BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Coordinator/Consulting Pricing

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason MechelkeCoordinator/Consulting Pricing
by on Jul 27, 2010 at 8:24:16 pm

I was recently contacted by a company to take a look at an hour long show they produce and give them some feedback. So I took a look, made some notes and made a few suggestion. Now they would like to bring me aboard as a production coordinator/consultant to help in the post production process. They have an editor that they want to keep, the company knows that this person is in a little inexperienced but they want him to stay the editor. After speaking with the company about what they are expecting from my role, they've told me that they would like me to work with the editor to teach the system their working on, streamline the production process, and then oversee each show to make sure it stays consistent and free from errors. After watching a few of their previous shows, I think that this is going to be big task until a better format is figured out and the editor is up to speed on what needs to be done on a weekly basis.

My question to the Cow is, how do I charge them for my services? Do I stick with an hourly rate or do I go with a cost per episode? If I charge per episode, what are some ballpark pricing for overseeing the post production process? I honestly think this is going to be more work than just sitting with an editor, I think there will be some post production work (Photoshop work as well as some Avid Editing) done by me as well, depending on how fast a learner the editor is. So I want to make sure that my fee reflects the work I'm going to be doing. I have a full time job already so this would be done as freelance work for me.

Any information or things I should look out for or be asking about would be greatly appreciated.

Jason Mechelke
Midnight Sun Productions - Marathon WI

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Coordinator/Consulting Pricing
by on Jul 27, 2010 at 8:54:12 pm

Day rate it, baby. The time you spend will slowly taper off as the editor gets better. This is goign to be a finite gig, it appears. You couls also do what some lawyers do, and get them to put you on a retainer, where you're pretty much always at their beck and acall, but getting paid even when you're not.... then only bill for any overtime. This may be attractive because working for them at all hours makes you unavailable for other gigs. That's opportunity cost you are passing on to them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved