BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Sitting around waiting

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike CohenSitting around waiting
by on Aug 9, 2010 at 6:04:10 pm

As I write this I am sitting at my local airport waiting for a delayed flight. In production in general we do a lot of waiting. If taking a long flight and/or a multi-day trip, I take my laptop. For one-nighters, a good book will suffice. But what about waiting between interviews or setups, or the hurry up and wait of an early call? I generally do not take a book to read on shoots, but if you are by yourself with no one to talk to, you have to keep busy (smart phone).

So a survey - what do you do to pass the time, aside from reading COW content of course!

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Sitting around waiting
by on Aug 9, 2010 at 6:39:06 pm

Today I stood in line at the court house to pay a traffic ticket. I answered emails (business and forum related), and then played ANGRY BIRDS on my iphone.

Airport...I bring a laptop and write. Blog...podcast. Listen to a book on tape or read.

Interview...review my questions and check down my answers...think about B-roll I might need. Perhaps fantasize about lunch, or dinner...or drinks. Mainly plan the getting drunk part.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Sitting around waiting
by on Aug 9, 2010 at 8:43:32 pm

ipod if possible. I have podcasts, movies, videos, and a couple days' worth of songs I like, so here's always something on there to keep me entertained. In my grip bag I carry a pocket sized copy of George Bernard Shaw's "Man and Superman". The first half is incredibly dense, but the last half has some rewarding nits in it. I have a large bookshelf of classics in paperback form, and they fit in a camera bag quite well.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Sitting around waiting
by on Aug 9, 2010 at 9:28:57 pm

Ever since April when I bought it (on Day One, mind you) I've taken my iPad EVERYWHERE that there's a chance of waiting. So I have books, newspapers, music, movies / TV shows (not to mention portfolio work), many apps and MORE everywhere I go. Carrying a book or even a newspaper sends the message that you are bored. (IMHO.)

Return to posts index

by on Aug 9, 2010 at 11:03:48 pm

"Carrying a book or even a newspaper sends the message that you are bored. (IMHO.)"

Or... it could mean, I'm in locations and in environments where I might have to walk away from my bag of stuff instantly to go chase a story down a hallway, and I don't have the time or money to let an ipad get stolen nor to carry it around while I'm shooting off the shoulder and holding my own stick mic. It could mean I'm frugal, it could mean I'm intellectually curious, depending on the book. It could mean I go to places without wifi and g4 phone access. It could mean I want to read in the tub or pool at the hotel after a long day. It could mean I have to spend hours sometimes waiting in a senate chamber where electronic devices are prohibited. it could mean I go to places without easy access to power. It could mean I like to stash my entertainment stuff in very small spaces so as not to be ostentatious. It could mean a lot of things. Hell, carrying a newspaper these days means you are an elite minority, and not a bad kind.

Don't dismiss folks who are not early adopters of every new toy. We use what's appropriate for the situations we live in, and that's not the same for every person.

Cordially yours, me.

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Sitting around waiting
by on Aug 9, 2010 at 11:16:03 pm

I have a scortching case of ADD so boredom just aint an issue for me. I'm use to not paying attention. Down time just lets me do it without making anybody mad.

Return to posts index

Steve WargoRe: Sitting around waiting
by on Aug 10, 2010 at 12:51:20 am

I count my money. And for the second minute, I find something else to count.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

Bill DavisRe: Sitting around waiting
by on Aug 10, 2010 at 6:17:53 am

Warning: Odd and possibly uninteresting story ahead.

Once upon a time a LONG time ago I was in college.

I had a 7:40 class that got out at 8:20 - and then a 9:40 class. So every day I'd go to the cafeteria and get a coffee and something to nibble and read the paper.

On day I found myself entering the cafeteria with not a penny to my name and no paper anywhere to keep my hands busy.

At first, I was a bit confused. I didn't have ANYTHING to do. And for some reason, I thought to myself "why can't I simply sit here for the allotted time and be content? Why must I ALWAYS be doing something. So I decided to simply see if I could SIT and contemplate life inside my head for the allottted time.

IT WAS ASTONISHINGLY DIFFICULT. For most of us raised on constant stimulation and/or interaction with others, with media, with tasks and deadlines and the GUILT that attends the appearance of not accomplishing anything with ones time - well, it was a HUGE eye opener.

And I vowed to do it again and again until I could be comfortable with just being by myself and not having to do something to justify my existence in THIS time and in THIS place with nothing obvious to do.

It became something of a very minor ZEN exercise for me. But after a few weeks (3 days a week class schedule is all) I TAUGHT myself to be comfortable when I had to simply sit quietly and do nothing for an hour.

I can't tell you how many times since then that I've found myself stuck behind a delayed flight - or waiting for someone or something LATE that I had little or no control over that I've had to dust off and use that SKILL over and over again in my life.

I suppose it's what people in the old days called PATIENCE.

Whatever you call it, It IS a useful life skill.

Try it some time.

Plop down in a chair and see if you can entertain yourself in your own head for an hour without the NEED for outside stimulation.

I suspect it will likely be MUCH harder than you think.

And useful for the rest of your life.

YMMV.

Return to posts index

Rob GrauertRe: Sitting around waiting
by on Aug 10, 2010 at 12:42:13 pm

"Plop down in a chair and see if you can entertain yourself in your own head for an hour without the NEED for outside stimulation."

Man, I've been doin that since 1987.

You're right about it though

Rob Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Mick HaenslerRe: Sitting around waiting
by on Aug 10, 2010 at 1:42:00 pm

[Bill Davis] " suppose it's what people in the old days called PATIENCE. "

This is why I took up wildlife photography and sailing. Both require me to sit for long periods just being. The usual conversation at the beginning of a sail goes something like this:

ME: "Where ya wanna go today?"

WIFE: "No where"

ME: "Any particular time you wanna get there?"

WIFE: "Now here"

ME: "Groovee...fancy a cold one love?"

Phones are off, no laptop, no radio, no music, just....water....sky....

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Sitting around waiting
by on Aug 10, 2010 at 4:41:09 pm

[Mick Haensler] "This is why I took up wildlife photography and sailing."

Sailing...hmmm.

Mick, I have a 30' Swedish Shipman28 with your name all over it. She needs a new home!

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mick HaenslerRe: Sitting around waiting
by on Aug 10, 2010 at 5:02:51 pm

[Todd Terry] "Sailing...hmmm.

Mick, I have a 30' Swedish Shipman28 with your name all over it. She needs a new home!"

Shipman!! Didn't know there were any left in the states. Lots of 'em in the UK. What year is she and why aren't you sailing her?? Would love to have her but I just stepped up to a '78 C27 this year. She's rigged for racing and sails like a dream. Now if only this oppressive heat and humidity would let up I might get her out before 6pm. It's been way too hot for sailing during the day lately so we've been perfecting our night navigation skills. September is coming though!!

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Sitting around waiting
by on Aug 10, 2010 at 5:19:48 pm

Yep Mick... the Shipmans are pretty rare in the states indeed. Quite a few in Europe, but I've never seen another one here. Mine is a '73.

Why aren't I sailing her? No time, man. I'm one of those guys I used to shake my head at... the guys whose boats never leave the marina. I'm embarrassed to say I haven't had her out in about four years. Sad sad sad. With slip rental now due (again), she's become the proverbial "hole in the water you pour money into." Needs a new home badly.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

by on Aug 10, 2010 at 5:58:13 pm

When I'm bored and without distractions, or if I just want to lower my blood pressure and zone out, I build airplanes and boats in my head. I like to think about these two boats that I own:

That one is called "Fast Forward", with the little VCR FF symbol as part of the logo. It's a 1977 Barnett Butterfly scow, only 12 foot long but huge fun, and car-toppable, like a Sunfish on Steroids. I got her for a song from someone who'd stored it 5 years without using it. Paid for it with overtime money from an Obama gig, so it almost got christened: "Stimulus Package".

The second boat is a one-meter Kyosho Fairwind, radio-controlled. I've built it up from scrap parts over the years and sailed it for about 20 years in the park pond. This one is not mine, but gives a sense of how she looks, she stands about 5 feet height from keel to mast crane:

Nothing more relaxing than tooling these babies around, the big one or the little one. Unless it is thinking about them, working out modifications and whatnot. I have like a million hobbies because I'm a little like Grinner, and I flit between them as it suits me.

Return to posts index

Gav BottRe: Sitting around waiting
by on Aug 12, 2010 at 11:51:23 pm

Living in Oz but starting off in the UK - there are many long hauls flights to wait to arrive, depart etc.

I was taught a good long haul trick by an old friend who has many years in the saddle on high end business stuff

"Used to be I’d relax by getting a good wide business class seat. Now I sit in my economy seat, with a drink, counting down the exact amount of savings I'm making by not sitting in business or 1st class.........I like to calc it by hour, by day, by minute.....Turns out I can't earn it as fast as I save it by making this choice. How the hours just fly by......."

Gav

The Brit in Brisbane
The Pomme in Production - Brisbane Australia.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]