BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

A bit dry, but do you think he's right?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
A bit dry, but do you think he's right?
on Oct 5, 2010 at 7:31:41 pm

Return to posts index

Cory Petkovsek
Re: A bit dry, but do you think he's right?
on Oct 5, 2010 at 10:20:20 pm

Right about what? He didn't say anything. Nothing positive or tangible anyway, except that corporate training is often disconnected from practical application. To that extent, what he did say has been consistent with my experience.

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video
http://www.CorporateVideoSD.com

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Oct 5, 2010 at 10:34:45 pm

Most COWers will agree that self motivation to learn is a must in any creative business.

That's not necessarily true for corporation jobs. That's why office training is so hard.

I was giving a training about doing better presentations about a year ago. People there agree that the typical PowerPoint style was boring and all bullets could be even confusing, but in the end most of them continued doing presentations that way. Why?

Fear to be different, one said to me.

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 6, 2010 at 2:40:52 pm

I think a lot of training is done more to check off a required obligation on some form, than to really do something to teach. I was sympathetic to the issue that the management culture has to buy-in to the purposes and themes of the training, or it won't "stick".

If I was to re-write Dante', or a bad Twilight Zone episode, one of the circles of hell would be sitting in a hot, stuffy room with no drinks or snacks or breaks for three hours to watch a single-camera, one-angle, three-hour tape of some guy slowly reading an instruction manual, out loud, in a halting monotone, alternating with powerpoint slides of the manual pages. And you have the manual in your lap already, but can't turn your page until he turns his. And there are no questions or answers or hands-on exercises. And the thing he's reading to you, you will be tested on, once, but then you will never use it again.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 7, 2010 at 9:00:36 am

You and I both learn differently TODAY than we did three years ago.

We're immersed in web searches - social media - non linear content skipping - branching - limited character messaging (tweets) and visual stimulation that informs us at every turn and move (like the flurry of moving ads surrounding this page right now.)

Does your training look ANYTHING like ANY of this? Or is it the same 45 minute long "video presentation" that some poor schmuck has to endure in order to get his or her nametag and get to the floor in order to make a living.

EVERYTHING on the planet is changing. Fast.

But employee training is mostly stuck circa 2003.

And that's not gonna change until someone figures out a new delivery paradigm for "nuggetized" information presented at the point of need - fast, engaging, and OVER before the learner has even a CHANCE to get bored.

NOT an easy task today. But maybe in the near future as more screens are built into more devices that can be personalized to whoever is using them.

The information has to FIND the audience. NO more gathering people into boring preseentations. Just make learning a part of the flow of every day activity.

The waiter or waitress gets ready to go on shift. Logs into her iPad-like "order book" and for 30 seconds gets an engaging update on the days specials and how their presentation should look (Great Mahi today your customers will LOVE it.) - a 5 second reminder about what "good customer service" looks like and how trying a new technique (when making big bill change - break a big bill down into smaller bills so the customer has more tip options!) - and BOOM - it's OVER.

THAT would be effective modern training.

Gonna be a while, tho.

FCP since NAB 1999
creator: muti-track movies
http://www.starteditingnow.com

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on Oct 14, 2010 at 11:32:51 am

[Mark Suszko] "a single-camera, one-angle, three-hour tape of some guy slowly reading an instruction manual,"
That was me. I filmed it. I advised against it, but I still did it. It's part of mandatory training but most people can't even remember the title.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]