BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

new production manager looking for resources

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tucker Lucasnew production manager looking for resources
by on Sep 22, 2010 at 8:32:51 pm

I recently ascended to Production Manager at my work (multimedia - primarily video for tv broadcast). Funny thing is, in a way, this position didn't really exist here before. The company had kind of skated along on little to no structure in our pre and post production. I aim to change that.

Does anyone have any suggestions for online resources for Production Managers? Any articles, websites, apps, etc. that you find helpful?

Return to posts index

Ronald LindeboomRe: new production manager looking for resources
by on Sep 22, 2010 at 8:39:55 pm

The new issue of Creative COW Magazine, our Divergence Issue, is filled with many things that you should be aware of in your new position.

I told Tim Wilson that I believe it may be one of the very best magazines we've ever released.

You will find it here...

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: new production manager looking for resources
by on Sep 22, 2010 at 10:31:45 pm

From one Production Manager to another - congratulations.

Unfortunately, the job usually does not come with an instruction manual.

The only manual is the manual process of figuring it out for yourself. You have a great opportunity to over time develop processes, organizational structure and some logical way to tie it all together yet do so in a way that defeats pushback and keeps your crew engaged.

This can be a challenge.

Read a lot, and read things from managers in other industries. "Winning" by Jack and Suzy Welch is a book I wish I had when I first started in a managerial role. I like Welch for his business savvy but also for the fact that he got his start at GE in my hometown of Pittsfield, MA.

Some of the best resources for someone in this role is the experiences of others in similar and dissimilar roles.

To save the COW readers an extremely long post, you've got me thinking I might write an article about this subject.

In the meantime, read the magazine as Ron has suggested. Also look at Walter Biscardi's articles about starting a business - while you are not the business owner, having an owner's mentality is a good way to get things done.

Best of luck. Feel free to ask some specific questions once you dive in the deep end - we are here to help.

Mike Cohen

Medical Education / Multimedia Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved