BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Another way to get into business?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Asselin
Another way to get into business?
on Jul 22, 2010 at 7:18:12 pm

I really don't know what to think about this

http://www.playbackonline.ca/careers/3343/

I know there are concerns about the amount of graduates colleges are turning out but now it seems you can go right from the street to the position of owner.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Another way to get into business?
on Jul 22, 2010 at 8:03:43 pm

Not really much to think about. They're going to train you for 2 months and then "mentor" you for 8 months. BUT doesn't mean you're going to be a successful owner.

Great way for the school to make money as they are probably tapping into some sort of a grant. So they need bodies to take the classes, sign up for the mentoring and then the school makes money. Some of the people who go through this will be successful but just like any other business, the majority won't. You can only turn out so many "owners" in one area at one time.

It's an interesting idea and for the right person this is going to be huge. But you still have to have the talent and equipment to make a successful business.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Jul 22, 2010 at 8:55:55 pm

And experience.
It's bad enough that some kids leave school with a degree thinking that entitles them to a high paying job. To lead some of them on in thinking they can just start a business they know nothing about is the opposite of educating them.
It's cruel.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jul 22, 2010 at 11:23:36 pm

[walter biscardi] "...you still have to have the talent and equipment to make a successful business."

While I understand what Walter means by this and know that he would never wish to imply all it takes is talent and equipment to succeed, I feel obligated (for those that find this thread later on) to add that the missing ingredients are the intangibles of the character and commitment level (read: stick-to-it-iveness) of the person heading the business.

This intangible we covered in-depth in The Power of Artistic Passion issue of Creative COW Magazine.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
CEO, CreativeCOW.net

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Graveyards are full of people the world couldn't do without.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 22, 2010 at 8:52:27 pm

There are a lot of news stories about online colleges that are scams to grab government student loan money. You can google them.

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Jul 23, 2010 at 12:31:02 pm

Interesting that no one has caught something that stood out to me from the get go. "Television" Production Company?? "Television"??? I've done one spot for TV in the last 6 months. Most of my work is for distribution(on line and DVD) or for the web. I checked this place out, they have Full Time studies in everything from automotive repair to baking....

I'm sure if you wanted to study belly button lint full time they would design a course for you and take your money preparing you for a career in the exciting cutting edge field of belly button lint.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Jul 23, 2010 at 8:59:01 pm

A local friend of mine is in a setup that sounds similar to this. The company advertises a certificate/career in audio engineering, the student spends X hours per week in the studio getting training and the remainder is a sort of internship. The company takes the call, coordinates a studio/engineer in their area, and the engineer follows a basic curriculum and evaluates the student. Seems like easy money for my friend paid by the hour but he does get frustrated with the dumb ones. The company is merely a broker to get people trained at local facilities. I have no idea of any accreditation. Interesting business model though.

Steve

Return to posts index

Sal Sainvil
on Jul 23, 2010 at 9:33:56 pm

8 months "mentoring" translate to feeding them a check ever week for two months so they can stop by and say ..yeah that works.. Nah that doesn't work..
Doesn't every community college have TV production as a class in their media department? lol

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]