BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Perception and exactly what is wrong in our industry

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Grote, Jr.Perception and exactly what is wrong in our industry
by on Sep 13, 2010 at 11:26:40 am

This posting to me sums up a lot of what is wrong with the outside worlds perception of what we do. I am so tired and frustrated (knowing that I can't change this, but none the less). Also, the buzz words that these employment bots use to screen for potential candidates. UGH!!! And for those people that have gotten a degree, I applaud you, but I have been doing this for over 23 years now, and I don't need a damn degree to do what I do. I have the experience and scars to prove it.

Why do people and companies think we know how to operate every single piece of equipment and also be proficient in operation said equipment. Below is one of those wonderful postings. I'm damn good a couple of things, but give me a break

ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES

Edit training lessons using Final Cut Studio version 7
Deliver final output on DVD using DVD Studio Pro
Operate DVD duplication and labeling equipment
Edit training lessons using Microsoft Producer, Articulate Presenter, and Adobe Captivate toolsets.
Create simulations and multiple outcome training modules using Adobe Captivate.
Develops complex branching and remediation applications using Adobe Captivate.
Integrates video, audio, slides and Captivate content into a lesson with Articulate Presenter.
Creating video animations for use in opens, promos, IDs etc. using Final Cut Pro, After Effects, Live Type, or Motion
Edit screen captures using Camtasia v.6
Support other IVT staff members with daily operation of broadcast studios
Ability to work with high level executives such as the Commissioner of SSA, Deputy and Associate Commissioners

REQUIRED SKILLS AND EDUCATION
2+ years video editing experience using Final Cut Studio.
Specific work experience with Microsoft Producer, Articulate Presenter and Adobe Captivate toolsets.
Demonstrated experience in live-to-tape studio production a plus
Associates Degree in related field is preferred.
Excellent communication skills and ability to work within a diverse team.
Criminal background check required

Cheers,

John

J. Grote, Jr.

Return to posts index

Steve KownackiRe: Perception and exactly what is wrong in our industry
by on Sep 13, 2010 at 12:23:22 pm

[John Grote, Jr.] "Why do people and companies think we know how to operate every single piece of equipment and also be proficient in operation said equipment. "

This was covered a bit in the thread below. http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/17/871614 Answer is 'cause you have to.

They may have had a guy in there that touched some of that stuff and the person writing the job description is looking for the closest replacement. I wouldn't get upset with it but simply ask to see some of the work and make a call how good the work really is - with any of the applications. I don't permit people to use the word proficient because no one is. I can't tell you how many PPT presentations I fix because they can't - gad do I hate PPT. It all comes down to willingness to learn and logical thinking with most of that stuff.

Be great at a few things but try to master the other 642.

Steve

Return to posts index

Neil HurwitzRe: Perception and exactly what is wrong in our industry
by on Sep 13, 2010 at 1:09:14 pm

I think that to some extent
We have brought this upon ourselves
And certainly the equipment manufactures have goosed
this along. All the advertising for cheap equipment
has cheapened the perceived value of what we do.
The carpet bombing of adds for a 999.00 edit system
along with the "edit on the beach" pictures
Have taken there toll.

Neil Hurwitz

Return to posts index

eric pautschRe: Perception and exactly what is wrong in our industry
by on Sep 14, 2010 at 2:01:31 am

While I agree there are several companies or producers who ask too much in the way of skills for a new hire, I dont think this ones out of line. I imagine %95 of the seasoned editors on the Cow would be able to do this gig easily. Looks like its just editing, DVD Authoring, screen captures and PowerPoint Production.

Return to posts index

Rick TurnersRe: Perception and exactly what is wrong in our industry
by on Sep 14, 2010 at 5:20:43 am

Whenever I see a company that wants someone to use LiveType for anything, I get up and kindly walk away.

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: Perception and exactly what is wrong in our industry
by on Sep 15, 2010 at 1:53:40 pm

[eric pautsch] "I imagine %95 of the seasoned editors on the Cow would be able to do this gig easily"

I agree! I was also struck by the fact that they're only looking for an associate's degree - that's a 2-year degree at any community college. Not even an expensive trade school.

The only "adjacent" software besides Camtasia et al that isn't a core part of Final Cut Studio, the Adobe Production Suite, Sony Vegas, Avid Media Composer, etc. is Adobe Captivate, a drag and drop tool for creating Flash-based ePresentations. In other words, PowerPoint made of Flash.

Frankly, it's a great tool for creating animations that explain things in your video. A lot easier than learning Illustrator and After Effects.

You have the editing/DVD software. You can use the free PPT equivalent in Open Office to learn - intentionally similar to to the MSFT Office original. There's plenty of free or inexpensive screen capture software that isn't Camtasia...although that one's best. Captivate has a free 30-day trial that, along with a tutorial or two, will be enough to get started.

Here's the thing. You don't need 100% knowledge of all of this at once. Show some skills in areas that are critical to the position. Show that you're a fast study. As Bob Zelin has shown again and again, you CAN learn on the job. You HAVE to learn on the job.

Not to pick on John, who started this thread, or anyone else who is disturbed by the job posting, the days of Final Cut and After Effects being enough to land a job are way, way over. Not that those are easy programs to master - but after that, all of this other stuff is walk in the park.

[Rick Turners] "Whenever I see a company that wants someone to use LiveType for anything, I get up and kindly walk away."

I would consider this an opportunity to blow them away with your superior skills and industry knowledge.

Part of every employee's job is to manage their boss's expectations, and to teach them things that they don't know. There's actually a name for this in business circles, "managing up." There's absolutely no way you can survive long term if you can't do this, regardless of your field.

The concept of "managing up" is based in the reality that, as the new guy, your knowledge is fresher. In this field, it also means that it's your actual job to teach bosses about the right tool for the job. You're the one doing the job, something that the boss may never have done, or may not have done for years.

This too is well-understood in business circles. Bosses actually LOOK for this in employees, because you can help your boss look good in front of HIS boss - and every boss likes looking good.

If you only consider working for knowledgeable bosses/clients, get out of this industry now. You are doomed. If you're working for such a person now, pray that you keep that job forever.

All kidding aside, it comes back to the same thing we speak about again and again here - if all you have are production skills, forget it. You'll be stuck with monkey work forever, if you're even lucky enough to get that. Among many other things, you NEED management skills, if for nothing else, to manage up.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Perception and exactly what is wrong in our industry
by on Sep 16, 2010 at 6:14:11 pm

[Tim Wilson] "...the days of Final Cut and After Effects being enough to land a job are way, way over... All kidding aside, it comes back to the same thing we speak about again and again here - if all you have are production skills, forget it. You'll be stuck with monkey work forever, if you're even lucky enough to get that. Among many other things, you NEED management skills, if for nothing else, to manage up."

Tim, I couldn't agree more. I think this goes to the heart of the issue -- just knowing which buttons to press is not a differentiator anymore.

[Tim Wilson] "The only "adjacent" software besides Camtasia et al that isn't a core part of Final Cut Studio, the Adobe Production Suite, Sony Vegas, Avid Media Composer, etc. is Adobe Captivate, a drag and drop tool for creating Flash-based ePresentations. In other words, PowerPoint made of Flash. Frankly, it's a great tool for creating animations that explain things in your video. A lot easier than learning Illustrator and After Effects."

I've never used Captivate myself, but I was under the impression that there's more it to it than that: simulating custom apps, testing the user interactively, integrating the modules back into e-learning system content management systems, etc. E-learning is a whole discipline in itself.

One of the problems in our industry is that we equate knowledge of the tool with knowledge of the craft. Knowing FCP won't make you a great editor, and knowing Captivate won't make you a great trainer.

To get back to the original subject line -- perception and exactly what is wrong with our industry -- I think that perception is what's wrong with our industry. There's a huge subset of industry professionals who are actively creating the misperception that our tools do the work.

We need to frame our work in terms of the skills we have and the value we add, not the tools we use to do it. See Mark Suszko's What do they call you? thread above for some examples of how people are working to fix the misperception, explaining in their titles how they add value.

If you wanted to move from cook to chef, you would never pitch your proficiency with ovens to a restauranteur!

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Perception and exactly what is wrong in our industry
by on Sep 16, 2010 at 6:44:35 pm

[Walter Soyka] "We need to frame our work in terms of the skills we have and the value we add, not the tools we use to do it."

This is exactly right. Pay attention those of you studying for your future career.

Obviously if you want to work in effects or a specific job like Flame artist or whatever, the tool is the thing, but that is not what we are talking about here.

In more generalized jobs, definitely know how to do a lot of different things. But your clients want a final product.

My clients want a video, a DVD, a CD-ROM and website. They almost never ask what software we use - they don't care - they want to know how much it will cost and when they can get it. We sell services based upon our expertise and our process, not our tools.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

ron sussmanRe: Perception and exactly what is wrong in our industry
by on Sep 17, 2010 at 3:02:21 am

yes we have brought this upon ourselves only to the extent that we willingly lower our rates and devalue what we do. Cheaper tools do not mean cheaper talent. A D.P. wouldn't be asked to lower his day rate because the producer has chosen to shoot on a DSLR.Value yourself high and you will get higher work.

Return to posts index

ron sussmanRe: Perception and exactly what is wrong in our industry
by on Sep 17, 2010 at 3:02:39 am

yes we have brought this upon ourselves only to the extent that we willingly lower our rates and devalue what we do. Cheaper tools do not mean cheaper talent. A D.P. wouldn't be asked to lower his day rate because the producer has chosen to shoot on a DSLR

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: Perception and exactly what is wrong in our industry
by on Sep 17, 2010 at 1:20:22 am

I'm not sure what the problem is. Every industry posts job ads like this. This is posted by an HR person or a business manager. This means they are not an expert in this field, you are. They are just posting what tools they know they have.

Good hiring managers (the ones you want to work for) hire based on personality first, talent second. However many of them don't have the ability to accurately judge talent so they default to a technical description of the tools they have in house and hope that by being "proficient in them" you will meet their needs.

Don't get upset or blame them. Instead understand where they are coming from and figure out a way to express how your experience will more than adequately meet their needs (but not be over qualified).

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video
http://www.CorporateVideoSD.com

Return to posts index

Eric HarndenRe: Perception and exactly what is wrong in our industry
by on Sep 17, 2010 at 3:02:23 am

I agree with Cory. Those are the duties and responsibilities and it doesn't say that they expect you to walk in the door knowing all of these things. These are the things you will learn to do and it sounds like a great opportunity to develop some well rounded skills.

I didn't know 1/100 of the things I do at my current (day) job when I was hired but I demonstrated that I had the ability to learn and do the things that would be demanded of me in fast manner, through my past work history and great academic record. I also was able to communicate that fact in an interview in a very confident manner.

John, you didn't include how they expected you to reply for this position, but if it was by returning a resume, one could add those "key words" and add "could very easily learn to do" in front of them.

Producer, Digital Editor and Industry Blogger
Quintessential Studios
http://wordpress.quintessentialstudios.net
http://twitter.com/quintessential

Founder
Independent Filmmakers of the Inland Empire
An Official Adobe User Group and Peachpit Partner
http://IFotIE.com
http://twitter.com/IFotIE
http://inlandindiefilm.groups.adobe.com/

Return to posts index

Rafael AmadorRe: Perception and exactly what is wrong in our industry
by on Sep 17, 2010 at 5:13:47 am

A tragic side of this, is that they do not require any knowledge about VIDEO.
And the problem of the today digital editor is that has no idea about what VIDEO is.
Levels, components, interlacing, pixels aspect..all these little annoyances that can make miserable the life of "The King the NLEs&VFxs".
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]