BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

3-D telenovellas next?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko3-D telenovellas next?
by on Jul 20, 2010 at 1:59:42 am

Harlan Ellison's hysterical book "The Starcrossed" coming ever closer to reality.

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: 3-D telenovellas next?
by on Jul 20, 2010 at 2:38:24 am

Ben Bova's book, a thinly-veiled satire of his and Ellison's experience on Ellison's series of the same name. Easily confused. :-)

You know my opinion by now - as with HD, everything will become 3D that reasonably can be. Not that everything will, any more than everything is HD....but certainly everything that CAN be, will be.

And as with HD, the 3D-ness of a thing will have no bearing on whether it's worth watching, either way.

...but yeah, while I wouldn't say NEXT, 3D telenovelas are coming, count on it. Why wouldn't they?

For what it's worth, even though the vast majority of TV is SD, and probably will be until the day I die, I haven't watched any of it in a couple of years...and I watch a LOT of TV....

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: 3-D telenovellas next?
by on Jul 20, 2010 at 3:23:49 am

"The Starcrossed" is a semi-biographical send-up of a real-life experience Harlan Ellison had while working on a Canadian Sci-Fi TV show called "The Starlost". In the book, it's a far-flung future, where LA skyscrapers are fitted with rocket motors to launch them into an ocean splash-down if a big enough earthquake happens, and they give up trying to fix the smog and just add different scents to it each day. In a rather "Mary Sue" kind of role, the protagonist, a barely concealed version of Ellison IRL, is brought in to produce and write for a new TV show, the flagship show for a new all-3-D network, designed to create a market for the viewers of the brand-new 3-D TV sets. Because you can't sell sets until there's programs to show on them.

The premise of the fictional show is a sci-fi retelling of Romeo and Juliet, only they are on competing merchant space ships. Most all of the book is based on actual situations Ellison had to encounter on the real "Star-LOST" show, including the issue of "Canadian Content"; that a show, to qualify for broadcast and certain funding in Canada, had to contain a certain percentage of Canada-specific material. To meet the requirement, they cast an untrained, Canadian pro hockey player as one of the romantic leads, eh? It goes on like that, would make a heck of a good movie today. Roger Corman could make a version for Sci-Fi network on a small budget, and it would be all the more hilarious for it, especially if it was produced in 3-D itself.

Ellison is selling off a number of things from his collection of books and TV and movie scripts recently; perusing the list, I found one item I wish I could buy from him: his script for the TV show: "The Flying Nun".

I kid you not.
I have GOT to read that.

Harlan is awesome. Cranky and litigious, sure, but awesome neverthelss, and he comes by his crankiness honestly, having been thru the publishing and development "grinder" mill enough times to make a mountain into sand.

I don't doubt 3-D will continue to grow in broadcast. Just wanted to give Ellison props for his prescience, as well as his wit.

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschRe: 3-D telenovellas next?
by on Jul 21, 2010 at 1:37:06 am

How about 3D digital signage? Have some glasses there to view the 3D sign video. Gets people to actually commit to seeing it in 3D by putting on the glasses...after that they have you, probably to the end.

Short, 1-2 minute advertisements, creatively written and using all the tricks of 3D.

Hmmm...probably lots of ideas out there.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved