BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

liability insurance; additionally insured

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Fremdliability insurance; additionally insured
by on Oct 7, 2010 at 4:50:14 am

I am in the midst of a SNAFU and am not sure where the problem lies. I am scheduled to videotape in a client's office. The building manager has required its companies to be listed as additionally insured on the certificate. However, there is not simply one company to be listed. There are five or six separate entities that all must be listed as additionally insured. My agent says the cost to list each one is over $100 and now the underwriter is saying that the whole is outside of its guidelines to do. At this point I don't know what the resolution will be or if this location is viable.

As this is the first time this scenario has presented itself to me, can anyone tell me if this is a normal situation? Is it common for there to be multiple companies listed as addt'l insured when shooting at one location? Is the fault with my actual policy or is the issue probably with the underwriter? Does anyone see an easy solution to this problem or should I start looking for an alternate location?

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: liability insurance; additionally insured
by on Oct 7, 2010 at 5:27:46 am

I have not experienced this, so here's a guess. The building manager should only be requesting such a thing if his 6 companies all own a part of the building. If only one company owns the building, then that one company should be the only one insured. If only one company owns the building, but the other 5 are in the building, still only the one that owns it needs to be insured.

I would get your client involved, since they are the building managers customer and they'll have more weight than you will. Something saying like, 'Your building manager is requiring really extraordinary measures to film here. They should only request one company insured, not 6. So we could always rent out a studio for $xxx a day if they aren't being reasonable.'

Your insurance doesn't sound too out of line, although I've talked with production insurance agents that will provide certificates for free.

Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Scott SheriffRe: liability insurance; additionally insured
by on Oct 7, 2010 at 5:46:03 am

Not completely unheard of to have a property management company, or building owner ask to be listed as an additionally insured party, but this sounds excessive. It almost sounds like a deliberate jerk-around. You would think listing the parent company, or the division directly responsible for the building would be sufficient.
I would ask the client to use his position as a tenant to help resolve this on the building company end, since the underwriter thinks this is outside the norm as well.
If not, unless there is something unique about the clients office that can't be duplicated somewhere else, it might just be better to shoot in a different location.
For every location like this that is a hassle, there is one that doesn't even ask, or care what your doing.

Scott Sheriff
SST Digital Media

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: liability insurance; additionally insured
by on Oct 7, 2010 at 2:15:41 pm

Is this office some secret headquarters of a national security operation? Or are they a bunch of stock traders afraid that when your HMI light blows a breaker, it will kill their supercomputer and create an instant 500-point blip in the Dow-Jones? Or is the building manager's mother on a heart-lung machine in the basement or something? Can you ask what the percieved liability IS?

Return to posts index

Bill DavisRe: liability insurance; additionally insured
by on Oct 7, 2010 at 6:08:17 pm

This made me laugh.

Once upon a time I wanted to shoot in the local State University football stadium. (needed an EMPTY STANDS shot and it's public property after all) They also ran me through the "named insured" dance.

So I did it. What a hassle.

Since then (15 years ago) A call to my Insurance company gets me a current "certificate of insurance" that I can copy and send to anyone. This establishes that I carry standard business and professional insurance - at significant limits (IIRC $5mil/10mil) which should be enough for anyone.

if they keep pushing back, you've got an ignorant gatekeeper. Adding the property owner as a "named insured" is sensible if you're shooting a weekly series for a year at a local sports bar - but overkill if you're going to be on the property for a couple of hours for a limited purpose.

Here's a tip. Every year when your insurance renews, scan your policy and store it as a PDF on your phone or laptop. When someone asks about INSURANCE matters, - email them a PDF ON THE SPOT - of either the coverage limits page - or if they're acting obnoxious give them the WHOLE POLICY and tell them they're welcome to print it out and spend a few hours checking to see if if satisfies their requirments. Typically, that's the LAST you'll hear from them.

Essentially, they're asking you to prove you're professionally covered. A full blown "named insured
certificate" is overkill for a short visit to a facility, IMO.

My 2 cents worth - I'm NOT a real estate OR insurance professional. But that's how I play it and it's always worked for me.

FCP since NAB 1999
creator: muti-track movies

Return to posts index

Neil HurwitzRe: liability insurance; additionally insured
by on Oct 8, 2010 at 12:06:03 am

You are getting baloney from both sides
I can understand the "Building" wanting a Ins Cert
because you will be using their freight and lobby
I can understand the "client Company" wanting one because you will
be setting up and working in their space.
So 2 certs Max.
Also you are getting hosed by your Insurance Co and or Broker
I always got these for free.
It's part of customer service or should be.
Break out the old Triple Bid threat for your renewal

Neil Hurwitz

Return to posts index

Vince BecquiotRe: liability insurance; additionally insured
by on Oct 9, 2010 at 6:27:34 pm

The fact however in all of this is that your insurer should not require an additional fee for each additional company listed on the certificate, our insurer has done this many times for no additional cost. They should at least give you a deal and work with you. I would threaten to move to a different insurer and see how it goes, there are plenty of them out there.

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

Derek FremdRe: liability insurance; additionally insured
by on Oct 10, 2010 at 3:45:04 pm

Thanks for all the replies. Here is my general dilemma re:insurance. There is one firm here locally that specializes in entertainment insurance. Their quote for general liability plus a modest policy on equipment was astronomical for a small company such as mine. I called and emailed a variety of other insurance companies and agents who deal in commercial insurance for other quotes on general liability. To my astonishment, except for one agent every inquiry went unanswered. Other companies sent me paperwork for motion picture insurance for specific productions which was not what I wanted. When I contacted them to resend correct forms those call also went unanswered. So now I feel I am stuck with what I have.

For those of you happy with your insurance coverage are you willing to share what companies you are insured through? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeff CadgeRe: liability insurance; additionally insured
by on Oct 10, 2010 at 5:38:53 pm

There is an organization called Fractured Atlas, it's a non-profit that helps
the arts community including us video people, you have to join with a modest fee. I have found their prices for insurance to be fair and they produce insurance certificates really quick and at no additional cost.

Good Luck,

Jeff Cadge

Return to posts index

Scott SheriffRe: liability insurance; additionally insured
by on Oct 10, 2010 at 11:38:18 pm

If you own a home, and just need liability coverage to get access to demanding locations go to your homeowners agent and get a one million dollar general liability umbrella.
This is pretty standard stuff, not that costly, maybe a couple hundred a year depending on your relationship with your agent, and past claims. If you don't own a home, it won't be as easy to get.
Insuring equipment is a whole 'nuther deal.

Scott Sheriff
SST Digital Media

Return to posts index

Vince BecquiotRe: liability insurance; additionally insured
by on Oct 10, 2010 at 11:41:00 pm

Check if your broker has access to CNA.

You are looking at under $600.00 a year for 1 M liability, and a bit more for rented equipment insurance (based on previous info your provided).

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

Mick HaenslerRe: liability insurance; additionally insured
by on Oct 12, 2010 at 1:43:17 pm

I pay a little over $600 a year with Allstate for 1 mil in liability, 100k on equipment, plus 20k for rental gear. We have our homeowners, car and boat insurance with this agent which makes things a lot easier and cheaper. They like it when you give them all of your business.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Ed CilleyRe: liability insurance; additionally insured
by on Oct 14, 2010 at 9:09:53 pm

The Hartford. They aren't tuned into the needs of video production necessarily, but offer good general liability coverage. (And won't charge for "additional insured.")

Avid and FCP Preditor
Anything worth doing at all, is worth doing well.
- Philip Dormer Stanhope, Earl of Chesterfield

Return to posts index

Tony EspositoRe: liability insurance; additionally insured
by on Feb 25, 2011 at 5:04:01 pm

Thanks guys, out of this chain I heard about Allstate and The Hartford. Are there any other suggestions? I want to do the same as Mick with liability for sure then I was going to see about rental and E&O which I agree with another on here that, that can be avoided with a contract so maybe equipment? Also, I thought 2 million was the norm on liability?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved