BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothy Earlyresumes
by on Sep 10, 2010 at 4:38:12 pm

Been working at the same job for 10 years as a media producer. as i look to update my resume i wonder, since there is a large amount of time since my last job as a live event video technician should i focus my resume on the many projects i worked on and developed in the last 10 years for the same company? Listing other employers has become a challenge too... they are either gone or bought out! I can't even locate where anyone i knew ended up!

Any suggestions from you business owners/operators would be great!

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: resumes
by on Sep 10, 2010 at 5:05:08 pm

As an employer, I want to know what a potential employee can do for me.
Listing software and skills is ok, but list some of your accomplishments, as they relate to what you can do for an employer.

Consider the following:

Software Proficiency:
After Effects, Final Cut Studio, Color, Maya, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Video Toaster, Atari 2600

Equipment Used:
VX2000, V1U, Sony 9000, Grass Valley 300, Kaleidoscope, Chyron Infinit, Arri Alexa, Hitachi Z1C

Job 1
Video Duplication Clerk
- Made VHS tapes
- Shipped UPS packages

Job 2
Production Assistant
- Logged tapes
- Swept floors
- Emptied trash
- Learned to edit

Examples of Knowledge and Skills Application

- Technical director for live to tape concert series, switching between 5 cameras plus still store and supers.
- Director of photography using Arri Alexa on music video for local bands. Shot both day and night exteriors, handheld, dolly and steadicam shots.
- Edited successful series of training videos for a Fortune 100 company using Final Cut Studio. Color grading and DVD blu-ray authoring done in Adobe Encore.

Job 1 - Duplication Clerk
- Filled customer requests within 24 hours of ordering - including DVD and VHS copies. Organized video library using relational database.

Job 2 - Production Assistant
- Logged raw footage BetaSP tapes in preparation for editing session. Created B-reels prior to online finishing.
- Ensure backups of Final Cut project files and media were performed nightly in order to keep editorial staff up and running and ready for client edit sessions.

See where I am going with this? Don't focus on what software and hardware you know - unless those are specific requirements for a job - focus on on telling them what you have done, and use examples that show you are a valuable team member who does excellent work. That's what I would want to know about you.

Don't hesitate to customize your resume for the specific job to which you are applying. Be honest about your experience, but recognize that not all of your experience is applicable to the job to which you are applying.

Good luck.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Timothy EarlyRe: resumes
by on Sep 10, 2010 at 6:14:45 pm

Hey Mike, great info thanks!

I guess I worry that my list of former employers, previous to this current position, is a positive as it relates to project experiences... but since they all are out of business or bought out the verification of my employment seems impossible or at least difficult to accomplish from an HR office.

How do you weight things like this in hiring both freelance and/or permanent?

Return to posts index

Timothy J. AllenRe: resumes
by on Sep 10, 2010 at 9:04:45 pm

I don't see a problem with listing satisfied clients as references. If I'm hiring, I like to know a little about the type of clients since that gives me an idea of the level of production. (National/Regional/Local and Broadcast vs. Non-broadcast) Of course, this usually comes out in the interview.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 10, 2010 at 9:15:50 pm

The current job is for a local city... so really what I have is a long list of projects for one client... the local and regional citizens.

You can see the challenge...

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: resumes
by on Sep 10, 2010 at 9:55:46 pm

Always with you what cannot be done... :)

Put your best foot forward no matter what type of shoes you have been wearing...

In other words, have confidence in your abilities. If you are felling trapped in your current position, always doing the same work for the same people, accentuate the positive.

If you want to send along your resume, I would be happy to take a look. video editing mike @ gmail (no spaces obviously)

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: resumes
by on Sep 11, 2010 at 1:53:16 am

The second example Mike Cohen showed you was like what we call a "Functional Resume". Rather than a linear chronology, a functional resume groups like skills together as well as shows how those skills were applied in little 1 and 2-line micro success-stories. Functional resumes tend to conceal gaps in employment history without denying them outright. Also, a linear narrative by nature probably puts your best stuff towards the end of the list, we may not care what your first entry-level job was if you've been working 20 years; the functional resume lets you hit them with your best shots all down the line.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 13, 2010 at 8:07:53 pm

great info from everybody feeling way more positive about how to approach... Mike i will take you up on your offer to critique resume... just away from home right now, back in a day!

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: resumes
by on Sep 17, 2010 at 1:45:23 am

Mike's advice is great. Especially:
As an employer, I want to know what a potential employee can do for me.

If you can, document the exact financial benefit you provided the company. I used to work and consult in IT, so I have had things like this on my resume:

Saved company $2500/mo in telecommunication costs.

In video perhaps you can say something along the lines of these (whatever you can document and reasonably explain). And if you haven't been keeping track of this stuff, now is the time to start:

Produced commercials for $1M national advertising campaign
Produced web video which doubled online conversion rate upon implementation
Reduced video production expenses by 25% through effective management

This not only makes the hiring manager think, "wow maybe you can do that for me", it also sets the appropriate scale of your ability.

Personally I would exclude most software and hardware experience from a project manager/producer position. That is only relevant for a technical position.

Finally, forget your fears. Experience is experience. If it's all for one client under your own business or 5 different jobs, it doesn't matter. It DOES matter how you present it. There is a way to honestly present your experience so it is attractive to hiring managers. If the companies have gone out of business, NBD. Provide more than ample awesome references of clients and active businesses.

Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: resumes
by on Sep 11, 2010 at 2:51:22 pm

List em anyway. A wide variety of experience makes you marketable and clinging to just one place will make you look otherwise. Everyone in the industry is use to places coming and going. It's what you did for them (and therefor what you can do for the company holding your resume) that they care about.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved