BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Time/Job Tracking App for medium size studio?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon KuchtaTime/Job Tracking App for medium size studio?
by on Aug 17, 2010 at 11:24:06 pm

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a time and job tracking app for a 20+ person creative and post production studio.

Something that would track time (for time sheets), costs, and handle a job schedule would be ideal. Could be online, or a real app. If a real app, OS X is preferable.

We've been looking at various online services but something more full featured or customizable would be nice.

What are other people using?

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Nick HassonRe: Time/Job Tracking App for medium size studio?
by on Aug 18, 2010 at 4:28:18 am

try this. I used it to manage everything.

Nick Hasson

Return to posts index

Kris MerkelRe: Time/Job Tracking App for medium size studio?
by on Aug 18, 2010 at 1:03:39 pm

We use Harvest to track everything but scheduling. For that we use Google calendar.

It is somewhat simple but allows widget and phone integration.

Return to posts index

Brandon KuchtaRe: Time/Job Tracking App for medium size studio?
by on Aug 20, 2010 at 12:22:06 am

Harvest is one of the options we're currently evaluating, but it feels like it was built for very simple organizations.

For example, in order to create a job you have to be an admin, which means you get to see how much everyone makes.

Also, only project managers can approve time sheets, and even then only time sheets for the jobs they're assigned to — there's no "Manager" type role who can just make sure artists are putting the right amount of time against the right jobs.

So it'd be nice to find an app that was a little more robust, but would also handle scheduling. I understand it's a tricky balance because you certainly don't want an app to have too many features you don't use.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Time/Job Tracking App for medium size studio?
by on Aug 20, 2010 at 12:27:09 am

Sorry, forgot to add the quotes, I was addressing this question to Nick about the Studio Suite.

Can you have workers enter time and other information without seeing all the budgeting / rate information?

And can this tie directly into billing or invoicing?

I've had a really nice job tracking database designed by someone I found on the Cow, but we're looking to move to a new system because our job count is going crazy.

Ideally I'm looking for a system to flag the administrator that a job is completed and ready for invoicing. Then I send that information on to Quickbooks Pro for the actual invoicing OR I can send a PDF back to the President of the company (i.e. the wife) who generates the invoice in Quickbooks Pro.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved