BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Music licensing - radio station TV commercial

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Doyle
Music licensing - radio station TV commercial
on Jun 30, 2010 at 6:27:21 pm

I know music licensing has been talked about a lot and I've read about it. I've been approached about creating a series of TV commercials for a radio station. Is this something that is covered under their BMI or ASCAP licensing? Is it a sync license issue?

The commercial is going to be used on jumbotrons at a music festival between acts. The idea is for 3 spots. 2 of them featuring on air talents with the logo at the end (not a big deal as I could just find some royalty free music to put in) but the third idea is to highlight some of the music and bands that they play.

Obviously we need permission from the bands for photo uses, but what about the actual music? I know often times bands can't give that type of permission.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Music licensing - radio station TV commercial
on Jun 30, 2010 at 6:38:32 pm

This may not be covered under the station's blanket annual license, in fact I'd almost bet money it isn't covered.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Jun 30, 2010 at 6:55:48 pm

After watching a few more I realized they aren't actually using the music, but the music videos. Are they being used under "fair use" such as a snippet from a movie for a movie review?

Return to posts index

Scott Carnegie
on Jun 30, 2010 at 7:20:46 pm

Having these in a commercial would not be fair use.

A did some tv spots for a radio station a few years ago and they supplied me the videos on DVD's from the distributors. It's up to the radio stattion to get the clearance, ask them to make sure the videos are okay to use.

Here's the spot BTW

http://www.MediaCircus.TV
Media Production Services
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Jun 30, 2010 at 7:32:48 pm

So what kind of clearance do I tell the radio station the need to get?

Return to posts index

Scott Carnegie
on Jun 30, 2010 at 8:05:10 pm

They need permission from the distrubutors, which they probably have if they have the videos from them. It's not the same as needing master and sync licenses becasue your aren't licensing the music for your own project, they are. Just ask them.

Return to posts index

Scott Carnegie
on Jun 30, 2010 at 8:10:57 pm

In the case of the spot that I did that I linked to, the distributors gave the radio the station the videos to use specifically for promotions, so they were clear to use them for tv.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Jun 30, 2010 at 9:27:43 pm

thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]