BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

production company vs freelancer

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
grinner hester
production company vs freelancer
on Jul 24, 2010 at 7:31:53 pm

Many of us are one man bands.
Sometimes I find myself freelancing, not working as a production company. By that, production companies are always threatened by feeding competitors so I changed the whole vibe of my site to vary away from looking like a production company and more like a dude with a camera and an edit suite. I added work samples to give companies I bid on projects with peace of mind and kept a vimeo link to original programming so I can still pitch shows to networks. This balance is hard to find sometimes but I was feeling a bit of a handicap advertising as a facility. I think I've found the best in between...
http://www.grinnerhester.com

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: production company vs freelancer
on Jul 24, 2010 at 8:33:54 pm

Along those lines, Grinner... Like you, I work as both a production company and freelancer. (btw, your website does seem to negotiate that fine line quite well.)

I know the mantra for freelancers: if a producer has hired you to work for a client, you need to work through that producer, never directly for the client.

But... what happens when a producer has clearly lost the account? Is there a grace period after which I can approach the client directly?

I had been working extensively for a local company, through a producer who subsequently moved out of the area. He tried to retain the client, but distance and distraction seem to have made him much less focussed on the account, and the client is, I suspect, gone forever. I'd like to go after the business. How long do I have to wait? Forever? A year? Three? I think I should discuss this with the producer, and I think that after a couple years, I'd feel comfortable doing that.

Bob C

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 24, 2010 at 8:40:49 pm

If you are comfortable that the account is gone, then you might just want to approach the end client yourself. Working long distance, especially if it involves production can be tough if not done correctly. Here is one suggestion. Talk to the client and see if there is anything you can bid on. If there is, you could always offer to give that Producer some of the work, like Writing. So you become the lead and feed work to the original producer.

I guess the question I have for you is what will you do if you make that phone call to the Producer and they say, no do not talk to the end client?

Grinner, nice job!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Jul 25, 2010 at 3:09:23 pm

Bob-
Think back to college days when the really hot girl and one of your friends broke up. Could you call her, and if so, how long until it was cool to call? Or should you show some level of loyalty to your friend and not hit on his ex at all? Or did it depend on whether he was just a friend/friend rather than a best friend? Your situation seems kind of similar to me.

Will you be getting any more work out of this long distance producer? If he's lost the business how will he even know if you're hitting on his ex? While I like the idea of throwing the producer some writing, my bet would be on that NOT working out in the long run. After all, in his mind your still the minion he brought on board and now you're throwing him crumbs.

A third approach would be to offer this client up as a blind lead to another producer with whom you have a relationship. Seems like only by not calling at all do you avoid a very gray area, IMHO.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Jul 28, 2010 at 6:42:35 pm

That's the same as dating a friend's ex. There is no grace period. It's a no no forever.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jul 28, 2010 at 8:13:46 pm

[grinner hester] "That's the same as dating a friend's ex. There is no grace period. It's a no no forever."

Reminds me of "the roommate switch." Often been contemplated, rarely been tried, never (to my knowledge) met with success. But people continue to dream.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 28, 2010 at 8:18:32 pm

That depends on your definition of success.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 24, 2010 at 9:14:33 pm

That's probably the best way to handle it. You could make two websites and two sets of biz cards, based on the type of client you're trying to woo. Bigger clients might prefer the facility vibe for larger budgets, in which case you would be prepared to wow them as well.

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Jul 25, 2010 at 1:59:26 pm

Same problem here only mine is more compounded in that I also do photography and sound production as well as live event production and lighting. Coming up shortly I will have two websites, one for the production company and one for me myself and I that will be more or less a melting pot site for my non production oriented creative endeavors. More like an on line CV with work examples and links to web sites for other projects I'm working on.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jul 26, 2010 at 11:25:15 pm

I like the new site, Grinner. One-man-band here too. My site seems to be getting a lot of traffic lately. Unfortunately, it's people looking for jobs! They keep emailing me their dang resumes.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 27, 2010 at 1:14:03 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "They keep emailing me their dang resumes."

When I feel like I'm getting too many resumes, I'll start emailing mine back to those folks. I figure I'm getting a ton of unsolicited resumes, might as well send mine back to them. :-)

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Jul 27, 2010 at 7:56:27 pm

[walter biscardi] "When I feel like I'm getting too many resumes, I'll start emailing mine back to those folks. I figure I'm getting a ton of unsolicited resumes, might as well send mine back to them. :-)"

Sounds like a Seinfeld routine. Think "Pinky Toe Episode"

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]