BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Estimate on road repair video

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy Wheeler
Estimate on road repair video
on Nov 4, 2010 at 2:09:24 pm

Have any of you shot video of the pre-existing conditions of streets and surrounding areas before a road construction project begins? This is to have, on record, the conditions of the area so if there are any damage claims during or after the construction they can reference the video to see if the claim is legit.

If you have done this type of video project, how did you go about calculating the estimate? Did you get any payment up front? This is for a contractor hired by the city and they are required to produce this video under the contract they have with the City.

Thanks,

Randy

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Estimate on road repair video
on Nov 4, 2010 at 2:28:18 pm

[Randy Wheeler] "If you have done this type of video project, how did you go about calculating the estimate? Did you get any payment up front? This is for a contractor hired by the city and they are required to produce this video under the contract they have with the City."

This is pretty easy to estimate.

How many days are you going to have to be on site to shoot all the various material that will be required to properly document the "pre" condition?

Multiply that by your standard rate.

If you need to edit / author this to DVD, figure out how many hours x your hourly / daily rate.

This is about as straight forward a job as they come.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 4, 2010 at 3:03:22 pm

[Randy Wheeler] "This is to have, on record, the conditions of the area so if there are any damage claims during or after the construction they can reference the video to see if the claim is legit."

I know that there are plenty of companies that specialize in legal videography, as well as a couple organizations that certify legal videographers. I don't know what extra steps (if any) they have to take to make sure that their footage will hold up in court, or what their responsibility is after the video is delivered.

Since a court proceeding could be the endgame here, I'd think you'd want to research this angle and budget accordingly. This may be very straightforward, as Walter suggested, but there might be additional layers of complexity: legal requirements, contractual requirements, E&O insurance, etc.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 4, 2010 at 3:07:40 pm

[Walter Soyka] " E&O insurance, etc."

actually E&O insurance is a good catch. That would definitely be appropriate in a case like this.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Nov 4, 2010 at 4:13:02 pm

I would ask for a very specific list of everything you need to document. Living in a town where we had a horrible highway project (the first contractor used after market drain components and neglected to follow the plans, requiring a 2nd contractor to fix everything after the first contractor split town), I would image they would need shots of every curb, storm drain, signpost, hen house and outhouse to cover their bases. If they have to shut down traffic for you to do the shoot, and you need to be walking on a highway with video gear, make sure the time and liability coverage is well documented.

You could charge by the mile maker!

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 4, 2010 at 4:37:25 pm

Do NOT let them make you wait until the entire road is done and approved, before you get paid for recording the initial conditions. You need to get paid at every major stage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]