BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

You knew THIS was coming

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilson
You knew THIS was coming
on Jun 29, 2010 at 9:31:47 pm

A guy sets aside his RED camera, and decides to shoot a commercial using his iPhone 4. You can only see 360 video on the iPhone itself, but connect to a PC and it outputs full 720p.

It's obviously going after something like the Flip than the Canons and Nikons...but pretty interesting for a first try...

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Don't forget to rate your favorite posts!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: You knew THIS was coming
on Jun 29, 2010 at 10:16:45 pm

oi

Bob Zelin

(VH-1.com presents iPhone 4 bands)

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 29, 2010 at 10:46:08 pm

[Bob Zelin] "oi"

I thought it was spelled "oy," as in "oy vey" or "oy gevalt." My Yiddish neighbors in Brooklyn taught me these...and at my very, very firm insistence, a number of things that I'm not able to repeat here. I mean, why learn a foreign language if you can't cuss in it?

In any case, the same intent: woe!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 29, 2010 at 10:24:36 pm

There's a commercial that's been on TV over a month that was shot with another camera or a phone. Can't recall what it is, but it's a women walking through a city and ends up with a reverse shot showing the camera / phone on a tripod in front of her.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jun 29, 2010 at 10:52:32 pm

Seems a little choppy in places, some rolling shutter issues? There's an odd shadow near the top of the frame during the overhead crane shot, too. Reds look super-saturated and the greens look like they could use some work. Could be from YouTube compression, too.

Here's another short film shot on an iPhone 4:

Maybe that'll take the heat off of DSLRs for a little bit. Before the DSLR craze, people were already making camera rigs for phones. I like the idea of remote shooting with both cameras and doing a preliminary rough edit on the iPhone.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 29, 2010 at 11:17:52 pm

[Jonathan Ziegler] "There's an odd shadow near the top of the frame during the overhead crane shot, too."

They mention a crane, but they also mention an RC helicopter. My guess is that the shadows are the blades of the copter.

And seriously man, an RC helicopter, and the shot looks (relatively) great. Definitely something you can get away with with an iPhone more readily than a RED.

@Stephen, I don't think they are talking about this as an actual substitute for the RED. People are in fact doing that with DSLRs in some conditions, but I'm certainly not suggesting anything like that. I just think it's interesting that, even with the specific issues that you and Jonathan mention, and others as well, it still passes the straight face test.

We might revisit this after iPhone 5. :-)

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 30, 2010 at 12:09:02 am

[Tim Wilson] "We might revisit this after iPhone 5. :-)"

With new, improved antennae that give an electric shock to the user so they don't hold the phone "incorrectly."

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jun 30, 2010 at 12:13:13 am

"I like the idea of remote shooting with both cameras and doing a preliminary rough edit on the iPhone."

Just curious Jonathan... but why would anyone want to do that?

Our rough edits usually evolve into the final edit pretty rapidly (sometimes the first cut is the final, if we get lucky). I can't see the benefit of doing a rough cut of the iPhone footage first (let alone shooting with dual cameras purely so one can generate rough-cuttable footge), only then to start cutting on the "real" footage later.

Sounds like doing the same job twice. Unless I'm missing something, which is certainly possible.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 30, 2010 at 6:01:14 am

I suspect that it won't be long before some of the iPhone storyboard products like Cinemek's Storyboard Composer or even a future iPhone version of iMovie will make it's way to the small handset world.

I can see doing a rough cut in an airplane seat or at the lunch counter without ever having to unfold the laptop or iPad.

Doing "real" editing is not the point. The point is that the platforms and software are already here - we're just discussing slightly expanding the current tools with even more utility.

It's to real editing what a small sketchpad is to fine art. Nothing more or less.

And to the kids coming up for whom editing has ALWAYS been manipulating visuals on a screen - it's just another tool to fiddle with that may or may not help them develop a new process for visualizing work.

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Jun 30, 2010 at 11:14:23 am

Maybe there could be a bluetooth video tap for iPhone so you get proxys on the phone from the 1st cam, then you could rough cut that on the way home and send the edl to the suite for finishing.

Steve

Jump to the FFP Website

View Steve Kownacki's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 30, 2010 at 12:36:15 pm

The project I would like to see is a crowd of iPhone 4 users clustered around a band, creating enough footage to morph between the various cams in "bullet time" style. This effect would be awesome for wedding shoots in scenes like leaving the church, tossing the bouquet, etc.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 30, 2010 at 12:49:53 pm

that WOULD be fun Mark!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jun 30, 2010 at 2:43:23 pm

[Mark Suszko] "This effect would be awesome for wedding shoots in scenes like leaving the church, tossing the bouquet, etc."

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times... what every wedding video needs.... more bullet time!

Haha... that'd probably be the one wedding video I'd ever watch.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Jun 30, 2010 at 3:28:11 pm

OK, I've been shooting for ten years, and "bullet time" is a term I've never heard. What does it mean?

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jun 30, 2010 at 3:33:59 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_time

"Bullet time is a special and visual effect that refers to a digitally-enhanced simulation of variable-speed (i.e. slow motion, time-lapse, etc) photography used in films, broadcast advertisements, and video games. It is characterized both by its extreme transformation of time (slow enough to show normally imperceptible and unfilmable events, such as flying bullets) and space (by way of the ability of the camera angle—the audience's point-of-view—to move around the scene at a normal speed while events are slowed)..."

Jonathan Ziegler
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jun 30, 2010 at 3:25:53 pm

Because it's not always me who's doing the editing. Sometimes I get it all shot and then it gets sent to an editor and I don't see a final until its done. If I have a small rough version I can edit together really quick on the iPhone, I have a version to send to the editor so they already know what the final will look like - over a couple days, I'll forget which shots are which or what I shot. Plus, I can do the edit on the ride home.

Also, it would allow me to have a visual reference so I don't have to wait for video from the editor. Kinda like using video dailies from a film shoot. Hmmm, can we make the iPhone record from a data stream or hook it to some kinda video out? ;) I bet that's do-able.

Jonathan Ziegler
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Jun 30, 2010 at 3:43:09 pm

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jun 30, 2010 at 3:56:53 pm

Boy, that audio enhancement really adds to that scene, Fernando. There is no way that bullet wouldn't rip through concrete and steel.

;o)

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jun 30, 2010 at 3:57:30 pm

EXT DAY - CHURCH

Wedding party exits church. POV shifts to BULLET TIME mode. As well-wishers begin to throw rice, bride ducks and groom leans backward in EXTREME SLO MO as he writhes and contorts to duck the deadly rice pellets. CAMERA whip arcs around frozen-in-time groom as BULLET TIME contiunes, rice pellets approach and whiz past camera as groom remains motionless, save for the blowing and waving of his floor-length leather formalwear in the breeze.

Released DOVES cross the frame, their wings flapping in SLO MO.

HARD CUT to CU of GROOM's face as he enters frame...

GROOM (startled)
                                                     Whoaaaaa!!!

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 30, 2010 at 4:39:04 pm

"There is no limo".

Seriously, though, the "frozen moment" effect of bullet-time is a great way to create a little tableaux of a moment like exiting the church and throwing the bouquet or the first dance. The way I always imagined staging it is to hand disposable cameras to the crowd outside and have them all try to hit the shutter on the same mark. Then scan in all the developed shots and try to match them up.

Return to posts index

Patrick Ortman
on Jul 1, 2010 at 1:32:16 am

That train one sparked my creative juices, thanks for posting!!!

---------------------
http://www.patrickortman.com
Web and Video Design

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 1, 2010 at 3:16:56 am

And in just a couple of days - we have more than a few "short films" done on the new iPhone.

Here's an interesting one that even has "behind the scenes" shots of how they rigged the thing.

Oh, and it was shot in HD 720p and edited on iMovie for the iPhone.

Such is the modern era.

http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/06/29/short-film-shot-and-edited-entir...
Short Film Shot and Edited Entirely on iPhone 4

The times they ARE a changing.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jul 2, 2010 at 4:55:51 pm

How about some video shot with the iPad?

Anyone have a Fischer Price video camera?

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 2, 2010 at 9:39:04 pm

[Mike Cohen] "Anyone have a Fischer Price video camera?"

Actually I used to have one a zillion years ago. Dunno what became of it.

Once out of curiosity I went to see if you could still find them... and there were quite a few on eBay. Fun!

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jul 3, 2010 at 11:13:37 pm

It's like the Super-8 of video! ;)

Jonathan Ziegler
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Bob Bonniol
on Jul 13, 2010 at 7:46:10 pm

I LOVED the Pixel Vision. The cubistic artifacting was SOOO cool... Wish I still had it. Somebody should make a Pixel Vision App for iPhone4... hahahahaha

Greetings to a bunch of players I haven't chatted with in a Looooong time.

Bob Bonniol

MODE Studios
http://www.modestudios.com
Contributing Editor, Live Design Magazine
Art of the Edit Forum Leader
Live & Stage Event Forum Leader
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]