BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

In-House Editor salary rates at post houses...

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Meredith Cruse
In-House Editor salary rates at post houses...
on Sep 24, 2010 at 11:50:46 pm

Hi,

I am a producer in Los Angeles with years of experience producing indie shorts and corporate videos. I am helping a friend of mine evaluate a company that he may acquire. We both know production and know post production rates, but only on a project basis like
hourly and weekly rates.

I am looking for the range of salaries for in-house
editors (like ones who work at a post house full time with benefits not project contingent) ranging from offline Avid and FCP cutters with Motion Graphics experience to Smoke finishers. And if by chance you have assistant editor rates as well that would be greatly appreciated. Due to labor laws, we are not allowed to ask what the company currently pays its employees. It is strictly for our own education and not to be published or quoted.

I know this can be a sticky subject and I don't mean to offend, I'm just looking for some ball park figures so we know what we're getting into.

If you feel more comfortable emailing off list please do so at Meredith@frameproductions.com.

Thanks so much for your help.

Cheers,
Meredith

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: In-House Editor salary rates at post houses...
on Sep 25, 2010 at 1:51:43 am

Madison, WI. 250,000 people. Midwest.

$38,000 - $90,000

Based on reel, potential clients who will follow, client draw and ability to work with a wide range of project types and client types.

Low whining factor a huge plus.

Uses the keyboard more than the mouse, add $10k per year.

After Effects and Photoshop experience, add another $10k.

Midwest dollars.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Sep 25, 2010 at 8:20:49 pm

For experienced talent it is usually based off of billings. I've heard of some artists getting north of 30% of their annual billings.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 27, 2010 at 1:34:06 pm

Moody, are you saying the editors in your example are not on salary, just commissions? Or is that 30% of billings on top of some base pay?

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Sep 27, 2010 at 4:14:59 pm

The artists I've heard about that are in that range I think on just commissions, but since I don't know them personally, I can't say for sure if that is on top of a base salary.
But, I have friends who own post houses and it seems like salaried positions pay less then positions that have a commission attached to it. For example, an salaried editor at a company will top out at 25% of their yearly billings.

The truth is, there are so many variables, and each situation is unique, that it is hard to give a number that would apply to everyone.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

Nick Hasson
on Sep 29, 2010 at 2:29:46 pm

In LA for a smoke finisher, you will pay 75-100 an hour for someone good. Most guys out here are now just hourly.

The only guys I know with a commission of there room is a few HIGH end commercial guys and some colorists.

Nick Hasson
Smoke/Color
http://www.niceedits.com

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Sep 29, 2010 at 4:44:48 pm

Like I said, there are so many variables, it really depends on the work. The commercial world in LA is very different then the long format world. My experience is mainly in the commercial world...

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

Meredith Cruse
on Sep 30, 2010 at 12:58:16 am

Thanks for the response Moody. The post house does mostly corporate with some commercials. No long form. Hope that helps as I'm still looking for salary info.

Thanks!
Meredith

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Sep 30, 2010 at 2:54:17 pm

FWIW: A few years ago I got offered $70k to work at a Seattle area ad agency. The job was editing local and regional broadcast TV ads, including motion graphics. Four weeks of paid vacation and health benefits. I turned it down. Had they offered me $80k, I may have taken it.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]