BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

How much to Charge for RAW VIDEO

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Connolly
How much to Charge for RAW VIDEO
on Jun 9, 2010 at 9:15:52 pm

Can someone please help me out on this....a new area for me.

I shot some video, basically interviewing the main actors in a stage production, and the write and producer. I used a local TV personality to do the interview.

Nothing special about it, just average stuff of general interest, talking about their stage prodution, their roles, inspiration etc.

Another production company (who I believe is involved with promoting the production) is wanting to purchase our one hour raw footage to create their own promotion.

They have asked me to give them a price.

I have never done this before so I have no idea what I should ask.

I would greatly apprciate any guidance along with any suggestions on sign off when I do hand it over.

Thanks again....you guys are alwasy so helpful.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: How much to Charge for RAW VIDEO
on Jun 9, 2010 at 9:26:32 pm

Are you sure you own the video and it's free to you to do with as you like? This is not always true.

Return to posts index

Rick Connolly
on Jun 9, 2010 at 9:42:36 pm

Absolutely....it is 100% our production with no distribution restrictions.

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
on Jun 10, 2010 at 8:50:59 am

A bit less than it would cost them to redo it themselves ....

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 10, 2010 at 2:22:05 pm

A little snarky, but nevertheless he's mostly right about that.

Return to posts index

Rick Connolly
on Jun 10, 2010 at 7:22:44 pm

Thanks,

I've got some calls back from my pals in the biz finally and they gave me some info too....seems that they charge by the second or frames.

One last question....any source you can point me to for wording of conditions ie. "may be used for......not resold....." etc

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on Jun 11, 2010 at 8:21:17 pm

I'd have to second Mike Smith's suggestion...and I'd avoid using "per second or per frame" rates. Using that formula usually ends up putting the cost prohibitively high. As an example....call NASCAR or NFL Films and ask them what it costs for a 10 second clip of a game or race. In both cases it's something like $10,000..which is quite ridiculous. They obviously don't charge networks that since they're promoting their product and have already paid rights fees to broadcast races, so I'm not sure exactly who's paying these ridiculous fees for 10 seconds of footage.

But in my experience, per second or per frame rates always end up being or sounding unreasonably high. Just figure the time & cost it took you to shoot the thing then lower it some and ask then for that amount. How can they object to that?

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com
Read our blog http://www.videomi.com/blog

Return to posts index

Rick Connolly
on Jun 12, 2010 at 9:11:08 pm

Your right.....this is not such a hard and fast question. The suggestions are good, and I ended up mirroring these by what I charged. Basically I took the production cost and charged them close to what my cost where.

Given this was the second sale of the footage, I now turned a profit on it, so I am happy!

Thanks for all your advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]