it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]